Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANy Before/After #'s with a 4 Corner Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default ANy Before/After #'s with a 4 Corner Balance?

I put my z06 a set of scales today. Didn't have time to complete the job but got some initial corner weight numbers.

Car had been lowered so the base numbers are meaningless. Hoping someone may have done a 4 corner balance and has before/after numbers.

With 3/8 of a tank car weight was 3150, front to back was 52/48%. Corner weighting was way off but I don't know if GM is driven by this in factory setup or more to equalizing ride height front & back.

Intersted in any feedback from other experiences.

Last edited by Chalky; 10-12-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure those scales are level or the #'s mean nothing. 3/8 of a tank will make the left rear heavy as all of the fuel is in the left tank... GM doesn't give a crap about corner wieghts...........Dont forget to put the drivers wieght in the car.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

What, does the gas tank empty right and then left? I thought with a tank close to half I would be fairly nuetraL fluid wise.

Scales were level. Guy who owns the shop where we did it races and build cars, midgets, etc.

Car was also cross jacked quite a bit. I did manage to balance that out. Just like to compare some numbers and see what a stock setup is like if possible or a corner weight after a balance.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

There are two tanks in a C5. The left feeds the engine; the right feeds the left tank.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Should tanks be full for corner weighting?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Should tanks be full for corner weighting?
When I scale they are either empty or full...........the drivers wieght is in the vehicle and at least one sway bar end link from the front and the rear are missing........
Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
When I scale they are either empty or full...........the drivers wieght is in the vehicle and at least one sway bar end link from the front and the rear are missing........
Danny is on the ball, as always. You will need adjustable sway bar links so they can be adjusted to neutral after the corner weighing is finished. Make sure one of them is disconnected while corner weighing and you have the equivalent driver's weight on the seat. We use old rotors as weights.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Live and learn. Sounds like no use adjusting without adjustable endlinks for swaybar.

Makes me wonder how many shops corner balance stock suspension C5's without the adjustable links!!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

You can corner wieght without endlinks.......you will just end up with large amounts of preload in your sway bars.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I dont know chit about the numbers you guys are talking about but after Dan lowered, balanced and aligned my car, I took 6 seconds off my lap time at Putnam this past weekend.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
You can corner wieght without endlinks.......you will just end up with large amounts of preload in your sway bars.
Won't that end up changing the ride height?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WNeal
I dont know chit about the numbers you guys are talking about but after Dan lowered, balanced and aligned my car, I took 6 seconds off my lap time at Putnam this past weekend.
He make house calls or Wisconsin calls? I am right on teh way to Road America from Ohio!!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Danny is on the ball, as always. You will need adjustable sway bar links so they can be adjusted to neutral after the corner weighing is finished. Make sure one of them is disconnected while corner weighing and you have the equivalent driver's weight on the seat. We use old rotors as weights.

Frank Gonzalez
I went the easy route and had Phoenix Racing do my car. Had to get adjustable end links for the job to be done. The C5 adj. end links work just fine on the C6 Z06.
They also know how to account for the gasoline tanks and driver weight. Very impressive bunch!!

Hey Danny, did ya ever get my PM???

Bob
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Cape Cod Bob,
Your name, yellow Z06 and address look familiar. I think that we were at Phoenix/Palm the same day having the same work (corner-weighting and allignment) done. I'm the guy with the Silver 03 Z06. I followed the advice of those in the know and went where they did--the Pros at Phoenix. My ride is now much more predictable and precise. Aside from the work I had done there, I also got great, low cost "private lessons" in things Corvette.

Bob 33
Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WNeal
I dont believe I can take all of the credit for your time reduction......a little extra experience, and the lead -follow you had going on with Sam probably had more to do with it..........I am absolutely sure that the car was significantly better though, but not 6 sec. Congratulations
Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Won't that end up changing the ride height?
Well yeah, unless you are adding wieght , adjusting ride hieght moves wieght.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

RaftRacer:

Do you shoot for pretty much equal weight on each wheel?. I am showing 52/48 front/back with a 3/8 tank of gas.

I would like to know what a stock Z06 looks like on the scales.

Get notified of new replies

To ANy Before/After #'s with a 4 Corner Balance?

Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Supercar
2nd Gear

Corner weighing only moves the weight from one diagonal to the other. You want those about equal for a track with an equal number of right and left turns (if those exist). Some also try to set the front wheels equal for better braking. Corner weighing will not change the front/rear weight distribution by more than a few lbs, and that will be mostly due to the suspension fore/aft movement.

Ride heights are set separately from corner weighing based on the desired ground clearance, suspension kinematics and aerodynamics.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chalky
RaftRacer:

Do you shoot for pretty much equal weight on each wheel?. I am showing 52/48 front/back with a 3/8 tank of gas.

I would like to know what a stock Z06 looks like on the scales.
Equal wieght not likely to happen on that car unless you are ballasting vehicle . Diagnal totals = 50% of total vehicle wieght is what you will be after. Set vehicle desired vehicle trim height first and then obtain 50.0% cross and you will be in buisness.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
I went the easy route and had Phoenix Racing do my car. Had to get adjustable end links for the job to be done. The C5 adj. end links work just fine on the C6 Z06.
They also know how to account for the gasoline tanks and driver weight. Very impressive bunch!!

Bob

Yeah, I'm lazy too and let Phoenix do my cars. Either Phoenixville (Mark) or Palm (Kurt) can do a first-class job.

Frank Gonzalez

Quick Reply: ANy Before/After #'s with a 4 Corner Balance?