Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Carbotech pads to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 AM
SCEMO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Carbotech pads to buy?

hey guys ... just wondering which carbotech pads I should by for roadracing? I have a set now that need replacing after 3 track days. I don't know whcih I have now ... but they were $110 for the fronts. Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCEMO
hey guys ... just wondering which carbotech pads I should by for roadracing? I have a set now that need replacing after 3 track days. I don't know whcih I have now ... but they were $110 for the fronts. Any suggestions?
Most that use Carbotech are on XP-10,11, or 12 or some combination thereof,
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 AM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Most that use Carbotech are on XP-10,11, or 12 or some combination thereof,
Do you know the difference in the three?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The higher the number, the more aggressive the pad. What tires are you running? Is this actual W2W road racing or DE's? Are you going to use these pads on the street or just the track?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I run XP12s on front and 10s on rear, which gives a really sweet weight xfer when you apply the brakes, and allows you to rotate the car nicely. I go thru 2 sets of fronts to one set of rears.

If you don't want the car to 'dive' so much, then increase the number (XP11 or 12) on the back or decrease the number on the front. Most of the guys running W2W who want the best braking possible are running the 12/10 combination.

No matter which combination you choose, it will work on the street too and the dust is non-corrosive due to the fact that it's a ceramic compound and not just carbon metallic. In other words, it won't weld itself to the wheels and clean up is much, much easier! The other great difference is that because it's a ceramic mix, heat xfer into the caliper and fluid is much less so there's less chance of boiling the fluid. Great stuff!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by xsiveone
The higher the number, the more aggressive the pad. What tires are you running? Is this actual W2W road racing or DE's? Are you going to use these pads on the street or just the track?
The car is driven on the street and on the track and is mostly used for DE's ... but real soon it will be used in actual races.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I run XP12s on front and 10s on rear, which gives a really sweet weight xfer when you apply the brakes, and allows you to rotate the car nicely. I go thru 2 sets of fronts to one set of rears.

If you don't want the car to 'dive' so much, then increase the number (XP11 or 12) on the back or decrease the number on the front. Most of the guys running W2W who want the best braking possible are running the 12/10 combination.

No matter which combination you choose, it will work on the street too and the dust is non-corrosive due to the fact that it's a ceramic compound and not just carbon metallic. In other words, it won't weld itself to the wheels and clean up is much, much easier! The other great difference is that because it's a ceramic mix, heat xfer into the caliper and fluid is much less so there's less chance of boiling the fluid. Great stuff!!!!

Wow ... great information. Thank you! I think I'll go with your first recommendation of 12's and 10's. Where do you suggest I purchase them ... online?

One other question ... I'm running the Napa Disposible rotors and was wanting to try something else.I found two (the slotted Brembo's ($289/Front) and slotted Aimco's ($200 Front). Has anyone had experience with either?

here is a link:
http://www.discbrakesrus.com/make/ch...t/corvette.htm
Old 09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
stairman
Racer

Keep the cheap rotors, If i remember correctly Rock Auto is the least expensive rotor. As for pad purchase I am not sure, i tried Carbotechs web site today and nothing on it worked. I am sure WTKNIGHT1 will know, i am currently running his used pads with great success.

Last edited by stairman; 09-20-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
M_Minnick
Advanced

I'll be attending my first HPDE next month with my '07 Z51 coupe and just ordered a set of Carbotech's. They recommended running XP8's front and rear due to it being my first time and running on street tires. I was planning on using these pads strictly for track duty. Are you saying I can leave them on for street duty. I am not concerned with dusting, i would like them not to squeak, though. I also ordered the smaller Napa-style rotors for track duty, so pad life should be improved over the cheese-grater Z51 rotors.

Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't find the XP8s to be too squeeky on the street. XP10 is pretty loud.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Minnick
I was planning on using these pads strictly for track duty. Are you saying I can leave them on for street duty. I am not concerned with dusting, i would like them not to squeak, though.
With those pads, they may or may not squeak. the more aggressive pads (i.e. the 10s and 12s) do squeak. If this is your first DE and you have no prior track experience the stock pads will work fine. Your focus needs to be (among other things) on smoothness and consistency not dive-bombing into the corners with late braking to set up a pass

Originally Posted by M_Minnick
I also ordered the smaller Napa-style rotors for track duty, so pad life should be improved over the cheese-grater Z51 rotors.
The rotors need to be the same size unless you're also adding a different caliper bracket and/or changing calipers. They won't be drilled which is fine, but they're not "smaller" (i.e. they have the same thickness and diameter as the stock rotors). If they are smaller, they won't work.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SCEMO
Wow ... great information. Thank you! I think I'll go with your first recommendation of 12's and 10's. Where do you suggest I purchase them ... online?

One other question ... I'm running the Napa Disposible rotors and was wanting to try something else.I found two (the slotted Brembo's ($289/Front) and slotted Aimco's ($200 Front). Has anyone had experience with either?

here is a link:
http://www.discbrakesrus.com/make/ch...t/corvette.htm
Just call carbotech directly...talk to Dan, Chris or Matt...and tell 'em Chris said HI! (877) 899-5024 You can also look at their site: carbotecheng.com Great bunch of folks to work with!!!

Don't waste your money on expensive rotors unless you are planning on doing a serious brake upgrade (Brembo, Alcon, etc). Those slots and holes, et. al. just act a cheese grater on your pads and chew them up faster. Keep spending $100/set on the rockauto.com rotors/NAPA and getting lots of good, cheap seat time! When you get to the point where your level of driving is exceeding the car's ability, then look at upgrading. That applies to about 1% of the Corvette population!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used several sets of the XP8s - I can get a lot of events out of them and the rotors both - running track tires by the way. I have not had anybody I have been running with slaughter me in the brake zone with far more aggressive pads. I know I am getting pad and rotor life then they guys running the real aggressive pads. Pad taper kills them faster than anything else and that is not a fault of the pad!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wtknght1

I agree. I'm using XP12/10 combination on my C6Z. They work great at the track; but are noisy for the street. I don't care because this is my track only car.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

XP12/XP10s are great... XP8s are fantastic when i run with street tires but on big R compound tires the XP12/10 combo feels really nice.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by Jess03Z06
XP12/XP10s are great... XP8s are fantastic when i run with street tires but on big R compound tires the XP12/10 combo feels really nice.
I think I will go with the XP8's until I turn this car into a dedicated track car. Eventhough I am running Kuhmo V710's at the track and not street tires, the squeeky thing drove me nuts when I had Hawk pads. I don't want that again. Thanks for the great information guys!

Last edited by SCEMO; 09-20-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
02impactblue
Pro

I wouldn't use anything more agressive than the xp10's with street tires. I run the xp10 f and xp8 r and I can get into abs at 145 with street tire. I may drop down to xp8 on all corners until i get proper track rubber.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Carbotech pads to buy?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I certainly wouldn't go more than an XP8 for street use. I've used an XP8 front and Panther+ rear combo and that's plenty for the track and still acceptable on the street with street tires.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

I have used Panther Plus all around with good results.
Next time I'm going to go with XP8s front Panther Plus back. I am not a very aggressive driver and I always run stock F1 Supercar tires. I use this conservative approach also because sometimes I have to drive 150 miles to the event and 150 miles back; and the "milder" set-up works well on the street.

Sounds like you have a more aggressive agenda and should listen to the guys that recommended the more aggressive set-ups as you get closer to wheel to wheel racing.

MD
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I certainly wouldn't go more than an XP8 for street use. I've used an XP8 front and Panther+ rear combo and that's plenty for the track and still acceptable on the street with street tires.
Yep. I have heard that is a sweet set up...

MD

Quick Reply: Which Carbotech pads to buy?