Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA TT rule interpretation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA TT rule interpretation

I'm confused about NASA's upclassing rules. I know some of you run NASA TT and perhaps you could clairify for me.

In TT rule 6.2 it says that a TTA car (mine is a Z06) with >35 points would move up two classes to TTU.

In TT rule 6.3.1 it says that 20 thru 39 points moves you up ONE class or it would take 59 points to go up two classes.

I want to run in TTU, and of course would like to use up to 39 point mods via rule 6.3.1

However 39 points in rule 6.2 would land me in TTR
Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Chris is on this board, I think he had a lot to do with writting the rules. Most of those guys are in Ohio this week for the Nationals.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'm confused about NASA's upclassing rules. I know some of you run NASA TT and perhaps you could clairify for me.

In TT rule 6.2 it says that a TTA car (mine is a Z06) with >35 points would move up two classes to TTU.

In TT rule 6.3.1 it says that 20 thru 39 points moves you up ONE class or it would take 59 points to go up two classes.

I want to run in TTU, and of course would like to use up to 39 point mods via rule 6.3.1

However 39 points in rule 6.2 would land me in TTR
I haven't left for the Nationals, I leave in the morning so I'll give you their interperation.

I think you might have misread 6.2. When it says "includes all TTA base class cars with greater than 35 modification points" it refers to the cars that will move to TTR. That whole paragraph is referring to TTR migration. Since the Z06 is a TTA base car, it means it will go to TTR with 35 + points.

Granted, 6.3.1 does say 20-39 up one class, but for reasons known only to Greg Greenbaum, TTA can only accrue 35 before we have to move up to TTR. I don't know why TTA is penalized the 4 points, but we are.

BTW, 40 points, not 59, moves you up 2 classes.

Many of us don't see the advantage of moving to TTU. I've kept my points to 19 or less so I can stay in the TTA group. The TTU gets some real hotrods and it's hard for a Z06 to maximize enough points to be real effective in the TTU (except for Danny Popp, who could drive a MoPed to track records in any class ).

I'll be running in the TTA class at the national in the next few days, and after reviewing the roster of the cars that will be there, I'm just hoping I won't finish last.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
(except for Danny Popp, who could drive a MoPed to track records in any class ).

yah ain't that the truth.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been in the hospital with my kid for the last week straight, so this answer is going to be REAL short........

'01-'04 Z06= TTA plus 7. 28pts in addition for a total of 35=TTU. I have alot more on this but no time to type. 36pts=TTR. NASA does not like Z06's, If you had a 99-00 FRC though or regular C5 , you cant go to TTR unless in excess of 560 rwhp , modified floor pan, dog-ring gerabox. They dont see thta when modded the Z06 loses all of its advantages. I have raised enough stink about this hopefully something will be changinbg.........Read the intent of TTR and TTU in the rules, seems pretty simple to me...............
Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Been in the hospital with my kid for the last week straight, so this answer is going to be REAL short........

'01-'04 Z06= TTA plus 7. 28pts in addition for a total of 35=TTU. I have alot more on this but no time to type. 36pts=TTR. NASA does not like Z06's, If you had a 99-00 FRC though or regular C5 , you cant go to TTR unless in excess of 560 rwhp , modified floor pan, dog-ring gerabox. They dont see thta when modded the Z06 loses all of its advantages. I have raised enough stink about this hopefully something will be changinbg.........Read the intent of TTR and TTU in the rules, seems pretty simple to me...............

Hope everything is O.K. with the family Danny

Best of luck at nationals if you can make it.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

based on hp ..i should be in ttu,,but chris insisted i run ttr...hmmmmmm
johnny
Old 09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
johnny
They dont care about your power level if it is a Z06, only if it is a C5 coupe , convertible or FRC........Z06's as I have already said in other threads are screwed
Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Hope everything is O.K. with the family Danny

Best of luck at nationals if you can make it.
He is still in the hospital, but things are looking better. Still not sure if I am going to be able to make it or not. However if I do, I have alot of frustration to "vent" through my steering wheel...........
Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

johnny
Johnny, it's based on more than just horsepower. Brake pads are worth points, tire sizes are worth points, replacement seats are worth points, tires are worth points, etc. So, as you can see, horsepower is only a small portion of the formula.

As Danny points out, the Z06 starts with a 7 point penallty out of the box, and it's hard to stay below the threshold that keeps me in the "A" class. But with my lack of driving skills, I stand a far better chance in the "A" than I do in the "U."
Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For giggles I plugged my '87 RX-7 TurboII racecar into the NASA TT classing program... end result was TTA. That's for a car that's well under 2400lbs (ie. stripped bare, caged), 400hp (upgraded turbo, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, flywheel, ECU, injectors, ... you name it), coilovers, etc. About all it's missing is enough rubber under the fenders (currently just 225s on it). Shocked me that with everything done to it it would land in the same class as my C6 Z51.

What can you do to a C6 Z51 and stay in TTA? I love my C6, but if I ever get the RX-7 running again I'd be surprised if it wasn't the quicker of the two.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Johnny, it's based on more than just horsepower. Brake pads are worth points, tire sizes are worth points, replacement seats are worth points, tires are worth points, etc. So, as you can see, horsepower is only a small portion of the formula.

As Danny points out, the Z06 starts with a 7 point penallty out of the box, and it's hard to stay below the threshold that keeps me in the "A" class. But with my lack of driving skills, I stand a far better chance in the "A" than I do in the "U."
in this case then,there should be some trade off for weight
Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
For giggles I plugged my '87 RX-7 TurboII racecar into the NASA TT classing program... end result was TTA. That's for a car that's well under 2400lbs (ie. stripped bare, caged), 400hp (upgraded turbo, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, flywheel, ECU, injectors, ... you name it), coilovers, etc. About all it's missing is enough rubber under the fenders (currently just 225s on it). Shocked me that with everything done to it it would land in the same class as my C6 Z51.

What can you do to a C6 Z51 and stay in TTA? I love my C6, but if I ever get the RX-7 running again I'd be surprised if it wasn't the quicker of the two.
There a "special" rule supplements dealing with rotor motors..........And alot of grey area's that you need to really study. You must take points for all mods that have to do with a mod .....ie: tuning with camshafts (i know you have none in the rotor) coilovers can be a +12 (ouch) special ECU's take alot of points also. Be careful......
Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Best wishes Danny
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There a "special" rule supplements dealing with rotor motors..........And alot of grey area's that you need to really study. You must take points for all mods that have to do with a mod .....ie: tuning with camshafts (i know you have none in the rotor) coilovers can be a +12 (ouch) special ECU's take alot of points also. Be careful......
Yeah, but it's base class is something like TTZ with no penalty points. ;-) I think I clicked all the right boxes in the NASA TT Classing form. I wish that form would tell you how many more points you can add and stay in the same class, though.

Even so, the fact that something that shares next to nothing but the body and motor with the stock car is classed outside of TTU/TTR is a little surprising to me.

(Yes, the motor is a Darryl Drummond "stock" 13BT block... turbos don't care for much more than a streetport and you trade tq for hp with the streetport.)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

in this case then,there should be some trade off for weight
Oh, there is a trade off. You can make it as heavy as you want, but if it's ballast, it can't exceed 200 and must be securely mounted. As far as lightening, there are significant points charged for that.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM
danswofford
Pro

OK,
So 20 bumps to TTU and 36 bumps to TTR.

I'm already modded to TTU so unless I start stripping down it looks like that is my class.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA TT rule interpretation

Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Oh, there is a trade off. You can make it as heavy as you want, but if it's ballast, it can't exceed 200 and must be securely mounted. As far as lightening, there are significant points charged for that.
Seems like the NASA classification system for Z06's is an...

accountant's dream !!!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
danswofford
Pro

I really like NASA's, run-what-you-brung, classing system. Mod it anyway you want and they will find you a place to run.

Looks like it would be really easy to end up in TTU and TTR running up against some really increadible cars. I'm not sure anyone with an Enzo would ever show up and drive their car hard but I'll be in the same class.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:39 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone in each class will firgure out the optimum setup and whoop up on us amateurs I am sure - but it sure is fun to play with points to see what works best. My FRC base class is TTB and I am doing my best to stay there (chasing Jody around in TTA would get old) - but upmodded cars from lower classes will be a challenge (e.g., Timzo6's Z28 with a gazillion HP).

It is really nice that you can sign up and run no matter what....

Quick Reply: NASA TT rule interpretation