Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever put DEI Cool Tape (or similar) on their transmission case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Anyone ever put DEI Cool Tape (or similar) on their transmission case?

Last night I uwas up under the car installing my tunnel plate w/ the newly added Elite Engineering thermal barrier and wiped off the trans case. I got to thinking... I could put DEI cool tape in the little squarish resesses of the tans case. Anoyone do this to reflect heat? My exhaust is almost done being ceramic coated black so that'll keep most of the heat away and I run Amsoil ATF.

Good idea? Any benefit?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Last night I uwas up under the car installing my tunnel plate w/ the newly added Elite Engineering thermal barrier and wiped off the trans case. I got to thinking... I could put DEI cool tape in the little squarish resesses of the tans case. Anoyone do this to reflect heat? My exhaust is almost done being ceramic coated black so that'll keep most of the heat away and I run Amsoil ATF.

Good idea? Any benefit?
Don't screw around with stuff that might or might not work. If you do lots of events where your tranny gets above 250 consistently, then get a tranny cooler for it. You won't regret it.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Actually I've never had the trans temp warnigng come on ever... I've always run Amsoil ATF in there. Now that my entire enxuast will be ceramic coated turbo black the head will be kept away from the case. I just figured some heat reflection might help more.

Odly, when my car blew the air tube off at VIR father's day weekend I used my dad's stock '04 Z16 for two sessions. The car had 12,000 miles on it and 1/2 way into the session I had the trans overtemp warning blaring. Only think I could think of is the stock dextron III in there.

One day I'm sure I'll get the trans/dif coolers, but so far it hasn't been an issue.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Good idea? Any benefit?
My headers are coated and in addition I placed exhaust wrap where they are near the trans.

I have used the DEI thermal blanket wrap around the transmission lines themselves.

DH
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

^ Actually I've never had the trans temp warnigng come on ever... I've always run Amsoil ATF in there. Now that my entire enxuast will be ceramic coated turbo black the head will be kept away from the case. I just figured some heat reflection might help more.

Odly, when my car blew the air tube off at VIR father's day weekend I used my dad's stock '04 Z16 for two sessions. The car had 12,000 miles on it and 1/2 way into the session I had the trans overtemp warning blaring. Only think I could think of is the stock dextron III in there.

One day I'm sure I'll get the trans/dif coolers, but so far it hasn't been an issue.
Brian, I'm not sure that the fulid you use will prevent the fluid from getting hot. The better fluids just tolerate the heat better.

I wrap my exhausts with header tape where they go by the xmission and diff and never get any hi temp warnings. (knock on wood )
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

I got to thinking... I could put DEI cool tape in the little squarish resesses of the tans case. Anoyone do this to reflect heat? My exhaust is almost done being ceramic coated black so that'll keep most of the heat away and I run Amsoil ATF.
I'd be careful with this.......most of the heat in the transmission is internally generated through friction, and taping the outside of the tranny could actually act as insulation and prevent some of this heat from escaping, causing a hotter tranny. This might outweigh any reflective protection the tape might provide from outside heat sources such as the exhaust.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ true... I'll leave it!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the DEI header wrap on from behind the cats all the way down to where the pipes meet the TI mufflers.

I have never had a trans temp warning. I was at the same event you were at Cobra when you overheated it. I also have RP Synchromx in the trans though instead of Dexron III.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Again... never overheated my own car. Was my dad's w/ stock fluid that got the trans temp warning.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:39 PM
gringram
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04Z and I had the high trans temp warning at Infinion last Monday. Ambient temp was 80, I received the warning on the 2nd session in the afternoon. I run amsoil atf in the trans.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by RedLS6
most of the heat in the transmission is internally generated through friction, and taping the outside of the tranny could actually act as insulation and prevent some of this heat from escaping, causing a hotter tranny.
A in my book for sure
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
A in my book for sure
Where is the heat coming from then???

Randy
Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Where is the heat coming from then???

Randy
I agree with him.........DO NOT WRAP THE TRANS
PS, ever found the info on my 97's short block?
Steve
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Tranny warning on the Z06 at Putnam. Ambient in the 80's. I am now sporting oil and tranny coolers. Also, DRM/LG ducting for rotors since I cracked the fronts. "you runna a fast session, you gonna get a leetle hot....it happens."

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever put DEI Cool Tape (or similar) on their transmission case?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever put DEI Cool Tape (or similar) on their transmission case?