Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champ Car Silly Season In Full Swing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:53 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Champ Car Silly Season In Full Swing

Silly season for next year's ChampCar World Series is now in full swing after Formula One driver Christian Klien was offered a drive with PKV Racing for 2007.

Silly season for next year's ChampCar World Series is now in full swing after Formula One driver Christian Klien was offered a drive with PKV Racing for 2007.

Austrian Klien, 23, will be replaced by Australian Mark Webber at Red Bull Racing next year and is not high on the wish-list of any rival Formula One teams.

But the energy drinks manufacturer is keen to keep the driver, who they have backed since 2001, within their driver portfolio.

Red Bull has completed a deal with PKV to sponsor their cars next year in return for one of their own drivers racing for the team.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko confirmed that Klien has 10 days to make up his mind, and will be dropped from the company's books if he says no.

If that happens, Swiss Toro Rosso test driver Neel Jani will get the drive instead.

PKV are likely to keep current drivers Oriol Servia and Katherine Legge next year in what is set to become a full-time three-car lineup, despite Jimmy Vasser's decision to retire completely.

Another driver linked to the third seat is Briton Dario Franchitti, who has not yet been offered a new deal with IndyCar squad AGR and could return to the series where he won 10 times from 1997-2002.

Franchitti could even be in the running for a drive with champions Newman/Haas Racing if double champion Sebastien Bourdais makes an unlikely switch to Formula One as BMW Sauber's test driver.

Further confusing matters is an ongoing doubt as to whether 2002 series champion Cristiano da Matta will return to racing next year.

Brazilian da Matta collided with a deer during a Road America test session earlier this month and is still recovering from serious head injuries in hospital.

His RuSport drive has been left vacant for the past two races, but will almost certainly be filled if he cannot return next year.

Rocketsports Racing owner Paul Gentilozzi tried to establish a Team Brazil at the start of the season, and with Amazonian Antonio Pizzonia returning at Montreal last weekend, plans are back on.

Gentilozzi has earmarked ChampCar Atlantic frontrunner Rafael Matos as Pizzonia's potential team-mate next year and plans to test him soon.

Dale Coyne Racing look set to test Briton Jay Howard – who leads the Indy Pro Series - and Italian Enrico Toccacelo in the near future, although Toccacelo belives he could make his debut before the season's end.

Finally, both Czech Tomas Enge – who drove in IndyCar last year – and Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung are talking to a number of teams about 2007.

Enge, 29, was actually on the verge of replacing Andrew Ranger at Conquest for the final three races of this season before the Canadian put together a late sponsorship deal to save his seat.

http://www.eurosport.com/cart/champ-...to954813.shtml
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

speed.com is reporting that Franchitti may drive for RuSport the last three races of the year; his contract expires with AGR after the last IRL race (not end of the year).
Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say, I think da matta is done. I don't think he will ever drive a race car again. What a freak accident that was! From what I read, he took the whole inpact in the head, very little damage was done to the car. F1 is building to a exciting fisnish, which is nice to see for a change.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteblack
Sorry to say, I think da matta is done.
Not so fast there, partner.

Consider this guy

Then:Now:And as I pointed out in the da Matta thread, RuSport head honcho
Jeremy Dale has been down a similar path and surely will be there
when/if Da Matta needs him.

Let's wait and see how the competitive spirit in '02 Champ da Matta
rises to deal with this setback.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteblack
Sorry to say, I think da matta is done. I don't think he will ever drive a race car again. What a freak accident that was! From what I read, he took the whole inpact in the head, very little damage was done to the car. F1 is building to a exciting fisnish, which is nice to see for a change.
I don't think he's done. From what I've seen, Cristiano is a racer's racer and will do anything he can to get behind the wheel of a race car again. A similar thing happened with Roberto Guerrero and he made it back to racing. You never know..

I'd like to see Franchitti and more IRL and F1 drivers make a jump to Champ Car. I think it will strengthen the series.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Montoya ends up back in OW once he gets tired of CRASHCAR.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by acrace
speed.com is reporting that Franchitti may drive for RuSport the last three races of the year; his contract expires with AGR after the last IRL race (not end of the year).

Here's a story on it.

Dario Franchitti is set to make a return to the Champ Car world series.

According to Speed TV's Robin Miller, Franchitti will fill in for the injured Cristiano da Matta in the No. 10 RuSport Racing car for the remainder of the Champ Car season, starting at Road America on September 24.

Franchitti is set to finish out the Indy Racing League season next weekend in Chicago. That race could also mark the Scotsman final one with Andretti-Green Racing as his contract with the team is set to expire.

Franchitti last raced in the Champ Car series in 2002 with Team Green. He recently denied rumors that he would be joining PKV Racing in 2007.

RuSport has failed to enter Da Matta's car in each of the last two races after the Brazilian collided with a deer during testing at Elkhart Lake last month. Da Matta is currently recovering in hospital and is making excellent progress from a serious head injury sustained in the crash.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing

Get notified of new replies

To Champ Car Silly Season In Full Swing

Quick Reply: Champ Car Silly Season In Full Swing