Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All AutoX I need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:17 PM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All AutoX I need help

I started racing AutoX it is fun my problem is that cars with less HP are beating me. Am I at a disadvange because I drive an A4 all these cars seem to be manual. I seem to be the only American out there. Should I Drive in 2nd gear because it seem like the car is always try to downshift on its on which puts me to fast for the next gate or turn. Newbi AutoXer need help
Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

1. Lessor powered cars are beating you because, right now, all the drivers are better than you. Autox is one type of racing that rewards the driver much more than car mods.

2. Read the sticky post at the top of this forum. There's a ton of info in there, probably answering all of the questions you have right now.

3. Have fun! No one doing this is trying to make money!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

starting out is not kind to your ego, but VetteDrmr is probably right, at this stage, it's you not the car. Some of the guys in "lesser" cars have probably been doing this 10-15 years. Just stick with it, learn as much as you can and eventually, you're time will come.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
Just stick with it, learn as much as you can and eventually, you're time will come.
If autox was easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Have a good one (and wecome to the asylum!),
Mike
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the right pedal does not hae to go all the way down and it is reeally important to learn to brake early. it is the original slow in fast out sport. find someone who is good and preferably drives a high hp/rwd car and get his or her advice, ride with them, and have them ride with you.

You might want to try evolution school school too
Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the question was: should I drive in second gear with an A4 trans.. Good question, I have been trying to figger this out myself..
Have a SM2 C5 preping for BP with mn6 and 3.42.
just finished building a salvage C5 vert stocker with an A4 and did an autox before it was really finished and found when left in 2nd it would not downshift when you powered out of corners..The only time it would downshift good on its own is when I leave it in OD or shift it yourself..
I have since reprogramed a bit and improved the upshift alot but yet to improve the downshift... This is a '98 so your results may vary..
Joe
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If you leave it in 1st do you hit the rev limiter?
Are you on street tires or R compounds?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
GK VETTLOVER
Racer

thanks guy your advice helps ALOT. I am on street tire (I run in street tire class) I tried running in 2nd (BTW I have a 98 Corvette A4) Its seem to come through turns find short straights seems slower to me. Alot nice people at events have taken me for rides and showed me were to improve this is my first year so I am hoping to get better.

Gerald
Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A well driven Oriental 4x4 as in STI or EVO on a tight course is not to be taken lightly at any level.

Get notified of new replies

To All AutoX I need help

Quick Reply: All AutoX I need help