Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:03 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering cooler

For those using an aftermarket power steering cooler.
What kind of cooler are you using?
Did you have any changes in the steering afterwards?

I'm asking as i installed a cooler for my power steering. I basically dremelled off the end of the existing line on the subframe and ran rubber lines to the cooler mounted infront of the A/C.
I initially expected to have no power steering until all the air was purged from the system. I have been driving the car all week (50+ miles each day). The fill level has stopped going down so i assume the system is completely purged. Although now the p.s. is better, it still is not back to the original assist level, infact it is not much assist at all. I even tried holding the rpm at 3k to spin the pump faster, no difference. .

The old fluid was completely drained and replaced with Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering fluid.

I have already burned up one p.s pump (last yr) and am trying to avoid it again.
South Texas heat + 315's + autoX + HPDE's, makes for allot of stress on the pump.

thanks
Will
Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure what type I have but I can measure it. I have had no problems and it always feels like normal and no overheating.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
fmrfast
Racer

I have always bled the air from the power steering system with the car on stands thus unloaded & before starting the engine. The bleeding is acomplished by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times.

If you start the car & spin the pump with air in the system & have it loaded you will toast the pump.

Don't know if this helps with your aftermarket set up. I run a C4 with the GM cooler & have replaced all the components in the system.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:21 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by fmrfast
I have always bled the air from the power steering system with the car on stands thus unloaded & before starting the engine. The bleeding is acomplished by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times.

If you start the car & spin the pump with air in the system & have it loaded you will toast the pump.

Don't know if this helps with your aftermarket set up. I run a C4 with the GM cooler & have replaced all the components in the system.

When i finished i tried to bleed/purge the system as much as i could. On the jack stands i turned the wheel lock to lock several times. When the bubbles stopped on that i started the car (on stands) and turned the wheel lock to lock several more times. Then i took the car on a short drive. I constantly check the system now to see if its low. The fluid has finnally stopped dropping but the steering still has little/no power assist.

The pump makes no sound and the engine does not sound loaded.

Will
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Bump for monday.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no expert but my guess is you're losing too much pressure through the cooler...I'd try removing the cooler from the system and see it it's an improvement?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I'm no expert but my guess is you're losing too much pressure through the cooler...I'd try removing the cooler from the system and see it it's an improvement?
if that is the case you have it plumbed in wrong, it needs to be in line from the gear box to the return to the reservoir.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

I have the cooler plumbed inline with the existing cooler, which is on the low pressure side of the system. Its after the rack on the way to the resevior. I used a Hayden 401 tranny cooler. After searching on the web i noticed lots of poeple using this exact cooler for this type of application.

The only thing i can think of the cooler itself might be putting to much back pressure on the system. I will disconnect it this weekend and re-purge/bleed to see if their is any difference.

BUT if others are using aftermarket coolers are they having a similar issue?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie_corvette
I have the cooler plumbed inline with the existing cooler, which is on the low pressure side of the system. Its after the rack on the way to the resevior. I used a Hayden 401 tranny cooler. After searching on the web i noticed lots of poeple using this exact cooler for this type of application.

The only thing i can think of the cooler itself might be putting to much back pressure on the system. I will disconnect it this weekend and re-purge/bleed to see if their is any difference.

BUT if others are using aftermarket coolers are they having a similar issue?

I do not know if this will help but when I added one to my C4 I got a stock ZR1 cooler and used it. I picked it up at Carlisle!

Get notified of new replies

To power steering cooler

Quick Reply: power steering cooler