Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFADT Coilovers - anyone tried them

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:01 PM
SiegZ06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PFADT Coilovers - anyone tried them

If you have tried them what are the good and bad with them?

thanks

John
Old 09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
vetteztr
Navigator

I have the Pfadt coilovers, along with the sway bars on my 2000 Coupe. The ride on the street is much better than the z51 or z06 setup (I've had both on the car). The car doesn't skip or do strange things anymore when hitting rough pavement in a turn at speed. On ramps are great, no wheel hop, and the nose dives a lot less under hard braking. On the track, the difference is just as great. The car is glued to the corners. I run with the Porsche club at Miller Motorsports in Utah, the Corvette will gain ground on a new GT3 in the tight sections! I run Toyo RA1's at full tread depth on track and off, they were on shaved race tires. The adustability is nice, too.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
SiegZ06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the reply, anyone else?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

I'm not going to put words in anyones mouth, but ask over on DigitalCorvettes. There are a bunch of people over there who have them on their cars.

-Aaron
Old 09-04-2006, 08:25 AM
jlucas
Racer

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/inde...e=pfadt-racing
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Your sway bars look really, really, nice, congrats! Have you tested them on a C6Z yet? Can you adjust the Heims without removing them off the bars?
How about some details on your coilovers like: how you adjust them, rebuild/revalve services etc?
I hate to say this but I hope you are not the one driving in the video, that person has alot of very bad driving habits!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pfadt racing builds some really nice sway bars. Finally adjustable bars by shaft or lever arm adjustment.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Your sway bars look really, really, nice, congrats! Have you tested them on a C6Z yet?
We have several sets on the C6Z. Those cars are fab, but at their core they are still very much a C6. The same things that work to make a C6 fast will make a Z faster, the bar is just higher to start out.

Can you adjust the Heims without removing them off the bars?
The heims must be removed from the control arm or sway bar arm to adjust them. The distance is just too short to have a RH and LH thread with a connector. However, on our bars the heims are very easy to adjust because you can actually remove the whole arm from the bar with one bolt. It sounds weird, but it makes the process very simple.

How about some details on your coilovers like: how you adjust them, rebuild/revalve services etc?
They can be rebuilt (we have sets to exchange out) although, they should not need that type of service for several seasons. Custom valving is not a service we currently offer, but the valving available should allow for quite a range of spring choices should someone feel the need to go stiffer or softer on the spring rate. The springs are a standard size so they can be changed easily. The damping is adjusted by a **** at the top of each shock. It can be reached through the fender well for the fronts and through the passenger compartment in the rear with a small access hole on each side.

I hate to say this but I hope you are not the one driving in the video, that person has alot of very bad driving habits!
On the video, it depends on which one you are talking about. There are a couple floating around on DC. The video 'montage' of track driving is me behind the wheel but the street driving video with the camera aimed at the rear tire is the customer.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
ace996
Pro

Aaron,
I'm debating going the T1-swaybars route but I'm intrigued about your sways...they look like very nice pieces. What are the relative stiffnesses of the different positions? I have a 2002 Z06 that I autox and trackday...and daily drive to work.

So...how stiff can they get?

Thanks,
ace
Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Check out the product review over on digital corvettes.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/inde...racing-install

Old 09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ace996
Aaron,
I'm debating going the T1-swaybars route but I'm intrigued about your sways...they look like very nice pieces. What are the relative stiffnesses of the different positions? I have a 2002 Z06 that I autox and trackday...and daily drive to work.

Thanks,
ace
We have installed a few of these for customers and I would strongly recommend them over T1 bars (hands down). I simply think that the T1 bar is far too harsh for civilized street driving. With this bar you can soften it up for the street and stiffen them up for the track. Your car's handling will be more adjustable for your driving style with these bars as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein
With this bar you can soften it up for the street and stiffen them up for the track. Your car's handling will be more adjustable for your driving style with these bars as well.
How exactly does the bar get softer or stiffer. Do you change the mount point from one of the 3 holes on the arm? Or do you move the arm on the bar itself?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ace996
Aaron,

Thanks,
ace
Ace,

Sorry for the late return to this post. Here is my standard spiel about stiffess. Probably should post this on my website. Let's assume the C5 Z06 sways are a 1. Our sways are a 1.5 nominal. They really adjust around that number. There is more room for adjustabilty in the rear, so the range is larger there. The adjustment is about 20% in the front and 40% in the rear. The length of the lever arm (what we adjust) has a linear relationship to stiffness. The T1 bars are about a 3. They are really stiff. They may work well in a certain setup, but not for most. We are building a set of our bars that approach T1 stiffness for dedicated track cars. They will be called Pfatty bars. I have a few people running them right now and should have a small production batch in a week or so.

For your situation, I would go with our standard bars. You can dial out that understeer you have and pick up some roll stiffness without killing the ride of the car.

Hope this helps. Call or write if you have any other questions.

-Aaron
Old 09-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
How exactly does the bar get softer or stiffer. Do you change the mount point from one of the 3 holes on the arm? Or do you move the arm on the bar itself?
The stiffness is changed by shortening or lengthening the lever arm. On our bars the end link is moved to a different hole in the sway bar.

-Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To PFADT Coilovers - anyone tried them

Quick Reply: PFADT Coilovers - anyone tried them