Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added ECS Spindle Ducts and D/R Brake Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Added ECS Spindle Ducts and D/R Brake Ducts

Well after some crack rotors and some small brake issues with DTC-70s at WGI in July I decided to add the brake cooling. ECS designed a metal spindle duct that looks like it will outlast many other components on my car. The D/R plastic Brake Ducts have the correct shape to fit in the wheel well and connect to the OEM ducts (that do basically nothing).

Of course the test would be on the track. Last time at the track we cracked 3 new rotors throughout the weekend. This time with old rotors on 2 cars we did not have one cracked rotor. I am not sure if this is 100% directly related to the cooling, but it makes sense that the cooling is helping.

overall the feel of my brakes were better than last time at WGI even with the longer 30 min sessions. to both ECS and D/R for making quality parts.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hey WW, are these the same ones that BM has on his car? I was looking at them, they look very effective, and I think I'm adding them over the winter to my car.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have the DRM ducts but no spindle ducts... they do help big-time. Just make sure you do cool down laps in the pits before you park it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Hey WW, are these the same ones that BM has on his car? I was looking at them, they look very effective, and I think I'm adding them over the winter to my car.

Bobby, Doug and I all installed them last time. When you move to a race pad (even aggressive street pad on the track should have them) you will need to keep the rotors cooler and this is the most effective way.

I think adding as much cooling to your car as possible is beneficial for keeping your car running longer. Look at your oil can coolant temps. I added the Dewitts radiator with Oil Cooler and now my car stays within the comfort level it was designed to be at. Much better than the 300 oil temps that many others see.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I have the DRM ducts but no spindle ducts... they do help big-time. Just make sure you do cool down laps in the pits before you park it.

how are they connected to the rotor without spindle ducts? The ECS spindle ducts made it easy to connect the ducts to the where the air needs to be....
Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
how are they connected to the rotor without spindle ducts? The ECS spindle ducts made it easy to connect the ducts to the where the air needs to be....
The hoses are zip tied to the A arm and blow air on the rotor, not as effective as spindle ducts, but since I still drive on the street a bunch I wanted to be able to turn lock/lock.

Can you turn lock/lock w/o pulling the hoses off? If so I'll look into getting spindle ducts to do it better.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Randy
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hoses are zip tied to the A arm and blow air on the rotor, not as effective as spindle ducts, but since I still drive on the street a bunch I wanted to be able to turn lock/lock.

Can you turn lock/lock w/o pulling the hoses off? If so I'll look into getting spindle ducts to do it better.
Why not secure the hoses by cutting a slit and using the wheel speed (ABS) sensor to hold them in place? I found that doing that and using a piece of safety wire (or a ziptie) to hold the top of the hose "open" does a decent job. Pheonix spindle ducts are on my short list, though.

I don't pull hoses off, but I do rub my DRM ducts a little at full lock. :-( Stock C6 wheels.

glen
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can turn lock to lock with stock wheels and tires on the street. I slightly rub the plastic with slicks at the track however this is only at low speed negotiating through the garage/pit area, so there is no issue with the hoses. I would also recommend using hose clamps instead of zip ties. ECS spindle ducts are a straight forward installation. A lift makes it easier but a jack will work. Plan for about 4 hours for the average install, your brakes will love you for it. ECS and DRM

Last edited by Bad Machine; 09-26-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Hey Brian,
The spindle ducts work fine on the street without the hoses falling off etc. We used a large lip that holds the hose on very well with a hose clamp.
I have talked to a person at the track last time that thought the DRM ducts were hard to install, but I thought it was very easy and straight forward. Each side takes about 45 min including removing the spindle to install our spindle duct. It is a relitively cheap mod for the benifit.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Machine
I can turn lock to lock with stock wheels and tires on the street. I slightly rub the plastic with slicks at the track however this is only at low speed negotiating through the garage/pit area, so there is no issue with the hoses. I would also recommend using hose clamps instead of zip ties. ECS spindle ducts are a straight forward installation. A lift makes it easier but a jack will work. Plan for about 4 hours for the average install, your brakes will love you for it. ECS and DRM

four hours?? how much were you drinking inbetween??

(I could see that if it's your first set your installing)
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Have that setup on my car , some rubbing with slicks at low speeds but in a year of street driving no problems
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

ECS Spindle ducts have a decent amount of metal to clamp onto. I would be surprised if they came off.

I am checking the DRM brake ducts tonight to see if there is any rubbing. I am running 295 fronts with CCWs and on the lift there was enough room, but since WGI I have not had a chance to get the car in the air again to see if there was any rubbing....
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

not as much as other nights
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

It was a time allowance, Think about doing it in the ground with a jack and if you have to re-route TOC lines
Plus, suppose you are working alone and there is nobody to make you drinks!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

picture is worth a thousand words
Old 09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
picture is worth a thousand words

I will take a pic tonight of the entire area when I change from race pads to stock....

Get notified of new replies

To Added ECS Spindle Ducts and D/R Brake Ducts

Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Each side takes about 45 min including removing the spindle to install our spindle duct.
I got the phoenix spindle ducts, we didn't remove anything but the abs to install them. do they all require the spindle to be removed???
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

morning did not get a chance to photo op them last night. Working on the fronts tonight so I will post.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Brian,
The spindle ducts work fine on the street without the hoses falling off etc. We used a large lip that holds the hose on very well with a hose clamp.
I have talked to a person at the track last time that thought the DRM ducts were hard to install, but I thought it was very easy and straight forward. Each side takes about 45 min including removing the spindle to install our spindle duct. It is a relitively cheap mod for the benifit.

Hi Doug, How much weight do these set-up add?

Quick Reply: Added ECS Spindle Ducts and D/R Brake Ducts