Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Lt4owners that track and autocross

Old 10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
c4pappy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Lt4owners that track and autocross

I just sold my C4 and I am looking to do something cheaper (it was a GS with Rippie motor and suspension). I want a nice 96 Lt4 to use once a month for a track day and once a month to autocross and as a daily driver, except for winter.

Will a stock LT4 be OK for track days (I'm not looking to be the fastest car, I just want to have fun)?

My old GS had 8 qt. pan and oil cooler. Are those necessary or would I be OK stock?

I'm worried that I would have to spend a lot of money to keep from overheating the oil and keeping the oil pump full. Also I plan on running slicks of some sort so there will be some serious lateral g's.

Last edited by c4pappy; 10-15-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:30 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I run my LT4 all stock. about 8000 track miles to date.
has rollbar and harnesses, and biggest GM sway bars.
otherwise, it's pretty much stock.

the motor handle's 280-290 oil temps no problem.
The coolant temp never goes over 200 while on track.

18K it's yours, as I have a line on a Z06.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:00 PM
c4pappy
Advanced

Larry, I'm depending on you to keep me in cheap tires. I've looked at the Z06's also. I just hate having that much money on the track (Z06).
Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

I'd at least put an accusump in it.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4pappy
I just sold my C4 and I am looking to do something cheaper (it was a GS with Rippie motor and suspension). I want a nice 96 Lt4 to use once a month for a track day and once a month to autocross and as a daily driver, except for winter.

Will a stock LT4 be OK for track days (I'm not looking to be the fastest car, I just want to have fun)?

My old GS had 8 qt. pan and oil cooler. Are those necessary or would I be OK stock?

I'm worried that I would have to spend a lot of money to keep from overheating the oil and keeping the oil pump full. Also I plan on running slicks of some sort so there will be some serious lateral g's.
I ran my 96 LT4 CE for 5 years at the track. Hell, I never even changed the plugs. I changed the oil and fluids a lot though. I never put on headers or amything. However, I put on springs and shocks from VBP and the Z07 from sway bar from GM and a GS rear bar but that's it. I'm not in a C5 which is a totally different car.

The only thing that ever broke on the car was the c-clip that holds in the half shafts in the diff. It was a thousand bucks to fix, but that was it for 5 years. I say go for it. The LT4 is a solid motor. I had a lot of fun in it and won some time trials in my class with it too.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are starting out fresh looking for a car, I'd advise one of these.

http://www.tccracing.com/forsale.htm

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Lt4owners that track and autocross

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Lt4owners that track and autocross