Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thill 8/18/06 Field Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thill 8/18/06 Field Report

The NCRC event was not heavily booked event so there was a lot of track time and open space. There were about 8-10 Corvettes including a 600 RWHP STS rear twin turbo Z06. It had tuning issues and turned less than 10 laps. It is an extremely impressive setup that was featured in Corvette magazine. Greg Pickett was there in a Trans Am Jaguar(some shakedown runs) and some other pretty fast racing cars. I was the only C4 and it was evenly split between C5's and C6's. It was hot as usual, probably 100 deg. My best time was a 2:09.8(bypass not corkscrew) with a 2:10.9 in the time trail. I was suffering spot delamination of my front tires(little bits of rubber the size of a dime would peel off to the cord on my Hoosier GAC's) due to the brutal grinding understeer thru turns 3, 4, 5 and 15. The right front ultimately corded beyond the fabric down to the steel belt, the left front only down to the fabric. As far as I can tell the lap times on corded tires are are roughly 3 seconds a lap slower. they feel the same, no vibration, just more understeer(1.12G vs. 1.20G on my Gtech, 175 deg surface temp with an infared pyrometer). I wore out the front and rear brakes at mid day(they had 1 Infinion track day on them) and replaced all the pads in 55 minutes( it would of been faster but I lost a front retaining clip and it took me 5 frantic minutes to find it!) I put used PCF 001's in the front and they had more bite than the KFP Purples that I had in there(1.09G vs. .99G on my Gtech) I got 59 laps in(3 mile track and three fill up's of Gas at 6mpg!) so I got my money's worth. At the end I went out three consecutive sessions until the car just started slowing down and missing at high RPM(due to heat soak.) By the way, I am using and highly recommend RL 10w-40 for the LT(X) compared to the lighter 10W-30; reduced oil temp(293 max yesterday vs. 308 max in comparable conditions with the 10W-30) and less oil consumption.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to have missed it in spite of the heat. The back just wouldn't sit in the car to get there.

Sounds like you pushed like usual and at least from my POV great lap times with a hot track. I've gotten where I now enjoy both the turn 5 over the top and the by-pass, but the high speed hump of the by-pass is now more fun due to finally being able to take it under throttle, having figured out the line. Wish I could have made the body comply. I will be interested to see what they post for the TT times in a week or so. Next date for me is probably NASA Sears Point in Sept.
Randy

Quick Reply: Thill 8/18/06 Field Report