Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about carbotech's

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions about carbotech's

I just received my xp8/xp10 brakes. I noticed the backing plate on the front is not smooth. It has 2 holes counter bored into the plates. Do these just install in the caliper as is or is there a shim/thin backing plate required between the pad and caliper?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That's the way they are made...no backing plates. Just mount them in the caliper as they are! You'll love 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:58 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Thanks Chris. They are going on today! It will be nice to finally have brakes that don't fade 10 minutes into a session.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:28 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep exactly! No backing plates. If you put a micrometer over the pad you'll find the fronts are .400 instead of the usual .375. So they would be really hard to get in with backing plates.

I'm running XP8 on all 4 corners after using the stock Z06 pads. Got DRM ducts, SS lines, Motul fluid. Very good stopping, no overheating or fade, no complaints. Since it is a street driven car the XP8s are great. I can daily drive it with them on too.

Graham
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by wtknght1
That's the way they are made...no backing plates. Just mount them in the caliper as they are! You'll love 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Yep exactly! No backing plates. If you put a micrometer over the pad you'll find the fronts are .400 instead of the usual .375. So they would be really hard to get in with backing plates.

I'm running XP8 on all 4 corners after using the stock Z06 pads. Got DRM ducts, SS lines, Motul fluid. Very good stopping, no overheating or fade, no complaints. Since it is a street driven car the XP8s are great. I can daily drive it with them on too.

Graham

great pads
Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I'm curious... anybody have a picture of this "no backing plate"?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

While we are on the subject of Carbotechs, I have another question? On the J55 caliper, which has a much thinner pad than the C5; is the useful life of the carbotech when you start abrading the head of the rivet, or can you drive them down to the metal backing plate like the PFC's? The rivet protrudes so far on the carbotechs, its almost half the pad material on the C4.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:29 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You can run them all the way down to the backing plates...

They do have a "backing plate" but it's just the plate that the actual material is mounted to. There's no additional backing to just make it look good or maybe to insulate it more.

If you've ever used a PFC pad, you'll see that the actual friction material is mounted to a metal plate that actually fits into the caliper. In addition to the metal plate, they also put a "dress" cover on top of that just to make it look good. It might actually provide a little insulation for the pistons, but it ain't much.

The Carbotechs use a ceramic based friction compound so you don't need any additional insulation because the amount of heat that actually transfers from the pad to the pistons...to the fluid... is much less. In other words, the Carbotechs won't boil the fluid as fast (if at all) like Hawks or other carbon-metallic type pad.

They stop like you've run into a sand dune...and the icing on the cake is that you pay less for that performance!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wtknght1
They stop like you've run into a sand dune...and the icing on the cake is that you pay less for that performance!!!
I can attest to that!! They saved my a$$ when I made that late brake move on Epley going into 1 at VIR. I just watched the video, i didn't start braking until just past the 2 marker!! I think that's why I dropped the front driver side........
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Originally Posted by vms4evr

Graham
I don't mean to hijack the thread but how wide are your wheels in the front? I concerned about rubbing with the DRM ducts. I'm running 11's with 8 1.4 backspacing.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

All this talk about Carbotechs got me to order two more sets today....course I will be at CMP this weekend....
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got about 6 sets with a 1/4 or so left. New strategy is to use my new Milwaukee impact driver to take the wheels off and use em all up. Let's me get rid of these pads, and use my new toy to take off the wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To questions about carbotech's

Quick Reply: questions about carbotech's