Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z06 Rule of Thumb - Ride Height vs Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Default C5Z06 Rule of Thumb - Ride Height vs Alignment

Just curious. Does anyone have a rule of thumb regarding raising/lowering a C5's ride height and its effect on camber and toe? For example - every 1/4" in ride height change is approximately 0.1 deg camber change and 0.05 deg toe change.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this many times, but don't go lowering your car yourself. Take it to a pro shop...one that knows vettes inside and out. Phoenix does mine.

When you lower it incorrectly, you bottom out shocks, screw up corner weights, rake, camber, suspension geometry, etc, etc, etc.

You have no idea just how much that affects these cars!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

corner weight is off from the factory the rest you can set yourself if you know how. Ride height is also something you can set. If you know how to do it the results will be no worse than factory. Slamming isn't the answer either as stated above. Phoenix is great but some here are a long way fron them or anyone else. I'd go there but I can't leave it for the day and return later or wait so I have to drag it two ways on two days and I'm not sure the splitter will clear the alignment machine either.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is very little toe change (bumpsteer is not evil in these cars) and the front will gain more camber when lowered than the rear. I raise and lower both ends of my car in a 1/4 to 1/2" range frequently, and it has not thrown off either setting enough to warrant a camber or toe adjustment - I can measure down to around 1/16" of toe, and .1 degrees of camber with my tools.

If you are working in a 1/2" to 1" range, the front camber change seems to be in around the 1/4 degree range per inch or more. For most near stock cars, the added camber will not be too much for your setup.

Shock bottoming is separate issue, and needs to be checked independent of the others.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I've posted this many times, but don't go lowering your car yourself. Take it to a pro shop...one that knows vettes inside and out. Phoenix does mine.

When you lower it incorrectly, you bottom out shocks, screw up corner weights, rake, camber, suspension geometry, etc, etc, etc.

You have no idea just how much that affects these cars!!!!!!!!!
Wtknght1, turn the rant off, acrace is very experienced in car setup, he has been doing it very successfully for the last 15 (or maybe 20) years. He is lowered right were he needs to be, and is properly corner weighted... He is just wondering how much he is giving up in static negative camber relative to folks that are lower and have shortened shocks....
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
acrace
Drifting

Thanks all.

Yep, I'm looking at some very incremental changes (the range that BPC5R mentions), and wanted to see if I needed to reset toe (in particular).

Solofast - thanks for the comments. I think that I was too low last year, too high right now, and like Goldilocks, want to get it just right.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:47 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Question about this, what exactly do you mean when you say lowering a C5 screws up the suspension geometry? Are you referring to alignment settings, or are you talking about things that I usually associate with suspension geometry such as bump steer, camber gain etc?

Last edited by 69autoXr; 08-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solofast
Wtknght1, turn the rant off, acrace is very experienced in car setup, he has been doing it very successfully for the last 15 (or maybe 20) years. He is lowered right were he needs to be, and is properly corner weighted... He is just wondering how much he is giving up in static negative camber relative to folks that are lower and have shortened shocks....
Not ranting...just facts. I wish someone had told me about these issues when I started (mistakenly) screwing with mine!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably what ACRACE is trying to do is not screw-up his professionally done corner-wieght and alignment when he takes his Koni's off of the car that have too much gas pressure and are too long. Good luck Al call me if you need something....................Let it be low , 4wd is for trucks and SUV's
Old 08-28-2006, 03:15 PM
acrace
Drifting

Raftracer has the right answer!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:42 PM
daveydc5
Racer

This is the problem that I have with my car since instlling the SA Konis. It actually raised the car because of gas pressure. I spoke to Lee Grimes at Koni and he said for about $180 per shock, the could shorten them, make them into DA shocks and lower gas pressure. Has anyone done this? Would it be smarter to just get the DAs?

Dave

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Probably what ACRACE is trying to do is not screw-up his professionally done corner-wieght and alignment when he takes his Koni's off of the car that have too much gas pressure and are too long. Good luck Al call me if you need something....................Let it be low , 4wd is for trucks and SUV's
Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

The change in camber vs. ride height is non-linear (parabolic shaped curve, different front and rear), so the delta camber change is dependent on the actual starting ride heights.

Bob
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
eaa1964
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Let it be low , 4wd is for trucks and SUV's

Danny, get off the web and get my car done. I had to drive the red 4x4 this weekend. when you put 18's square on a stock alignment you looks as though you have a lift kit on and it drives like that too!

I want blue back....please. shut that computer and telephone off.

EAA

Last edited by eaa1964; 08-28-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Don't worry girlie, all is better down here now.......wont be long , I'll call you or Darriin tomorrow
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

18's square doesn't effect anything ride-height wise - it's the total height that rules (tire+wheel) and can be the same as stock.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

She's just crying because she doesn't have her real car.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Mister Raft Racer ,
How Does One Go About Stetting Ride Hight For A Z06, I Would Like To Run The 315x 17 I Ran On My Blowed-up C4 On The 02-zo6 If I Need More Clearance Can I Raise It...

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z06 Rule of Thumb - Ride Height vs Alignment

Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 PM
danswofford
Pro

When it comes to questions like camber, members are very specific and accurate in their recommendations, however in ride height questions answers tend to be vague, like, "not too low". I've wondered why there are not specific recommendations for starting points, more like, "5.25" as measured from the..." Is there no concensus in this area of tuning?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Question about this, what exactly do you mean when you say lowering a C5 screws up the suspension geometry? Are you referring to alignment settings, or are you talking about things that I usually associate with suspension geometry such as bump steer, camber gain etc?

Paging Mr. Ingle.....
Old 08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

at first I thought lowering the car equally all around was the best, but then after talking to many people it seems that the variance from front to back is the most important. Of course I have no idea what that variance number is

Quick Reply: C5Z06 Rule of Thumb - Ride Height vs Alignment