Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto insurance/road race track applic

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto insurance/road race track applic

I just finished mods to my car(sc, forged bottom, brakes, sway bars, shocks). Looking forward to spending 4-5 days per year for fun at track events, slowly learning the ropes.

My current insurance guy indicates my coverage(Erie Insurance) isn't mean't for anything on the track. How so you guys handle that issue. Also I assume I will need to ramp up coverage to cover car improvement.

How do I begin to get the proper coverage and budget for the yearly cost. (I live in Illinois burbs, no tickets, 2004 coupe). I realize insurance cost very by location and are all over the map. I'm just trying to get some basic info to help me get my bearing.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try search there was a recent discussion. No easy answer and it depends on your companies term in the policy. Track insurance I have seen could be 400 a day. So I guess if you can't loose it don't race it. Some comapnies don't exclude HPDE schools and some do.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=insurance

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=insurance

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-28-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does a 401k count as insurance?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by snitz

My current insurance guy indicates my coverage(Erie Insurance) isn't mean't for anything on the track. How so you guys handle that issue.
Dont Hit Chit.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like American Collectors or "self insurance" is the only realistic option for the track. Previous threads speak to auto damage, however the more important issue if I understand is that if your injured or god forbid you and someone else were, you're on your own.

Makes a strong argument for not driving 100% on the track.

PS. Assume that I should include the mods on my car in my Policy in case it's stolen? I have about $30,000 invested ($5,000 of that wheels/tires).
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

American Collectors no longer offers DE insuracne.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 AM
H82WRK
Instructor

Originally Posted by snitz
Sounds like American Collectors or "self insurance" is the only realistic option for the track. Previous threads speak to auto damage, however the more important issue if I understand is that if your injured or god forbid you and someone else were, you're on your own.

Makes a strong argument for not driving 100% on the track.

PS. Assume that I should include the mods on my car in my Policy in case it's stolen? I have about $30,000 invested ($5,000 of that wheels/tires).
If you have a standard actual cash policy or stated value policy then yes you do, if it is agreed value then this should have been considered when the limits were set. Always notify your insurance company, even if you are charged a higher premium it is worth it if you were to ever have a loss.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't just go by what your agent says. Your policy is a written contract so read it thoroughly, especially the exclusions from coverage sections. It's likely any on track activities are excluded.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Don't just go by what your agent says. Your policy is a written contract so read it thoroughly, especially the exclusions from coverage sections. It's likely any on track activities are excluded.

Unless it specifically says you cannot drive the car as you plan on using it. My State Farm policy says no timed events. It does not exclude track events that are not timed. That is why in car timers are discouraged at track events.

Bill
Old 08-29-2006, 08:51 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Auto insurance policies are exclusionary, i.e. if it is not specifically excluded from the coverage than it is included. You have to read the policy. My State Farm policy is silent about any kind of track events, and I have read it several times and I read all amendments. I know how to read legal documents. I expect that I am covered but I also expect to get a real hassle if I make a claim for an on-track drivers education accident.
I also expect to fight the issue with an attorney, if necessary. The language of the policy is the final determinent, it is a contract that specifies all the conditions. If your policy mentions track events of any kind you are not covered.
My brother-in-law is a State Farm agent, whenever I ask him about coverage for a drivers ed accident he says it is not covered. When I ask him to show me the exclusion language in the policy, he cannot. Most agents just sell insurance and when an unusual event occurs they guess at what the policy of the company wil be.
It is all in the policy, what does it say? If they try to stiff you and the policy language does not support there decision, you have to fight it. The insurance company is betting that you will back off.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

"practice, or preparation for a speed contest..." is another snippet of some insurance company phraseology.

If you cannot afford to wad it up... don't track it to the track, PERIOD!

I could see if you do one "School" day to truly learn the limits of your car and to gain an education about how to drive better.... BUT comon!!

Track junkies who repeatedly do HPDE days?? You guys (not saying everyone, you know who you are..) that put claims on a standard insurance policy if you wreck at the track... you're ruining it for EVERYONE.

More and more insurance companies are putting exclusionary verbiage to ward off high-speed "practice" risks. Policies are being changed, and coverage is being dropped for just this reason. Let's try to make it a little more public. This has been beat to death in this forum.

If you wad it up-- soak it up, and move on.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Love hurts
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
"practice, or preparation for a speed contest..." is another snippet of some insurance company phraseology.

If you cannot afford to wad it up... don't track it to the track, PERIOD!

If you wad it up-- soak it up, and move on.
Man Eric your tough
Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

and some ppl wonder why old BMWs and Spec Miata are soo popular

Of course you want to run up front it will cost the same as running a T1 vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto insurance/road race track applic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto insurance/road race track applic