Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on a C6 Z51

Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Adam 17x
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on a C6 Z51

After much researching of tire brands, wheel options, Forum searching, etc., I finally opted for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires on stock C6 rims for my 2005 C6 Z51. The sizes are 265/35/18 front, 305/30/19 rear. The diameters front and rear are each about a half inch shorter than the stock tires, thus preserving the approximately 1 inch diameter difference that I have been told the computer requires. In choosing these tires, there was a risk that they would not fit well on the stock rims given the respective rim widths are narrower than recommended by Michelin. That risk was amplified by the price of Sport Cups ($276 per front and $514 per rear). Further, as of a couple of weeks ago, I was unable to confirm that any other Forum participants had used these tires.

In short, I took the leap and the Michelins work great. I took the car to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI last Friday for a full day test and tune. My only other mods are DRM front brake ducts, LG spindle ducts, SS brake lines, PFC 01 race pads (front) and Motul 600. The tires (and brakes) worked flawlessly, logging over 75 laps for the day. I tripped no codes. I was to able go into Comp mode and also totally deactivate the stability management, despite the non-stock tire diameter and lack of pressure monitors in the rims. Note, I did park next to my stock tires in the pits so the car could pick up the tire monitor signal between sessions.

The tires are good for 8+ laps before they get a little greasy. The brakes never once faded. I registered a high of 1.29g on the HUD. My high mark with the stock tires was 1.15g. I addition to the extra grip, the Michelins slide progressively and are, therefore, easy to drive. My lap times were 2-3 seconds faster than with the stock tires. (Note that I never went for a full-out lap and always had a passenger in the car. I also had my Spec Racer Ford at the track, so I was able to get my “at the limit” driving in using a more appropriate tool.) After all of those laps, the Michelins were just looking scrubbed. Longevity relative to other R compound tires is reportedly a strong point of the Sport Cups. At $1,600 a set, they had better last.

My alternative to the Michelins was aftermarket 18s all around with Toyo RA-1s. The RA-1s are about $400 per set cheaper than the Michelins (solely due to the lower price for the rears). However, good wheels ranged from about $2,800 for CCWs to $4,000+ for Fikses. I purchased a very lightly used set of C6 non-polished wheels on ebay for about $400. That means it would take a minimum of six sets of cheaper Toyos to offset the price differential on the wheels (assuming that the Toyos last as long as the Michelins).

I highly recommend the Sport Cups for anyone looking to track their C6 in anything short of all out competition. I also believe the Sport Cups are the only choice for drivers who want to participate in Group 1 NCCC events, as Group 1 requires the use of stock sized wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on a C6 Z51