Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sick and tired of "cheating" Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Default I'm sick and tired of "cheating" Aston Martin

Well, I suppose "cheating" is not the correct word, since the real folks to blame are the members of the sanctioning organization.

I've seen interviews with the head dufus, stating in no uncertain terms that "we'll make whatever rule changes are necessary to insure all teams have an opportunity to win, otherwise they won't participate".

What a bunch of B.S.; that damned DB9 sounded like a friggin' F1 car. The Corvettes are now handicapped to the point where the announcers make comments like "if the A.M. and Corvettes are on the same straight away, it's a "done deal" that the A.M.'s will blow by", and gems like "the only way the Corvettes will win is if the A.M.'s break".

This weekend was the ultimate example of how absurd this series and its rule makers have become; the A.M.'s took ONE qualifying lap, explicitly to ensure the sanctioning body and competition wouldn't "catch on" to the fact their cars were capable of a good second to 1.5 seconds a lap faster than the C6-R. It's complete non-sense, the C6 is now burdened with 50 cent piece-sized restrictors, in addition to the added weight. The C6 now weights more and has less HP than the DB9.

The team manager has been quoted that if the restrictors were completely removed, the 427 would make approximately 900 HP.

I realize there are more important things going on in the world, but this bugs me to no end. The way things are going the AMLS organizers have "engineered" Team Corvette out of a championship win this year.

I seriously contemplated heckling the folks in the Aston Martin pit, but had the boy with me and didn't want to set a negative example; at least he knows A.M.'s as "those cheaters", so all is not lost.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-02-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda ticks me off too
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
bryanZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the C6R and the Aston loose and if Aston didn't bring enough to the table let them worry about it. Don't slow the C6R down.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanZ06
Turn the C6R and the Aston loose and if Aston didn't bring enough to the table let them worry about it. Don't slow the C6R down.
100%
Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if they can'y win they won'y play. Who will be left to race? That is why they let them win some. Just like SWC bunch of bull.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I noticed is that there were only two teams in GT1. That's a shame. If the Vette is so dominant, and it is, no one will come out to play. Let them win once in awhile so the sport stays healthy, but don't take the championship away from them. IMHO
Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

just a reflection of the "new world order" were the strong are pennialized and the week are rewarded
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

with Ford's financial situation I can see them pulling out soon and AM is for sale possible as many of Ford niche brands are rumored. They will then be left racing themselves. Then they just need a thrid C6R to fill the podium.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they want to turn this into an IROC series with everyone being equal.
seems to me that all the teams know the rules, they should be able to build faster cars to keep up. If they can't then too bad. Kinda like in NASCAR when Ford cried that their cars were at an aero dynamic disadvantage so they changed the rules to give them a chance. I say build a better car !
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

It is a damn shame that the Vette has to be severely penalized because the competion stinks...........

But at least the ALMS boneheads do not rewrite the rules for Daytona and Le Mans.......

or do they ?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by Mike69

That picture says it all.
If the Aston Martin is going out of business, why give them the advantage? I don't know of anybody that goes to an ALMS race in the numbers that Corvette folks do. So, why **** off a whole bunch of ticket buyers?

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

You ought to put the chute on the World Challenge series Corvettes also. The 75 pounds that I had to carry at Atlanta this past weekend took its toll as did the 190 pounds added for Elkhart lake.and my car could not hold the porsche and vipers off. We finished a dismal 14th place at Elkhart and 6th at Atlanta. All this after a win in Utah without the added weight.

Now we go into the last race still 8 points down. In the process the Caddy got 20 more hp and 50 pounds off, and the Corvettes had to add 75 pounds. That is a 125 pound swing compared to the caddys in addition to the hp.

Again, I will keep fighting and we can see what happens at Laguna at the last race.

Thanks
Lou G

As for the ALMS Vettes, I agree that it is not right what they have done to the Vettes. LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 10-02-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes Lou, I'm glad you chimed in, you are indeed feeling the wrath as are the Caddy's..

It's one thing to bring fellow competitors to parity, it's quite another to go too far to ensure the competition a win; that's not anything even remotely resembling "competition" in any dictionary I own.

As much as I hate what's going on, the fact is indeed we only have two teams in GT1; it's really sad the competition can't fend for themselves. Maybe GM should be forced to subsidize Aston Martin's program, that would be the next logical step.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
You ought to put the chute on the World Challenge series Corvettes also. The 75 pounds that I had to carry at Atlanta this past weekend took its toll as did the 190 pounds added for Elkhart lake.and my car could not hold the porsche and vipers off. We finished a dismal 14th place at Elkhart and 6th at Atlanta. All this after a win in Utah without the added weight.

Now we go into the last race still 8 points down. In the process the Caddy got 20 more hp and 50 pounds off, and the Corvettes had to add 75 pounds. That is a 125 pound swing compared to the caddys in addition to the hp.

Again, I will keep fighting and we can see what happens at Laguna at the last race.

Thanks
Lou G

As for the ALMS Vettes, I agree that it is not right what they have done to the Vettes. LG

Come on Lou, you look well prepared every time you've gone out there...

At least you don't have to drive through all the sparks!!!

I don't care what car your driving or what series your running in, I think you should be able to build a car to spec and race it without a handicap. Thats why they have specs, right?

Last edited by Mike69@ECS; 10-02-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 PM
99quicksilver
Racer

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
That picture says it all.
If the Aston Martin is going out of business, why give them the advantage? I don't know of anybody that goes to an ALMS race in the numbers that Corvette folks do. So, why **** off a whole bunch of ticket buyers?

That is the reason I stayed home this year.....I can yell at the TV just as loud as I can at the track.....
The Saleen is Gone, The Ferrari is Gone, The Vipers kept breaking....
GT1 is soon gonna be H-I-S-T-O-R-Y..
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike69
I don't care what car your driving or what series your running in, I think you should be able to build a car to spec and race it without a handicap. Thats why they have specs, right?
That pretty much says it all for me.

The only thing positive (if you can call it that) coming from these series. The rule makers are saying that the Corvete is just too damn good. In any trim, be it C6R-ALMS, WC-GT, T1-SCCA, TTx-NASA, etc.. they all take "punishment" or "penalties" when built to the letter of the spec and driven by talented people. That sux!

It really cracks me up when all the snobby Euro car teams/drivers snub their noses at the cheap American junk (Corvette). Driving their Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, Jaguar, and the like. But then immediately scream to have the rules change because the Corvette has an unfair advantage. Their Euro cars typically cost 2-3 times or more money to build and then get beat by our lil' old' Vette... wah wah wah.. Build a better damn car then!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm sick and tired of "cheating" Aston Martin

Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 99quicksilver

That is the reason I stayed home this year.....I can yell at the TV just as loud as I can at the track.....
The Saleen is Gone, The Ferrari is Gone, The Vipers kept breaking....
GT1 is soon gonna be H-I-S-T-O-R-Y..

Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Kschwamy
Drifting

I can understand the need for parity in order to keep the AM's in the picture but I turn the set on to see a race, which is in my mind (as small as it) means two or more cars changing leads and winning because they have a superior car, driver, crew strategy or any or all of these on that specific day. What I have seen in the last two events is great racing in P1, P2 and GT2 but only fights for 3rd or 4th in GT1. I don't remember seeing any Corvette or AM wheel to wheel fighting for 1st place on the coverage other than the start at Mosport and Fellows getting a stop and go penalty. The only time you saw the vettes were during pit stops and fighting with the second place AM for either a distant 2nd or 3rd position.

It's really not fun to watch because they aren't competitive anymore so why should TV show them. It was great watching Liz hold off the Porsche at Mosport during her stint or watching John Field holding off the Porsche at Road Atlanta and if the car wouldn't have broken they might have won.

It's too bad that you can't have an advantage that your crew practices harder and lowers your pit times or that your car is mechanically sounder and doesn't break as often. These should be the things that make racing great not the politics.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Win or lose, I was at the race Saturday...and DAMN, that was so much fun to watch!! 90,000 fans, great cars, full access to walk where ever i wanted to...wow, is all i have to say. The ALMS has a great series going...from what I could tell, it has to be one of the most intense to drive in - 4 different classes with all the passing and traffic!!! Granted, being in person is hard to keep up with the running order PLUS you cannot see the whole track at once, BUT being there brings a whole other dimension and enjoyment to the sport.

back on thread topic...it was blantantly obvious the vettes were down on performance, especially on the lower end. heading up the hill under the bridge you could easily see (and hear) the vettes gasping for air while the astons just hauled a$$ with no issues. its a shame, but I also do not want GT1 to be history either...its funny, the past time sport is baseball, but every weekend football and racing pack the venues while baseball stands have 10 people in them....

Quick Reply: I'm sick and tired of "cheating" Aston Martin