Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Burns to the ground ! Chevyrevitup

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Burns to the ground ! Chevyrevitup

I David "Itchy *****" Lehman have an update for all my fellow vette nuts, on the Chevy Rev it up incident in Miami.......

I was out there on Saturday, the day the incident happened, but I did my runs and left. (finished 11th by the way, for the two days.)

Anyway I had purchased a ticket for a ride in the Z06, but as I drive a Danny Popp prepared Z06 with about, (C5), 400 rwhp, and weiging about 2900 lbs, I thought the acceleration would be similar. However, I felt that it might have been a little unsafe, as I heard that the speeds might have gotten up close to 100 mph. I have no idea if the speed claim is true, or frankly extactly how I came to hear the 100 mph quote.

The Z06 ride was on a interior road maybe 600 feet long, at the Hialeah throughbread racetrack---(not sure of exact length of road)---but I know I would not want to flying on it as it was lined with palm trees on each side.

Ok---now finally getting to my "SCOOP"--
My local autox club, which runs at Hialeah, was doing a "National Practice" for the Solo Championships in Topeka, today.

And a fellow who also runs with SCCA nationally, and does programming for SCCA and stuff like that, and he also competed and Chev rev it up, on Saturday morn with me----

Anyway---Finally---He told me that there was an incident there later in the day on Saturday----

The instructor had a female passenger in the car---the car reached a "high rate of speed" (my words not his)---drivers foot went to the floor (no brakes---that were his words)----couldn't stop the car----driver thought about crashing into ornate fountain on the grounds, but slammed into curb, not sure if the fire hydrant also got wacked. Car battery then proceeded to "Explode"---somehow locking the door. (I asked my buddy who sets up our local courses, who is also a Chevy service manager, and he said there is a emergency release in the car when electrial malfunction happens like when a "battery exploding locks you in the car" (my words). I guess the "pro" didn't know about the emergency release if there is one, and I guess he was a little preoccupied since the car was on fire ! He, the driver then kicked out the window, not sure windshield or side window, but probably side window, and both passengers got out. With maybe no injuries, or just a few bumps and bruises. (But I bet they both needed a new change of underwear).

The car burnt to ground, and was a pile of junk, as one my friends at the event today had handed me a small mangled piece of metal (aluminum ?), that just might have come from the suspension of that car---scratch one Z06. Needless to say that was the end of the "Z06" rides for the other rev it up cities. Not sure if the Z06 rides continued Sunday, but I doubt it.

Respectfully Submitted
David "Itchy *****" Lehman

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 09-03-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I bet the Chevy reps will have a few words with them on that

Why didn't they have a "driver's ed" brake pedal installed for the instructor? Not to meantion a cut off switch?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I bet the Chevy reps will have a few words with them on that

Why didn't they have a "driver's ed" brake pedal installed for the instructor? Not to meantion a cut off switch?
i'm pretty sure that at the chevy revitup thing the instructor drives you around a course.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I must say - I think the c6 electronic door handles are a complete joke...
Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up. Too bad REVITUP didn't let anyone know in advance their hotlaps with the pro's weren't gonna happen in the next 4 cities. Honestly that was 1/2 the reason I signed up and drove 4 hours.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate the new doors on all the c6's. What a joke, at the car show I saw more then five people locked into a C6. Bad idea all the way around. After this last ordeal I hope someone changes this door thing back to what we all know how to use. Not the current hidden door latch.

Randy
Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I hate the new doors on all the c6's. What a joke, at the car show I saw more then five people locked into a C6. Bad idea all the way around. After this last ordeal I hope someone changes this door thing back to what we all know how to use. Not the current hidden door latch.

Randy
They are saving money like no keys in doors, no ignition key, cut everything mechanical because nothing is cheaper than electronics. Then it will propogate through the entire line up and industry.Few people will have to burn up first.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

too much electronic stuff in the C6
Old 09-04-2006, 08:29 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

New urban legend? That didn't take long...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=Z06+burned

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Burns to the ground ! Chevyrevitup

Quick Reply: Z06 Burns to the ground ! Chevyrevitup