Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo 2 Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SCCA Solo 2 Nationals

Results are starting to pop up on the SCCA site, Looks like the world is coming to the end .......BS beat EM.....WTF ????????? The Corvette pummeling has begun. If they continue to run Nationals there, they are going to have to completely revise the class structure.

http://www.scca.com/Event/Event.asp
Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't this how they calculate the PAX? If so I see lots of FTD Raw AND FTD PAX trophies in my future. (providing you don't show )

Looks like an AWD Domination at the new site.

Last edited by Red5; 09-26-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Having run the surface in the ProSolo Finale all I can say is: Asphalt, smooth and sand from the wind blown surrounding area. No grip.

With SS running last there should be some rubber put down to improve grip.

On the last day of the Pro, half way down the back straight, the rear end kicked out due to lack of grip. I couldn't believe I couldn't mash the throttle on a straight, in second gear, while exceeding 45 mph. I've never even had that happen to me on the street.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
antigrav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for results from Thursday and Friday in Super-stock, A-Stock, and SM2.

Should be an interesting battle in super stock between the 911 GT3, Elises and Z06's. Z06 has come out on top every year since 2002, but the GT3 and an Elise were very close last year.

In A-Stock, the C4 is still a contender, against the 993 and S2000.

A modified 2002 Z06 won the SM2 title in 2005, several are back this year.

Ditto for B-Prepared?

Should also be Z06's in ASP, today and tomorrow, but doesn't look like those results are posted yet.

Regarding BS vs. EM. EM had a faster raw time (50.207 vs. 50.462 for BS). Agree that indexed, EM should have been at least a couple of seconds faster to be comparable. What gives; is it raining in Topeka?

Doesn't really matter, though, as national competitors are battling similar cars within class, with the same index. Trophies are awarded, and champions named, within each class.

-ag
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I made a mistake. BS did not beat EM, but whatever the difference was , was not enough. No it is not raining in Topeka, they are running at a new site which has already been referred to as "black ice". I am really glad I did not attend, I would have been very frustrated with the lack of grip.

Prelimary report of ASP is Porshce 1st, Mike "junior" Johnson 2nd. Mike coned away a winning run.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
antigrav
Instructor

Very interesting. In ASP, I see a 2006 Z06 finished in 4th, behind the GT2, '02 Z06 and Viper.

Does anyone know to what level the '06 Z06 was prepared? Was it close to stock, or fully prepared within the ASP rules, or?

-ag
Old 09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by antigrav
Very interesting. In ASP, I see a 2006 Z06 finished in 4th, behind the GT2, '02 Z06 and Viper.

Does anyone know to what level the '06 Z06 was prepared? Was it close to stock, or fully prepared within the ASP rules, or?

-ag
I think RAFTRACER knows pretty well how prepped it was
Old 09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Drew Manzella
Advanced

I don't know an exact answer but TYPICALLY the SCCA will take cars like that, Vipers, etc. when they are new and class them in Street Prepared BUT only allow them the standard Stock class modifications.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

-ag
Rod McGeorge's 06Z is defineatly an ASP car, springs,shocks,bars,headers, exhaust ,tune,race seat,big wheels,tires , etc. His car however is still not prepped within an inch of the rules and there are still things to do that will make it faster. Topeka's new ultra low grip surface hurts all of the Corvettes, Vipers etc. Look at the times between classes, and no it certainly did not rain today in Topeka. When the C6z goes to SS next year , at nationals it probably will still not matter, because if all stays the same next year with course design and surface grip, it will be decidedly not the car to have......
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
antigrav
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Rod McGeorge's 06Z is defineatly an ASP car, springs,shocks,bars,headers, exhaust ,tune,race seat,big wheels,tires , etc. His car however is still not prepped within an inch of the rules and there are still things to do that will make it faster. Topeka's new ultra low grip surface hurts all of the Corvettes, Vipers etc. Look at the times between classes, and no it certainly did not rain today in Topeka. When the C6z goes to SS next year , at nationals it probably will still not matter, because if all stays the same next year with course design and surface grip, it will be decidedly not the car to have......
Thanks for the info.

Have more questions/thoughts about the C6Z, but will post to a separate thread so as to not stray further from your original topic.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1557064214

-ag

Last edited by antigrav; 09-26-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Corvettes currently leading in AS, ASL, BP, hopefully they can hang on........ In ASP Corvettes are currently in 2nd and 4th.........
Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If the classes are revised for that wacko surface, what's going to happen to those of us who compete on surfaces with grip
Old 09-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Kschwamy
Drifting

Yeah, I made a mistake. BS did not beat EM, but whatever the difference was , was not enough. No it is not raining in Topeka, they are running at a new site which has already been referred to as "black ice". I am really glad I did not attend, I would have been very frustrated with the lack of grip.

Prelimary report of ASP is Porshce 1st, Mike "junior" Johnson 2nd. Mike coned away a winning run.
Danny looks like Greg had a respectable first day for his first time to Nationals.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kschwamy
Danny looks like Greg had a respectable first day for his first time to Nationals.

He absolutely did , I spoke with him yesterday to tell him I thought he was doing great........and to stop dickin' around and grab one of those thophies He deserves it , he has been working hard and has made huge progress this year
Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Harold Olsen took 3rd in BSP in his C4, behind the very fast Evos.
Heck of a job by Olie
Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

3rd is better than anything after that, but when you have won before , it is not quite as palatable, especially when he knows he got beat by the SCCA 'dumping" mutant vehicles into the class, when the mutants should have their own class.........The mutants would not have prevailed if the event was held on the concrete @ Forbes Field
Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

That must be one $h!tty surface, both greendot and I were within 1 second of Tak at the last Detroit Region event two weeks ago, and I thought that was a challenging surface (1/2 loose gravelly asphalt and 1/2 sealed asphalt).

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo 2 Nationals

Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

3rd is better than anything after that, but when you have won before , it is not quite as palatable, especially when he knows he got beat by the SCCA 'dumping" mutant vehicles into the class, when the mutants should have their own class.........The mutants would not have prevailed if the event was held on the concrete @ Forbes Field
Agreed. I was just giving Olie props for a great effort, considering all factors
Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Just in ........Mike "junior" Johnson has just won ASP. Congratulations Mike, at least someone in the RAFT gang has won.....

Also Stan Whitney in XP ran the fastest time of his class today and vaulted himself from 4th to 2nd. Congratulations Stan.

In ladies competition Denise Cahmore has won ASL, way to go..............
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Cashmo got 'er done in AS

McWho ends up 3rd...Scott hasn't autocrossed in the last couple of months, I guess he might have been a little rusty...still, very close to second overall.

The Subie ended up 4th.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo 2 Nationals