Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari Club Pocono Long course 10-3 Tues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ferrari Club Pocono Long course 10-3 Tues

We have 4 Corvettes going I know of Should be some interesting cars to see and run.

Me
Joel specatating
Steve
Alan
Greg
Anyone else?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to go, but too busy at work. Also, didn't want to spend $250 to deal with Ferrari point by fustration (or lack of). I think my last day will be the double infield...hope the weather holds up.

I can't believe we are already at the end of the season
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect day weather wise. Wish I was there. Have fun.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Well guys I am glad I made it for sure. Great day and some real fast neat and fast cars. I had a blast Alan was there with his red Z06 and for someone who didn't like the long course last year he was honking! His 383 Cartek was hauling down the track. He went to the Viper event on the long course and now loves it! Greg's Blue Z was there and flying also. We had a great time spanking the cars hard.

Matt in the top two groups cars were going real fast. No point by problems everyone was driving good fast and courteous. I can't remember a problem all day. There was a Ferrari SP 333 and it was smoking fast down the straight. I heard a motor coming and he pulled away from me faster than anything I have seen to date. I have seen some before where the guy was doing 2:00 minute laps at Pocono where low 1:30's is fast. This guy would blow through that easily. Didn't seem to pull much on the banking or infield from me which was disappointing it should have destroyed me.

White Porsche spanked me with a good driver and some long legs on that car for sure. I need more power donations gladly accepted . Also another Ferrari black and red with plexi side windows which handled great, good driver, decent power. He called my tires dry rotted and I took it as a compliment they were that bad. He said he thought I would beat him with some decent tires. That was the end of the GY slick supply as it has dried up since Hoosier took over DP Series They will not let teams sell off the scrubs. Someone said it was a ton of CF on the car. Win or lose it was a great car to compete against. Some Ferrari Challenge cars there also that were good and fast. Few Vioers with good aggressive drivers also. They don't pull that great down the straight as my car when they are stock. I wish I had more time to watch the other fast group which was blue because I was told they were flying also with some cars in the 1:30's which is good. Some nice eye candy cars which I never had time to photograph.

I over ran the brakes once and nearly decided to auto X the cones at Devil's Elbow The 275 x 17 are not nearly as good as the GY slicks under braking. 275's would work the ABS and momentarily lock where the slicks would over power the brakes to near fade. The brakes did get a big workout for sure. Rear Wilwood calipers are turning to match they front from the heat from Black to Purple. As they heat the anodizing burns. Fronts are copper colored so 6 more track days and I'll have a matching pair. I was using Wilwood brake fluid which is good but I still think the SRF is better. I misplaced my SRF and used the Wilwood which was available the night I needed it. Back to SRF next year.

5 twenty minute session with not much time in between Taking acre of everything was hard with 40 minutes between session You could barely make it for gas and back. I blew a seal in my diff pump and it oiled down the passenger side wheel a bit.

They had 30 cars registered a week before and ended up with about 80 showing up. Wish I new my Ferrari models better to identify them. Beautiful cars but I can't imagine the expense to keep them going.

Walked over to the track food restaurant to eat and it was closed. This is after they told the Ferrari Club you can't serve lunch which make no sense if they are not open.

Great way to nearly close the except for Lime Rock. I would definitely run the other events the Ferrari Club has planned next year Bob Coates is the man in charge so thanks Bob for a fast fun event. Matt & Steve wish you had made it so don't miss next year.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

John did your car over heat at all, or all all those problems solved.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Happy to say the new thermostat did the trick and it ran fine. It did split a little coolant but never went over 225 on coolant. The difference in power was shocking compared to when it was running hot at 250. Next year I'll dump the antifrezze and try water and Wetter Water.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the recap John. Sounds like it was a great day for sure.
Are you doing the double infield this month w/PDA? It doesn't look like I'll be able to go. If I do, I wouldn't know until the last minute, and I think this is a closed event.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

sounds like fun.

waiting for the new clutch/flywheel to come in and hopefully we will get another day on the track this year.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I won't know till the last minute either on the double infield. I am signed and paid for the 11-4 at LRP Sat with PDA. Hey Bob hope to see you guys out there before the end of the year. I would like to go to VIR Fall Fling. I am batting zero there first year cold first day the torque tube bushing puked then I skipped a year, Next trip I was sick every session and never completed a session. Tranny broke 100+ miles after rebuild on that trip also. It was great fun in any case to travel and see everyone. Great track which I need more time on. We'll see.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

we are thinking summit or VIR, but it needs to be a weekend.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John,

It was great finally meeting you at Pocono. Sorry we didn't get more of a chance to talk. But as you said, there was not a lot of time between sessions, and as you were in the red group and I was in the blue, there wasn't much time to sit around and chat.

The track was in great condition, the weather was perfect and everyone was driving well. Good, courteous group, plenty of point bys. In my group, it was fun hunting down those F355 Challenge cars with my virtually stock Z. Definitely want to do some long tube headers, X pipe and cats over the winter, and a good dyno tune, so I can go after the 360's. Running the slicks on my spare wheels definitely helps with grip and had a ton of fun in the twisties in the infield, not to mention the G forces in that big NASCAR turn 1.

The FCA runs this course several times during the year. I'll keep you informed when they have some other events coming up. You'd love to do Watkins Glen with us in May next year. Relatively uncrowded, and a ton of track time -- usually 5 30-minute sessions per day.

Have a good one and look forward to seeing you again at the track.

Steve
Old 10-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
The FCA runs this course several times during the year. I'll keep you informed when they have some other events coming up. You'd love to do Watkins Glen with us in May next year. Relatively uncrowded, and a ton of track time -- usually 5 30-minute sessions per day.Steve

Steve can you send me this when you find out about WGI next year. I like that schedule...

Old 10-05-2006, 04:40 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics from Ferrari day

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...addtype=local#

Old 10-05-2006, 04:46 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Pics

Old 10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Steve can you send me this when you find out about WGI next year. I like that schedule...

You've got it!! I'll post info for that one, plus they do a "pre-season" track day at Pocono some time in April. Good early season tune-up session. I like the FCA events. They are well run, generally get good track time, and the folks that come out are not maniacs (well, almost all ).

GB -- Nice pics!!!! Too bad you didn't get any of my beeeeautiful black/black baby!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Thanks Steve great seeing you nd keep the forum updated. Greg nice pictures. I was POed that I never had time to take any

I need a deck of cards like the Iraqis were on to learn my Ferrari, Lambo's and Porsches. I can't tell one from the other. duh! Well I know a few.

Greg my friend Pete was looking for some pictures of that Camaro so you saved my butt.

I just love that L ng course!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
You've got it!! I'll post info for that one, plus they do a "pre-season" track day at Pocono some time in April. Good early season tune-up session. I like the FCA events. They are well run, generally get good track time, and the folks that come out are not maniacs (well, almost all ).
thanks. We are looking for different groups that are run correctly and give good track time. this year I tried a few different groups and I was only mad at the Exotic Day at Pocono. I think if you state people are going to be black flagged for no obeying the rules then you best black flag them when they dont.

Chances are I will not be back to that event again.

FCA from what I heard seems to be well organized and people dont mind giving point bys to any car that is faster. That always makes for a fun safe day.

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari Club Pocono Long course 10-3 Tues

Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Basically the same guys running it but you didn't seem to have all the Yahoo's in the groups. The Exotic Day usually runs better than it did this year which I agree was NUTS. Give it another shot.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Basically the same guys running it but you didn't seem to have all the Yahoo's in the groups. The Exotic Day usually runs better than it did this year which I agree was NUTS. Give it another shot.
I still dont understand all the chaos from the last one, but it is over. We will see about next year. It is so much fun beating on the Exotics it is hard to pass up
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I still dont understand all the chaos from the last one, but it is over. We will see about next year. It is so much fun beating on the Exotics it is hard to pass up
I told you guys in advance of that mess, been there won't do that again.

Quick Reply: Ferrari Club Pocono Long course 10-3 Tues