Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching TIme Trials

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Matching TIme Trials

Can some one explain the difference between Matching Time Trials and AutoX?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:08 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure about Matching TT.

TT is usually one car at a time on a road course & best time wins.

AX is usually cones in a parking lot.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Lots of Corvette clubs run a "matching times" event early in the day. Generally it consists of three runs, and the one with the smallest gap between any two of those runs is the winner. Some people try to run them slowly and consistently, others run them as hard as they can, as practice for the event later in the day (generally run on the same course).

If you run them as hard as you can, generally by the second run you are at your limit and then you will match that pretty well.

The first trophy I won at a Corvette club event was a Corvette T shrt won at a matching times event. Problem was I was driving a Mazda and it torqued all the vett guys off that I won their prize... I had all three runs within .030 seconds that day, and ran them all as hard as I could....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA TT is a little different than most. All time trialers on the track at the same time. They require a license, which only means you have run in the advanced level for a while and passing is open. At the nationals they established grid based on fastest time so far in the event. I like the NASA format pretty well but they are the only club i know right now that runs them that way.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Well this is going make things a little harder. I have been running AutoX for about 2 years now and this weekend a club is having a triple AutoX with a triple matching time trials in PA. I usually start slow (with a safe run) and get faster each time out. Sometimes as much as a 2 seconds faster between the last two runs. Now I have to alter my ***** to the wall approach.

Thanks for the Info.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Al77Vette
Well this is going make things a little harder. I have been running AutoX for about 2 years now and this weekend a club is having a triple AutoX with a triple matching time trials in PA. I usually start slow (with a safe run) and get faster each time out. Sometimes as much as a 2 seconds faster between the last two runs. Now I have to alter my ***** to the wall approach.
Thanks for the Info.
Planning on being there in a '03 Silver Z06 ... first for me too
Old 09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you use it as a learning experience matching times can be fun.

I use it to practice being smooth and fast from the beginning. If you try to go "***** to the wall" on every run you will just end up making one or two "big mistakes" on each run and it will be worthless... You may match times pretty well, but if you do it will be by luck and the grace of god... If you don't get crazy, you will do suprisingly well...

Get into a "smooth and fast" mode and not a "let it all hang out" mode...

Really good autocross drivers don't improve much between runs, they are just fast from the start. Try to go out and go as fast as you comfortably can without being overly agressive. You will be surprised how smooth and fast you can be when you aren't trying to go quite as agressively as "***** out". Then when you run the autocross later in the day you will have a good knowledge of what you can do on that course. Remember, it is the "big mistake" that blows a lot of time...

Get notified of new replies

To Matching TIme Trials

Quick Reply: Matching TIme Trials