Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Z06 w/ 64k "normal" for a little oil/grease on lower timing chain cover??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default '01 Z06 w/ 64k "normal" for a little oil/grease on lower timing chain cover??

I'm seriously **** when it comes to the car's mechanics, I've never hosed off under the hood though b/c the knock sensors weren't seled until now... I installed my tunnel plate heat shield tonight and started looking over the underside of the car. Since I have so much of the car apart I can actually see the lower part of the timing chain cover. I was cleaning off the crank pully, had track boogers on it (rubber from racing tires) and I saw that my fingers were comming out black... so I inspected closer and found this...

Also grease buildup on the powersteering gear

I looked on ls1howto and realized all those pics show this area and the crossmember filthy, mine looks nothing like that. Is something seeping or is this "normal" over time.

The car was re-ringed back in '04 w/o issue. Being my **** self I got out some brake clean and shot up the area, then guessing brake clean might be to hardcore I hosed the front of the motor off then got out simple green sprayed it all over, then hosed off again.

Is there something "wrong" or is it normal for this area to have a little buildup over time for a car that gets driven hard and almost everyday?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had almost the exact same oil spot when doing my H/C at 55k miles on my 02. I just assumed it was the car being dirty, but after getting my hands in there it was oily.

In my case, the round seal under the crank pulley in that timing chain cover (sorry, can't recall the name, but I'm sure someone will) was very worn. The problem has not returned since replacing it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

After 140K+ miles, numerous autox and track days, my front seal leaks a small amount of oil. It doesn't take much to make a mess, and considering the work that is involved to replace the front main seal, I'm just going to leave mine alone.

So, I think you're fine with the seepage you're seeing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine looked a lot worse than that at 80K ,
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks guys... I'm just going to clean the car very very good after I get it all back together and keep an eye on it. It must be very minor as I've never cleaned the area and it's not terribly bad. Not enough to make the x-member dirty or ge the oil pan dirty.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They love to leak from the front cover to the oil pan too. The seals are pretty good but the wear a grove into the balancer. Then start to leak.

Randy
Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks guys... like I said I'll clean it up and keep an eye on it for excessive leaking. I think it's just seeped some over time and build up dirt.

It's making me wish I'd done a cam now Oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To '01 Z06 w/ 64k "normal" for a little oil/grease on lower timing chain cover??

Quick Reply: '01 Z06 w/ 64k "normal" for a little oil/grease on lower timing chain cover??