Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road race: best tire pressure ps2? need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:30 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default road race: best tire pressure ps2? need advice!

I'm running ps2's (f 275/35/18, r 305/30/19) on a c5(700 rwhp). I have been experimenting with tire pressure and am finding the rear end feels slightly loose coming out of turns. I suspect it's a combination of the power the car puts out and the rear tire pressure not being dialed in yet.

I am running 28 lbs cold and about 34 once the tires get heated up on the track(fronts and rears).

Any advice? Is this optimal? Thanks.e
Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run these tires for the last two years on the OLOA, typically depending on surface grip I run 42 psi front (hot) and 36 psi rear (hot). 700rwhp, the car should always feel loose on corner exit. Even with real DOT race tires you will still be loose. Expodentially harder to "sort" a chassis when you have 700rwhp.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During this yr OLOA our car had 305/30/18 at all 4 corners. Car owner ran 37 cold all the way round and the car was WAY TOO LOOSE for my liking. For me a car this loose and a new track with Zero track time is something bad waiting to happen. Owner likes it, I dont. As the wk went on I had him slowly lower pressures but it was too late with the rain we had. He currenlty run's 34frt/28 cold..

DANNY is your car ever Straight going through a corner. LOL way to go even with the Issue's. You running again next yr in 07?

John O
Old 09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the "heads up". I think I am generally under inflated?

Sounds like I am likely a couple of lbs too low in the rears and perhaps 3-4 lbs low in the front.

If I understand, I should increase the cold pressure to 30 lbs on the rears and perhaps 32 on the fronts and watch the tire sensors on the track after they heat up. Hopefully that will put me where you suggest. I would then adjust and tweak once the tires are warmed up.

Sound like the right approach?

Get notified of new replies

To road race: best tire pressure ps2? need advice!

Quick Reply: road race: best tire pressure ps2? need advice!