Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some C2 questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Some C2 questions.....

Does anyone here solo / autoX a C2?

I'm new to the part of the forum and mostly hang in the C2 section.

I have a lightly modified 65 that I have done a little autoX work with....neither it nor I will ever be real competitive but I would like to see about stiffening it up a bit. It is a convertible, and I don't have or want to go with a cage. I would like to just reduce it's tendancy to flex and if possible maybe reduce some of the cowl shake when it is on the road. I have heard that filling the frame rails with a rigid foam is a trick sometimes used to firm things up, anyone ever heard of this or done it....

I was also told there was a book called Chevy Power or similar that had some suggestions for frame mods that could be done to have things out.

Not looking to go crazy here but if anyone has some experience with the C2, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks
Darren
Old 10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

When I had my C2, I found that the roll bar with a front brace (removeable) offered the best handling. Other than that you can gusset the rear kick up on the frame--just before the rear wheel, the front clips can also be gusseted and the solid rear spring mounts. If you do not have power steering, that will be you best handling solution and an aftermarket or later corvette steering wheel (14-15"). I also transformed a 81' corvette seat to fit the drivers side and made slits for a 6 point harness--autocrossing and hpde. Carrera used to make HD shock, I believe they still do, along with the F41 suspension. Otherwise you can convert to a late model front and rear fiberglass suspension from vette brakes. Also, 15x 8.5" wheels and all purpose tires like Nitto NT-1 or Kumho V700 for better grip. This should get you started.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gordy is right on all counts, but if you don't want to run with a cage, make sure you run with the hardtop firmly bolted in place. You can pull the body off and weld the frame rails if you want to get crazy. You can install a Greenwood 5 link rear susp. while the body is off or if you don't want to take the body off the frame, a Guldstrand 5 link bolts in w/minor modification. Make sure your dog legs (frame kick up in front of the rear tires) are strong and free of major rust.
Three other mods, Steeroids, carbon fiber drive/half shafts, and 17" wheels (w/the larger brakes that fit in them). OK that's 4.
Do half this stuff and you will have a car that rides as well as a new one and will handle with all but the most heavily modded ones. /:\
Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

go to the C-3 section...Corvette frames from 63-79 are basically the same, and look on ebay for an OLDER copy of the Chevy Power book. (newer ones didn`t have a Corvette section).
.....redvetracr
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
look on ebay for an OLDER copy of the Chevy Power book. (newer ones didn`t have a Corvette section).
I have this in pdf format, anybody who wants it just drop me an email.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, you didn't mention how original your car is. If it's not too modded yet, given the value of C2's these days, it might not be a bad idea to prep a frame and drop your body on it (I bought an epoxy coated 75-77 frame for $900 at Carlisle this year. You may need to modify some body mounts).
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
When I had my C2, I found that the roll bar with a front brace (removeable) offered the best handling. Other than that you can gusset the rear kick up on the frame--just before the rear wheel, the front clips can also be gusseted and the solid rear spring mounts. If you do not have power steering, that will be you best handling solution and an aftermarket or later corvette steering wheel (14-15"). I also transformed a 81' corvette seat to fit the drivers side and made slits for a 6 point harness--autocrossing and hpde. Carrera used to make HD shock, I believe they still do, along with the F41 suspension. Otherwise you can convert to a late model front and rear fiberglass suspension from vette brakes. Also, 15x 8.5" wheels and all purpose tires like Nitto NT-1 or Kumho V700 for better grip. This should get you started.
I agree with Gordy....up to a point. I have been racing (real racing) my 63 Z06 for more than 30 years. My best advice is to call Dick Guldstrand enterprises and tell them what your car weighs, what engine and usage, and what tires. Then buy whatever (whole) combination that they suggest (including the bump steer kit), and bolt it on EXACTLY as they suggest. Adjust your tire pressure, and get some seat time. Good luck,
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guy for the info....

My car is what I call lightly modified...my rule is I like it to look stock to the casual viewer and no changes that can't be easily undone in case I have to sell it (as mentioned they price is getting up there but it has always been my toy/fun car) I have offset trailing arms and wider tires on 17 inch rims. Uprated swaybar in front (1 inch maybe even 1.125 been awhile since I played with it) I used to have a rear swaybar, but I was not over happy with it and the new offset arms prevent it's use. The car has been lightend somewhat with various AL replacement parts and unneeded stuff removed...I need to get it weighed but I expect it is maybe 100-130 lbs off of stock.

I might consider the rear frame change as I always felt the flex was worst right at that rear kickup....but can it be done given the C2 body?...it seems like the body prevents exactly the same bracing that the C3 had...as I recall the C3 is 'different' behind the seats.

Guess no one liked my foam filler idea...

Anyone know of a rear bar that will fit the C2 with the offset control arms....or someplace in SoCal that might do a custom setup? I don't want much in the back maybe 7/16.

I have talked to Gulstrand....I have most of their recommendations in place...sadly had to get rid of the spherical bearings in the rear with the new arms but figured poly bushing with wider tires was a better trade over skinny tires and the bearings.

69autoXr you will be getting a PM...

Darren
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Email sent, the file is 8MB, LMK if there are any problems receiving.

Get notified of new replies

To Some C2 questions.....

Quick Reply: Some C2 questions.....