Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports Race report Road America World Challenge (spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default LG Motorsports Race report Road America World Challenge (spoiler)

Hi guys,

Well, we went from the highest high to the lowest low from one race to the next. This was my worst finish in the World Challenge ever except for blowing my engine or crashing.

The adjustments were an abomination. Unfortunately they did exactly what we thought and that was to put us out of the points lead.

Leighton's Corvette was 140 pounds lighter than my car and he could not even keep up with the leaders unless they slowed down. And the #34 Corvette weighed 100 pounds less than my car also so I had a hard time even trying to keep up with him. This was his home track but regardless, the 150 pounds + 40 rewards weight (190 lbs) was just too much to overcome. My team mates were also 140 pounds lighter than my car but an off course excursion by my #87 team mate kept him from finishing better.

So I finished a very un-dramatic 14th place losing the points lead. This was exactly what we predicted but we were hoping lady luck would intervene and allow us to finish better just from attrition but no luck.

Every Viper that came up on me pulled over 4 car lengths on our Corvette. I blocked more than I ever have in my life, to no avail. Fellow's Caddy went off at turn 5 so he fell out of contention but he was just a few cars ahead of me. He was blocking the Vipers as much as I was. They didn't have a prayer either. Oh well, I guess that their methodology is severely flawed.

Now we go into a 3 race "shoot-out" and I just hope they give us a "Gun". There will have to be a wholesale re-adjustment to get the Corvette back in the game.

On the bright side, the Viper and Porsche showed their hand, but not all their hand. The Viper has more, as does the Porsche. It is unfortunate that the Corvette and Cadillac have been crushed so bad this year.

How could that be, considering that we won 2 races? Well I won Mid Ohio by .2 sec when I was protected by a Volvo and with 10 to go, the porsche waited too long to go for the win. And an unexpected green flag after the yellow gave me a head start to hold on to the win.

And at Utah, the Viper of Archer was missing in action with mechanical problems and a crash so he was not in the game. And one Porsche got a black flag and the other one went off track and lost 8 seconds but still came back to fight me for the win but I held on.

So for the last three races the Corvette must be put back to the spec that we started the season with, and that would be to go back to Sebring specs. Then the Porsche and Viper need to add 100 pounds to where they are now. I would also take 50 pounds off of the Cadillac and let's go race.

One might say that this "Might" be a little harsh on the Porsche and Viper. Well, I might say that it will only come close to offsetting what was just done to the Corvette last race.
If you over correct against the Corvette and Caddy, then should you now over correct in their favor to make it up? These are ethical and moral questions that need to be asked.

So, I have confidence that the higher ups at SCCA will do the right thing, rather than just making a token adjustment that "Might" approach equality. To just approach equality would in itself be wrong. They have to go overboard to make sure that they don't give the advantage to the Porsche and Viper once again. This would be flat out wrong if the Porsche and Viper ended up overdogs again.

Enough whining.

We will be at the next race with both guns blazing. Mosport is a "Man's track" so we should do well there. We have been on the podium and led laps there in 2 out of the last 3 races there. I am looking forward to this race and to SCCA doing the right thing.

Thanks for the support.

Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough way to race. RA looks to have too many long straights to be down on top end. Hopefully the powers that be will 'Do the Right Thing'
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they have you where they want you as they pick the winner as usual
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Lou,

You sound very optimistic about SCCA today. Did some SCCA official at this weekends race give you reason to be so optimistic ? I will wait and see, and I hope you are right about some form of positive adjustment for the C6 Corvette in WCGT. My view as a fan of the SCCA management of WCGT over the past several years is that they manage adjustments to make sure their favored marques/teams are in a position to win the championships. Anyway, good luck and thanks for posting so much about your WCGT racing efforts.

Brian
Old 08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck on getting an adjustment. It was very obvious on the T/S site that both the top two cars backed off after lap 8 and cruised till they had a about 3 to go, when they then put up best laps again. But with Leighton doing well at home I'm not optimistic about getting much out of the PTB.
Randy
Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
Lou,

You sound very optimistic about SCCA today. Did some SCCA official at this weekends race give you reason to be so optimistic ? I will wait and see, and I hope you are right about some form of positive adjustment for the C6 Corvette in WCGT. My view as a fan of the SCCA management of WCGT over the past several years is that they manage adjustments to make sure their favored marques/teams are in a position to win the championships. Anyway, good luck and thanks for posting so much about your WCGT racing efforts.

Brian

What is that old saying: "Evil flourishes when good men fail to act".

I still feel that the SCCA BOD has good men in place. And this display was so obvious that the good men WILL act.

Right is might.

LG
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports

I still feel that the SCCA BOD has good men in place. And this display was so obvious that the good men WILL act.

Right is might.

LG
I hope so Lou,
Good luck
Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

That's what I thought happened after looking at the results. With the adjustments, you were basically a lame duck out there. That really gets my blood boiling and I'm going to be downright pissed off (I said before that I'd be disappointed) if they don't make adjustments to your car to make you more competitive at Mosport or if they don't do anything to the Viper's or Porsche's.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck Lou. You have more faith in the SCCA than I do.

Larry
Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Good luck Lou. You have more faith in the SCCA than I do.

Larry
Sorry about your luck at RA Lou.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I watched the race this afternoon. It was painful for me to watch, I can't imagine the frustration you felt in the car with the unfair "adjustments" that were "given".

Right is might.

LG

I hope you're right and they level the field.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2006, 10:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Video soon?

Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 PM
LG Motorsports

Right is might.

LG
Thanks guys.

Well I am happy to announce that "Good men acted" and the adjstments were reversed. The rule change (or change back) was announced last night. The Corvette will go back to the weight that we had at Long Beach and Mid Ohio with the same restrictor as well.

The Caddy, which was also down from the Porsche and Viper, was given a 50 pound weight break plus less restrictor (worth about 20 hp)

So the race next weekend should be the best race of the season.

Thanks,
Lou G

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-11-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

That's great news! Good luck next weekend at Mosport; and I'll be at Laguna Seca, hopefully to celebrate your driver's championship
Old 08-26-2006, 11:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,393 Likes on 746 Posts

Excellent news, Lou! Can't wait to see what happens next in this ongoing saga.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Old 08-27-2006, 01:45 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Video soon?

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports Race report Road America World Challenge (spoiler)

Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone

Old 08-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...They are letting us all race for the win next race...
Great news Lou, I'll be there offering you moral support from the sidelines!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by joemoia
That's great news! Good luck next weekend at Mosport; and I'll be at Laguna Seca, hopefully to celebrate your driver's championship
I'll be there too

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Race report Road America World Challenge (spoiler)