Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Laguna Seca lap record

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default New Laguna Seca lap record

A Toyota Formula One car driven by Ricardo Zonta turned the fastest lap ever recorded on the new Laguna Seca couse. I was down there on Saturday, and I have not watched a modern F1 car in person. Television does not even come close to the sound these things make at 19,000 rpm.

The Monterey Historics were everthing I thought they would be and more. And watching and listening to an F1 car just highlighted a great day. Here is a link to the Toyota site, which includes a turn by turn descirption of driving the course in an F1 car.

http://www.toyota.com/montereyhistoric/

Larry
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Larry, thanks, sounds like the driver also had some fun in one of the pace cars with some folks as well. One description noted the brakes smoking after his hot laps in the pace car.
Randy
Old 08-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
A Toyota Formula One car driven by Ricardo Zonta turned the fastest lap ever recorded on the new Laguna Seca couse. I was down there on Saturday, and I have not watched a modern F1 car in person. Television does not even come close to the sound these things make at 19,000 rpm.

The Monterey Historics were everthing I thought they would be and more. And watching and listening to an F1 car just highlighted a great day. Here is a link to the Toyota site, which includes a turn by turn descirption of driving the course in an F1 car.

http://www.toyota.com/montereyhistoric/

Larry
Sounded like he made about 300 gear changes per lap.From the top of the cockscrewed it looked like he dived down the hill--lol
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Television does not even come close to the sound these things make at 19,000 rpm.
That's what I try and tell everyone. You're missing octaves and the intensity of the sound when you watch it on tv. I was shocked at what they sounded like in person the first time I went to the USGP at IMS.

Was this an older V10 or the new V8? I haven't heard the new V8 yet.

I want to get to the Monterey Historics so bad some day. That's my idea of a car show! It must be incredible to see and hear a dozen or so Ferrari GTO's racing around Laguna Seca.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Never mind. I just read that it's the TF106. It's this season's V8. That's great to hear that you're impressed with the sound. I was worried that they'd lose that once they went to the V8's.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

I would have loved to see him on the original course layout. It was much faster than the current layout.

I am going back for at least three days next year. I would love to get a car so I could enter the event, but if not I will be watching.

Larry
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Never mind. I just read that it's the TF106. It's this season's V8. That's great to hear that you're impressed with the sound. I was worried that they'd lose that once they went to the V8's.
2 yrs. ago Ferrari test driver Andrea Bertolini attempted to break the LS track record driving M. Shumacher's 2003 F1 car but couldn't do better than a 1:09:XX.

Zonta broke the record on Sat. and then lowered it twice on Sun. JMO, the F1 V10 sounded better than the current V8. The V8 can't match the banshee "whine" of the V10, it's has a slightly lower sound.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have loved to see him on the original course layout. It was much faster than the current layout.

I am going back for at least three days next year. I would love to get a car so I could enter the event, but if not I will be watching.

Larry
Car must have a racing history and a invitation from the event promoter.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

My Spitfire actually has the racing history with log books and is old enough. A couple of guys I have raced against were both entered in their cars. I would have to get rid of the small fender flares and back date the interior pannels. The trouble is that the way the classes are put together, I would be spotting way to much horespower. My friend in his Alfa qualified third behind two cars that had probably triple the horsepower.

I will be there watching, but it's fun to dream. All it takes is money.

Larry
Old 08-21-2006, 08:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You really do need to go to a race to appreciate that sound.

The 20k rpm engines are great.
When I went to my 1st one they had V8's 10's and 12's running.
You could HEAR you favorite car coming!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Television does not even come close to the sound these things make at 19,000 rpm.

It's definitly something you feel and not just hear. its a sound that goes right through your body.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:49 AM
tahoeC6
Instructor

[QUOTE=joemoia]2 yrs. ago Ferrari test driver Andrea Bertolini attempted to break the LS track record driving M. Shumacher's 2003 F1 car but couldn't do better than a 1:09:XX.

I was there also, I was standing in the corkscrew area when they fired up the car. It was surreal, like they had just released a wild animal. I will never forget that moment as he came screeming through the corkscrew, it still gives me goosebumps.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:59 PM
johnei
Racer

Anyone find it surprising that he reached sixth gear several times? I suppose the acceleration and braking of the car would mean you'd go through the gears faster than most race cars a short straight would put you in sixth? Or do they have seven speeds?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
You really do need to go to a race to appreciate that sound.

The 20k rpm engines are great.
When I went to my 1st one they had V8's 10's and 12's running.
You could HEAR you favorite car coming!
Yeah.. I thought that the Champ cars were something until I heard an F1 car in person.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
daveydc5
Racer

Thay have 7 forward cogs nowdays.

Originally Posted by johnei
Anyone find it surprising that he reached sixth gear several times? I suppose the acceleration and braking of the car would mean you'd go through the gears faster than most race cars a short straight would put you in sixth? Or do they have seven speeds?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnei
Anyone find it surprising that he reached sixth gear several times? . . . Or do they have seven speeds?
Not only do they have seven speeds, but I am certain the team had the ratios very close for Laguna. It is even more important to keep in that power band with the less torquey V8s.

Ed
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I want to get to the Monterey Historics so bad some day. That's my idea of a car show! It must be incredible to see and hear a dozen or so Ferrari GTO's racing around Laguna Seca.
You haven't heard anything until you've stood on the bridge before turn 7 and listened to 7 liter Chevy Can am cars at full song blow by beneath you. It'll scramble your brains.

Larry
Old 08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Spectator's seat is good but DRIVER'S seat is best.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Spectator's seat is good but DRIVER'S seat is best.
I don't know what was more impressive, watching the Toyota F1 or watching 80 yr. old Dick Guldstrand driving a Camaro in the Trans-Am race

Get notified of new replies

To New Laguna Seca lap record

Quick Reply: New Laguna Seca lap record