Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Track Record at Phoenix International

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:05 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Track Record at Phoenix International

It started out as a rainy overcast day but in typical Phoenix fashion, it didn't last. The sun came out and dried out the track. It wasn't long before the fun started.
The Arizona Corvette Racers were out for top times at PIR and as the day progressed it was getting close. Then the final NASA time trials shootout at the end of the day didn't disappoint. SHirl Dickey (mrEracer on CF) and Dave Hurley (who podiumed at the NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio) were on the attack.
You could have tied a string between Shirl and Dave but in the end, Shirl pulled out a 1:07.1 with Dave in tow at 1:07.4 both in TTR! So a new track record is born. How long will it last?

Unfortunately for me, no transponders were to be had but is was fun none-the-less. For anyone who can, ditch the snow and come out west for some fall/winter racing action in Phoenix.
We should have some pics up later today at Redracervette.com.

Jon
Old 10-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, I'm going try to make the NASA and PAS events in November. I need to get some track time in the Z before the Camaro is done.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice times. I'm going to get up there one of these days.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 AM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastzr1
Nice times. I'm going to get up there one of these days.
You're only 3 hours away - come on up. We have a number of Vettes in the group. We have some guys come out from CA as well.

It's nice to have a bunch of fast Vettes to keep a check on the ricers.
In the interest of proper disclosure however, my daily driver is a Supra. No flames please!

Jon
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Good job Shirl and Dave. You did a great job keeping up the pride of our mark. ...Or maybe the mark just simply did justice to your fantastic driving. Either way we are all proud.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Oli... We had a good day..

Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down at our feet by the California Corvette contingent... I'll see how many Arizona Corvette Racers I can get to tow up to Spring Mountain and we'll have an AZ/CA gunfight (at the Spring Mountain Corral)...
Shirl
Old 10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

1:07 is a track record? What sanctioning body is that. Just curious as I know CJ ran a 1:06 there in his T1 vette this year? Forgive that my sig shows Scottsdale, I just moved out here and am not familiar with PIR ......Yet

OH edit... I see it's NASA. That's cool. Gotta get used to NASA, it wasn't that popular back east for corvettes. Seems to be growing though.

Last edited by NJCRUISER; 10-17-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

NJCRUISER
You know, there's always someone who knows someone else that is faster than you are... I'm sure there are many Corvette drivers around the country that could take this record, but they were not there that day. I was and I did. You on the other hand live right here and Arizona and appear to have a T1 Corvette. Why don't YOU come on out and take the record from me... BTW, that's the NASA TTR track record for PIR. There are two more NASA events before the end of the year and we will be there.

We have a great group of Corvette drivers who have banded together as 'Arizona Corvette Racers'. We are very competitive and have a great comaraderie. We let our cars and our driving do the talking..

If you want to joins us, we meet every Wednesday night at The Native New Yorker (I-10 and Ray Road) from 6:00 pm till 9:00 pm for hot wings and beer. Also, check our web site, <redracervette.com>
Shirl Dickey
'Black Mamba', #60
Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Originally Posted by MrEracer
NJCRUISER
You know, there's always someone who knows someone else that is faster than you are... I'm sure there are many Corvette drivers around the country that could take this record, but they were not there that day. I was and I did. You on the other hand live right here and Arizona and appear to have a T1 Corvette. Why don't YOU come on out and take the record from me... BTW, that's the NASA TTR track record for PIR. There are two more NASA events before the end of the year and we will be there.

We have a great group of Corvette drivers who have banded together as 'Arizona Corvette Racers'. We are very competitive and have a great comaraderie. We let our cars and our driving do the talking..

If you want to joins us, we meet every Wednesday night at The Native New Yorker (I-10 and Ray Road) from 6:00 pm till 9:00 pm for hot wings and beer. Also, check our web site, <redracervette.com>
Shirl Dickey
'Black Mamba', #60
Hmmmm, maybe that did not come out right. I was thinking PIR's track record for a corvette not NASA - see edit.I am interested in the level of preparation and rules for corvettes in NASA TTR?
Sold my car last year. Did do a 1:36.9 first time at mid ohio though with a bad 360 rwhp motor. I think I could hang with you just fine but that wasn't the intention If I decide to race a vette this year I'll see ya there.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
Hmmmm, maybe that did not come out right. I was thinking PIR's track record for a corvette not NASA - see edit.I am interested in the level of preparation and rules for corvettes in NASA TTR?
Sold my car last year. Did do a 1:36.9 first time at mid ohio though with a bad 360 rwhp motor. I think I could hang with you just fine but that wasn't the intention If I decide to race a vette this year I'll see ya there.

Yeah, well I would lap both of you!

Well, let's see what happens at Spring Mountain in two weeks. I can banter and talk smack until then...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Red Racer

Default It is not as easy as it might seem....

I hear it all the time when a TTOD is posted. " oh, yeah I did a xxxx on that track". Well, it is not as easy as one might think.

Bring a true T1 car to the snake pit and it might get bit a few times but should be able to walk away with a good time. But if you run equal types of equipment, in the same weather, with the same tight competitive cars all around you...better bring some anti-venom.

We welcome all runners of all classes to try the southern climate for a winter getaway. We can guarantee competition, but cannot guarantee you will go away a winner. Many have tried, some have succeeded, most have gone home to put more speed parts on their cars.

Give us a try, check the schedule, pictures, videos, stories and stuff on the Arizona Corvette Racers webpage: www.redracervette.com . Then pack your gear and get warm.

Last edited by Red Racer; 10-17-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

NJCRUISER
Sorry if I took your post wrong... The NASA TTR class has no restrictions. It's a 'run what you brung' class and open to all comers including Vipers, Porsche's, Ford GT's and other exotics, stock to modified. As a time trials series, it is not racing and may not attract the fastest race cars but the competition is very strong and getting stronger.
The NASA TTR Nationals at Mid Ohio was won by a 600hp FWD (Subaru or Evo) and 2nd place was a small car with a big engine that looked like a CanAm car and third place was our own Dave Hurley in his C5 Z06 (fastest Corvette in all time trials classes)...
If you get another car you would be welcome to come race with us... We do not shirk from tough competition, it makes us stronger...
Shirl

Get notified of new replies

To New Track Record at Phoenix International

Quick Reply: New Track Record at Phoenix International