Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rotor suggestions

I've been running stock rotors on my 01 z06 at the track with a Carbotech xp8 pad. I've been having good results, but after my last track day I came up with lots of tiny cracks in my front rotors. Does anyone have a good suggestion for rotors that are streetable but are up to the temperature extremes found on the track?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

most of us accept that we are going to throw our rotors out unfortunately more sooner than later.

Knowing that I started to use rockauto rotors that are only $17 each (suggested by the forum). I have a set dedicated for the street that I painted the center caps (I actually get comments about how good they look and where can they be bought from ).

I then have 2 sets for the track (one on the car that are used and one set of new ones). I just keep buying new ones to replace the ones that crack.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 08-29-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can run NAPA's at 30 ea or two piece from 150-350 or more initial cost and 150-200 rotor ring replace meant. They will all crack after some use. NAPA's heat check then split. I have not run my Stoptechs enough to say yet. They have heat checks at 400 track miles. Waiting to see if they split like NAPA's.

Also season them or they will go into thermal shock no matter how expensive they are.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I run the NAPA rotors for the track then switch back to my bling drilled & slotted for the street. I also change the pads too for the street. If you don't want to change them out then just stick with NAPA ones and run them. They are inexpensive and until they crack all the way to the edge I think they are fine to run with the small hairline cracks
Good luck
Tim
Old 08-29-2006, 10:06 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small cracks are normal, run them till the crack all the way to the edge. Sometimes I get by 4-5 events on rotors with all those little cracks...no problem!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jwg2
...after my last track day I came up with lots of tiny cracks in my front rotors.
I've had spider web cracking on my current rotors for the past two + years of autox and DEs. No other problems so far.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
jwg2
Racer

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Small cracks are normal, run them till the crack all the way to the edge. Sometimes I get by 4-5 events on rotors with all those little cracks...no problem!

That would make me very nervous. sounds like they are more than fine for street service though and I can get some track only rotors
Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are heat checks and are normal with any rotor that sees heavy use. Just keep an eye on them and have an extra set handy.

I would go with the NAPA/Raybestos/Brembo OE replacement rotors (not the big buck Brembo rotors that come with the brake packages). All the same btw.. All of these rotors come from BPC (Brake Parts Company) and all have the same stampings.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
jwg2
Racer

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Those are heat checks and are normal with any rotor that sees heavy use. Just keep an eye on them and have an extra set handy.

I would go with the NAPA/Raybestos/Brembo OE replacement rotors (not the big buck Brembo rotors that come with the brake packages). All the same btw.. All of these rotors come from BPC (Brake Parts Company) and all have the same stampings.

Interesting. Googled heat checks, learned a bunch. I guess I won't worry but will take some spares to the track

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor suggestions

Quick Reply: Rotor suggestions