Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with tire pressure sensors at track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any problems with tire pressure sensors at roadcourse?

Someone on another site has a beef with tire pressure sensors causing "many" problems with track use such as false hiigh pressure alarms, timing equipment interfering with them, and I forgot what else.

These are the parameters I will be using them with for HPDEs.
Stock F1 Supercars bumped from 30 to 34 lbs front 30 to 32 rear (seems to be the best longevity for the tires, at the expense of some grip, but I'm not hung up on fractions of a second). If it's cool (only in Dec-Feb here) I will use 32 front 30 rear.

I may get a set of Kuhmo MX for track use only. Don't know pressures for those.

People do set RF timing equipment up.

I have them already installed in one set of wheels, but I don't want to "turn them on" with the Tech 2, until I know they are not going to
make me crazy at the track...

Thanks,
MD
02 Z06

Last edited by Z06-Nomad; 09-20-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had mine go a little haywire on really hot (>100F) days. Gave low pressure, and flat tire, warnings after some very hot runs. As far as high pressure, if its hot your preasure goes way up and will set off the alarm. But that is what its designed to do...

But, have not heard of them interfering with other equipemnt, however I don't use any yet.

One of mine I think is starting to fail and do not expect it to last the next HPDE. Got some service TPMS warnings last time on the track and one was not responding until it cooled off.

The Kumho MXs are great for the track. I run the standard 30psi and have not had an issue with them rolling onto the sidewalls and wear has been very even.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:01 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

I have been running with TPMs (3 of 4 are still working) for over 3 years. Never had a problem with AMB transponders, or Hotlap/Ultra Lap timers.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-Nomad
These are the parameters I will be using them with for HPDEs.
Stock F1 Supercars bumped from 30 to 34 lbs front 30 to 32 rear (seems to be the best longevity for the tires, at the expense of some grip, but I'm not hung up on fractions of a second). If it's cool (only in Dec-Feb here) I will use 32 front 30 rear.
I start at 28psi all around and have to bleed down as the day goes on or I start getting the high tire pressure warnings about three-quarters of the way through a 20 minute session at Thunderhill... (C6 Z51 w/ stock F1 Supercars)
Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I start at 28psi all around and have to bleed down as the day goes on or I start getting the high tire pressure warnings about three-quarters of the way through a 20 minute session at Thunderhill... (C6 Z51 w/ stock F1 Supercars)
That is exactly what I am afraid of. Especially considering I start 6 pounds higher than you, which given your comments, will guarrantee high pressure alarms going off.

There are enough things competing for my attention at the track already. I think I will skip activating them.

Thanks,
MD

Get notified of new replies

To Any problems with tire pressure sensors at track?

Quick Reply: Any problems with tire pressure sensors at track?