Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your favorite tracks and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What are your favorite tracks and why?

I've done track events at Gateway Intl., Road America, Mid America Motorplex, Barber Park, the Autobahn CC, and Heartland Park Topeka.

Gateway is in my back yard about 45 miles away but after a dozen or so events it got old (especiall since it's a small infield track from a NASCAR oval...very hard on tires) and I wanted to see more tracks.

Road America has become my favorite track that I done about 6 events at. It has the most history of any road course in America and those long straights are just made for Corvettes. The downside is that it's a 1,000 mile round trip tow and it's hell on brakes.

Barber Park is a very close 2nd. This track is fantastic, from the challenging track layout and elevation changes to the 4 tieried paddock and facilities, to the incredible landscaping that runs throughout the property as well as along the entire track. The entire place has a sprinkler system!! It's a very challenging track with turns that emulate the carousel at Road America, the blind hill turn at Road Atlanta, and the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Downside: no long straight. 1100 mile tow. It's probably the best track facility in North America.

Heartland Park Topeka is third. I just finished my 1st event there and was impressed with the upgraded facilities for the new home of the SCCA runoffs but I really did like the track configuration also. Downside: to be determined...only about 600 miles tow.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...favorite+track

Old 08-25-2006, 05:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you need to try more tracks. Rd Atlanta, Mosport, VIR, and Sears Point are my favorites. Sears is the toughest track in North America, imho, Mosport the most the most difficult "fast" track (lots of high speed, off camber corners). Most of the other big tracks, like Rd America, are fast, but the straights make up a huge part of the track (boring)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you need to try more tracks. Rd Atlanta, Mosport, VIR, and Sears Point are my favorites. Sears is the toughest track in North America, imho, Mosport the most the most difficult "fast" track (lots of high speed, off camber corners). Most of the other big tracks, like Rd America, are fast, but the straights make up a huge part of the track (boring)
Dave, I would live to do some west coast tracks but living in St. Louis makes it nearly impossible for the guy who does 4 events/year.

You and Lou may be the only guys who can say long straights into slow corners are boring. for me 165 mph into a 45 mph turn in has my full attention.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

OK, didn't see that one.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have two favorite tracks - 1) VIR - one fo the finest locations in the country. Excellent facilities, wonderful track with plenty of runoff in most areas, long straights and challenging elevation changes. 2) Summit Point, WV - Shenandoah Circuit. A moderately short drivers track. It has 18 turns, a bunch of elevation change, and takes quite a while to be able to run it with decent times. You need to try some of our East coast tracks
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
johninar
Drifting

Well since I have a Roadster it is hands down Hallett. Only place I can run without a roll bar. When I win the Lotto, I'll add a Z06 to the garage. Oh I really enjoyed Spring Mountain.... going back for level 2 in April.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Gary,
Maybe we should plan a Gypsy caravan to VIR.
Seems to get high marks from a lot of folks. Any idea what travel time is to it?
Tim
Old 08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

1 Road Atlanta- Fast- And Flowing Awsome Track Almost Safe
2 Nelson Ledges -wicked Fast And Cheap -safe
3 Watkins Glen-challenging -dangerous
4 Beaverun-safe- Slow- But Fun
5 Mid Ohio - Cool-dangerous---strait Too Fast Turns Too Slow..
Old 08-26-2006, 10:30 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

NHIS- short, decent track with lots of elevation changes, off cambers, but absolutely first class NASCAR facilities with garages and the creature comforts are like a country club. For me it is 1/2 and hour away so it is very convenient so in 16 years of running there I know every nook and crannie of the place...

WGI- one of the very best tracks, very challenging, good facilities, crummy local hotels.

Sebring- What a riot, very fast, very rough surface (I used to race Moto-X) but flat as a board. No real garage facilities. The hotel at the track is nice but if you don't get in there, you will be in a fleabag.

Note: I would mention LRP on the other end of the scale, but my mother told me if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Last edited by ghoffman; 08-26-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
2) Summit Point, WV - Shenandoah Circuit. A moderately short drivers track. It has 18 turns, a bunch of elevation change, and takes quite a while to be able to run it with decent times. You need to try some of our East coast tracks
There is no reason for a jump to be in a road course. This is not Motocross.

And for that reason the Shenandoah circuit has my vote for worst track in the country.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Putnam Park because of the unbelievable closure rate RaftRacer has when following me..... But I did end up passing him because he had severe oil leakage in the rearend....
Old 08-26-2006, 08:32 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
Gary,
Seems to get high marks from a lot of folks. Any idea what travel time is to it?
Tim
SET IT UP I'LL GO.. WANT TO TRY IT
Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
Gary,
Tim
VIR looks like a great track, a lot of teams including the factory Corvette boys test there. I'm thinking it would be about an 800 mile tow, which is probably why its not on my radar screen...but maybe if we took a vacation week we could make it work. That would also put Road Atlanta in to the mix also.

I just checked...my guess at 800 miles for VIR was pretty close, 814 from my house. Road Atlanta is 624.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 08-27-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
VIR looks like a great track, a lot of teams including the factory Corvette boys test there. I'm thinking it would be about an 800 mile tow, which is probably why its not on my radar screen...but maybe if we took a vacation week we could make it work. That would also put Road Atlanta in to the mix also.

I just checked...my guess at 800 miles for VIR was pretty close, 814 from my house. Road Atlanta is 624.
Ahh, that's no hill for a climber! Come on down and enjoy 2 of the greatest tracks around! Let us know when you're coming and we'll get a group of us there.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mt. Tremblant...great track, terrific location if you like mountains in the country.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
bpf1970
Intermediate

Heartland Park Topeka is third. I just finished my 1st event there and was impressed with the upgraded facilities for the new home of the SCCA runoffs but I really did like the track configuration also. Downside: to be determined...only about 600 miles tow.
Thanks for coming to play in my backyard! HPT really is a pretty good track but my favorite is Hallett.

Hope to see you again in the future!

Get notified of new replies

To What are your favorite tracks and why?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Ahh, that's no hill for a climber! Come on down and enjoy 2 of the greatest tracks around! Let us know when you're coming and we'll get a group of us there.
It is a lot of fun to run with a crowd......
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Organize a road trip and come on down .
Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are at least 6 of us from WI planning a trip to VIR nest year, our plan is to rent a transporter and split the cost 6 ways. Even if it costs $1000 it's cheaper than towing there and back. Maybe we should look into a second trasporter.

Quick Reply: What are your favorite tracks and why?