Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's using the Dewitt's radiator w/ left side oil cooler in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Who's using the Dewitt's radiator w/ left side oil cooler in a C5?

I like the design for the simple house routing and the fact that I still drive my car all year long. I'm hoping it should keep oil temps under 260 while still allowing the car to get up to temp on a cold drive to work.

I'm worried about their adaptor block not playing nice w/ my Kooks headers. They list an lingenfelter one on their site that looks thinner.

Any input?

Any special pricing on these things? My motor is apart and the headers are out so it's prime time to add a cooler.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since your car's primarily street driven, I think a rad/oc is kinda overkill if you aren't experincing excessive coolant temps. A good oil cooler would knock 30+ degrees off your oil temps, is cheaper to do and can be easily taped off to prevent low oil temps during the winter.
This one looks pretty good.
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...Kits+%28LS1%29
Old 08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ True... good call on that one. I'm not experienceing excessive temps, but I do plan on doing 402 way down the road... so I'd allready have the cooling in place.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Dewitt combo unit with the left side oil cooler and Kooks headers. I did not do the install, but I am told the headers need to be loosened to get the adapter plate onto the side of the block. I was not necessarily running super hot, but I did a cam upgrade and new that was going to change, and the labor was included, so I pulled the trigger on the radiator.

As far as liking the design because you can drive it all year round...we'll it more depends on what thermostat you have. You may want to run a 190 thermostat. That may help keep the car warmer during the winter. My car has a 160F thermostat and it runs very cool, maybe even too cool. Even on an 85F day, I may run 182 coolant (or lower) and similar oil on the street. I got the radiator installed in April, so never ran below 50F, but it was running in the 175's. I can't imagine in the winter, may just need to park the car or block the radiator with something. It was an amazing drop for sure...at the track it's down right increadible how cool the car runs.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I have my headers all the way out of the car, install would be simple. I have a 180 stat and re-programmed fans.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed the DeWitt's set-up, but the car I installed it on already had the LPE adapter on it and the headers were Melrose.
I've installed the DRM-Ron Davis set-up also and find that either kit installs with the same amount of PITA.
Either set-up you'll want to loosen the headers, run the hoses and make sure that you put something between the hoses and any rub points. Also cut away the extra plastic on you cooling fan shroud to allow maximum air flow.
After looking at both units here are my thoughts, the Ron Davis unit looks a little higher in quality, but both are very good looking overall, the DRM unit looked a little heavier duty.
The Dewitt's unit runs on the hotter side of the radiator so it helps warm you oil quicker but in turn will run about 7 degrees hotter peak on track.
All in all you can't go wrong with either unit.
But if you are going to install the DeWitt's make sure you talk to Tom to see what breakthroughs he's had when installing his adapter with Kook's headers.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks... I hvae my headers out of the car... so install will be simple. Just want to make sure they'll clear the adapter.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The Ron Davis/DRM radiator will tend to overcool the oil unless you put in a thermostatic bypass valve. In the winter with outside temps around 32 to 40 my oil temp ran around 130 with a 195 degree thermostat. Coolant temp was 190. The only way to bring the oil temp up was to let the engine idle for an extended period so no air was moving through the radiator. Once it was warm enough to drive the car I had to keep the revs up to keep the oil temp above 150. That meant driving on the highway in third gear.

In the summer the radiator kept the coolant at 195 and the oil at 230. If I would have had a thermo lower than 195 I would have overcooled the car. Once the I put the bypass valve in the temps went up in winter and summer.

The radiator is efficient and hot coolant going in the drivers side comes out the passenger side at just about what ever the air temp is.

If the DeWitt is as efficient then it would be a good choice for a street driven car that is also tracked. Keep the thermo at 195 and the engine will be in its power sweet spot and you will be able to drive in cool weather without the restriction of the bypass valve.

Bill
Old 08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
ddl6289
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default We have one on our C5Z06 track car

We have one. Using the LPE block adaptor due to header clearence (FLP headers). Had it installed when we were replacing the motor - a stock LS6 long block. At 2 different HPDE events at Road America in July and August saw oil temps in the low 260s.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Cool... I have an email into Tom on the left side unit w/ LPE block.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the dewitt's and saw 30+ cooler oil temps. Water was no higher than 220. I would like to know what headers will fit with the large dewitt's adapter. I plan on installing the Dynatech's. Any issues?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Just ordered! One radiator w/ left side oil cooler and the hose/adapter kit w/ the lingenfelter adapter block

Anyone have a pic of how to trim up this fan shroud to allow for maximum air flow?

Get notified of new replies

To Who's using the Dewitt's radiator w/ left side oil cooler in a C5?

Quick Reply: Who's using the Dewitt's radiator w/ left side oil cooler in a C5?