Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Dewitt's radiator came w/ minimal instructions, tips/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default HELP: Dewitt's radiator came w/ minimal instructions, tips/advice?

Got my Dewitts racing radiator w/ a left side cooler... what an amazing piece, it looks sooooo good that I knid of want to make it into wall art

The only instructions it came with were how to cut the shround to clear the lines etc. Thus, I have some questions before installing.

1. Any how-to showing how to install the Lingenfelter oil adapter block?
2. What are the two "plugs" that go into the adapter block, one on the front and one on the bottom?
3. Should I use thread sealant on the AN fittings?
4. Any torque settings for the AN fittings or just good n' tight like an oil plug?
5. What angle should I install the bent fittings in the oil cooler? Down, left, up, etc?
6. Any torque for these or again just snug? Use thread sealant?
7. Does it matter which line goes from one adapter port to a hole on the oil cooler? Meaning does the forward port on the adapter block go to the lower oil cooler fitting or does it matter? Which way does the oil flow through?
8. Should I zip-tie the lines together as they snake by the engine block? I'm going to get wire loom to cover them.

Any other tips/tricks... I want to do this right and one time only.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:01 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Got my Dewitts racing radiator w/ a left side cooler... what an amazing piece, it looks sooooo good that I knid of want to make it into wall art

The only instructions it came with were how to cut the shround to clear the lines etc. Thus, I have some questions before installing.

2. What are the two "plugs" that go into the adapter block, one on the front and one on the bottom?
4. Any torque settings for the AN fittings or just good n' tight like an oil plug?
5. What angle should I install the bent fittings in the oil cooler? Down, left, up, etc?
7. Does it matter which line goes from one adapter port to a hole on the oil cooler? Meaning does the forward port on the adapter block go to the lower oil cooler fitting or does it matter? Which way does the oil flow through?
8. Should I zip-tie the lines together as they snake by the engine block? I'm going to get wire loom to cover them.

I have the same radiator (it is beautiful isn't it?) with right side cooling - not sure what the adapter I have is (other than $$$)
Old 09-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Did you install it? I have the black thinner Lingenfelter adapter block.

Which port is the feed and which is the return? I'm assuming you'd want the feed to run into the top hole and drain down then come out the bottom and then return?

I don't want to start this and f it up.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Did you install it? I have the black thinner Lingenfelter adapter block.

Which port is the feed and which is the return? I'm assuming you'd want the feed to run into the top hole and drain down then come out the bottom and then return?

I don't want to start this and f it up.

Not yet - it is sitting in the living room next to the stack of new rotors, ZO6 calipers, wheel bearings and other new parts (my wife draws the line on having old parts in the house).

I bought it from Cass and have not gotten around to installing it yet. Mine is polished aluminum and I think it goes in at the pressure sensor location. By the time I had the clutch buttoned up I was in no mood to work on that car anymore at that moment! I do not have any of the AN lines or fittings yet and not sure even how long they need to be!

I am hoping to learn from you!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:33 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

1.The adapter block mounts in place of the oil sensor above the oil filter
2a.The larger plug is for C6 cars and you don't need it. Your temp sensor will install in this port. It's metric and uses a brass washer seal.
2b.The smaller plug is for an auxillary oil tap. Use pipe dope here.
3.AN fittings seal on the 37 degree tip. (no sealant here)
4.Wrench tight
5.The two 45 degree fittings are adjustable, so you can position them to where ever it makes the hoses lay right and clean.
6.Wrench tighten, no sealant.
7.Top port on the radiator goes to the top port on the adapter.
8.The stainless steel braided hose should require any additional protection. They will route between the engine and the motor mount, and there is enough crap to keep them supported all the way.

You should add a drop or two of motor oil on any of the O'ring seal before assembly.

Thanks for the comments and good luck!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I've only used the W2W block, but assume yours is the same. Don't over torque the two mounting bolts or you'll be using a helicoil

Oil temp sender and the other ?? I'm not familiar with the Lingenfleter block.

only on the pipe thread side of the fittings not the AN side.

Tight enough to seal but not enough to strip or distort the fittings. Make sure the seats on both sides of the fittings are free of scratches, debris, etc

I've not done an in radiator oil cooler setup. I would assume whatever direction lays the hoses the best.

see above

the forward hol is oil out of the engine and the rear hole is oil into the engine. Route the hoses so the cooler fills from the bottom and exits the top fitting

I shield the hoses wherever they are near the factory wiring and near the power steering cooler lines. I cover them with firesleeve. Very important: make absolutely sure the oil cooler hoses DO NOT touch the abs wiring harness along the left side of the block. The conduit will melt and so will the wires inside. I unclip the abs harness and remove the connectors and fish the wires through a piece of firesleeve to further protect the wiring

HTH

Mark
Old 09-23-2006, 11:23 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys - All AN fitting should be tightened as follows:
Finger tight, plus 1/4 turn.
Any looser & they will leak, any tighter you will distort the aluminum tapered seat and they will really leak.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks all!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm sort of at a loss as to where to run these oil cooler lines... anyone have pics?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Ok... we'll I've got them run... very tight fit, but they go between the block/motomouint, and then under the powersteering rack.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... we'll I've got them run... very tight fit, but they go between the block/motomouint, and then under the powersteering rack.
That is where i ran mine on the z...VERY TIGHT fit...funny part, it took two seconds to pull them back out this morning.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ what color C6 are you getting?

This radiator has a dent on one of the cooling rows =( Looks like where it was clamped in a jig. Tom if you read this please call me @ 757 619-6594.

I'm not sure I want to put it in the car as is... all I've done is taken it out of the box for inspection.

Oh.. I think I'm going to have to hacksaw my cresent wrench to get the AN fittings torqued taht 1/4 turn.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by C5stein
Guys - All AN fitting should be tightened as follows:
Finger tight, plus 1/4 turn.
Any looser & they will leak, any tighter you will distort the aluminum tapered seat and they will really leak.
Thanks for the tip... however... I tightened them as tight as I could by hand, then I could only turn them about another 1/8th turn max... couldn't get them to go a full 1/4 turn w/ the leverage I had. I market the fitting w/ a black dot, and I'd say they turned a little over a full flat.

I'm assuming/hoping that this is fine.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Dewitt's radiator came w/ minimal instructions, tips/advice?

Quick Reply: HELP: Dewitt's radiator came w/ minimal instructions, tips/advice?