Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch do you recommend for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What clutch do you recommend for road racing?

Need a new clutch for my C5 Z with bolt on power. What's the best choice for the track. I don't want an aluminum flywheel. I've decided to go with the SLP lightened steel one.

Thanks for the help
Chris
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I like my Spec3+ and have heard a lot of others agree.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Just put a lightweight Spec 3+ in my 01 , havent' had it on the track yet but with spirited hwy driving i'm liking it more and more, took a little while to get accustomed to the first gear takeup overall very happy . good engagement, light effort . no chatter
Old 09-29-2006, 06:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock Z clutch last me fine with aluminum flywheel which works great
Old 09-29-2006, 07:42 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have experienced vibration issues with the spec clutches, however we have no experence with their stage 3. The Exedy Hyper single and dual disc are nice, but they have a tendancy to shorten the life of the throw out bearing and have a bit heavier effort. For relatively stock engines I would go with a lightened flywheel and a LUK gold, or for up to 600 HP & tq we have had good luck with the C6 Z06 factory setup.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
gpm30236
Racer

No vibration issues, had the flywheel balanced with the rotating assembly , it was only 2 grams out of balance.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpm30236
No vibration issues, had the flywheel balanced with the rotating assembly , it was only 2 grams out of balance.
Yep that should solve any clutch vibration issue, but we do alot more clutches on engines that aren't torn down and have had really poor luck getting our local machine shops to match balance clutch/flywheel assemblies to the units that we removed from the car.

FYI - not everyone knows that the LSx motors are externally balanced from the factory using the flywheel to balance things up. Any motors that we build, we have the engine's rotating assembly (crank/rods/pins/pistons) zero balanced, and then have them zero balance the clutch & pressure plate.

That way when you need to change clutches, you will only need to zero up the new clutch and pressure plate
Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

I was thinking about going with a dual friction 11" Centerforce with the SLP flywheel. I figured less chance of chatter with the 8lb lighter than stock flywheel (26lbs) over an aluminum one. I can get a smokin deal on the Centerforce also. Has anyone had any experience with the Centerforce DF??
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by VaSupraDriver
I was thinking about going with a dual friction 11" Centerforce with the SLP flywheel. I figured less chance of chatter with the 8lb lighter than stock flywheel (26lbs) over an aluminum one. I can get a smokin deal on the Centerforce also. Has anyone had any experience with the Centerforce DF??
If you are talking about daily driver/track 550-575 SAE, the Ceterforce dual friction is a awesome compromise...I had that clutch in my DRMC500RSR for 25000 hardmiles with no issues...clutch pedal is slightly stiffer than stock and that minimally increases under load...best bang for your buck! If you are talking dedicated track car, stick with what has been proven over and over again(Tilton or Quartermaster) but you you pay for what you play!

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
If you are talking about daily driver/track 550-575 SAE, the Ceterforce dual friction is a awesome compromise...I had that clutch in my DRMC500RSR for 25000 hardmiles with no issues...clutch pedal is slightly stiffer than stock and that minimally increases under load...best bang for your buck! If you are talking dedicated track car, stick with what has been proven over and over again(Tilton or Quartermaster) but you you pay for what you play!

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I use the car as a DD and run maybe 5 driving events per year. Looks like the Centerforce will work for me just fine. When I'm done I should have 420-430whp.

Get notified of new replies

To What clutch do you recommend for road racing?

Quick Reply: What clutch do you recommend for road racing?