Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Car Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:36 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Car Project

Well here's the skinny, finally!

Being bitten by the "Go Fast Crack Pipe" in regards to road racing, I was pushing my daily driver further and further at the track, dealing with the reprocusions as a result. Thanx to some yocal, I mean local, friends who were addicted to the same obsession, I was slowly converted to the OCD individual I am today(thank you! ) So after some financial planing, I came up with a proposal and budget(neither of which made a dam bit of difference )

For approx 5 months my car has been at Orange County Corvette receiving a major overhaul/upgrade to the Rippie...a C500 RSR 2000 Coupe. Many people tried encouraging me to buy a used race car but because of my nature, I decided on the opposite!

Because I'm a person that's all about the journey, I decided to build it from a good foundation and after many long talks to Sean at OCC, he was the person I wanted for the job. After being s#rewed by a few tuner shops in the past(most especially one in particular) and shoddy work from the others, OCC seemed contrary to all that and so far has proven an excellent choice.

Bottom line, here's the punch list:

Chassis:DRM suspension/big brake package w/ DTC 70 pads, CCW corsairs 12's and 11's .

Engine: 427 LS7 block w/ ls1 crank trigger, de-stroked Callies ultra lite crank, JE pistons, Oliver Rods, Jesel solid lifters, Custom grind Comp Roller Cam, Roll Master timing chain; All PRo 12 deg heads machined for Jesel rockers, ARE oiler valve covers, LS7 ported intake manifold w/60lb RC injectors, Mafless, Nick Williams TB, Ripppie Air intake system, 1 7/8" USA racing header/ 3"exh system shooting for 8500 rpm rev limit!

Drive Train: Tilton 7.25 triple metalic sintered clutch kit, Carbon fiber drive shaft, MN6 T56 tranny w/upgraded G-Force gear stacks and taller 1 gear/shorter 6th gear, Quaif diff w/4:10 shotpeened and upgraded half shafts.

Body: SCCA spec cage with NASCAR door bars, ACP World Challege rear quarter panels, ACP 4" splitter w/CF under tray mounted to ACP front facia with internal bonded frame(entire piece is removable, original lexan removable top, DRM heat extractor hood(eventually vented fender wells and louvered hood, Diffuser in future, PWR custom trans/diff coolers w/ mocal lube pumps, NACA ducts to funnel coolers fabed custom throug license plate area, RD intergal/oil radiator, ARE external 3 stage dry sump system w/2 g. resevoir, HARDBAR Wing assembly, Lexan front and rear windows w/nascar supports, NACA ducts fabed to side windows.

Well, there's the teaser...debut to be...TBD!

Stay tuned...

Ed

Last edited by AMERICANMUSL; 11-25-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds really cool, post some pics when your done
Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I was at Orange County Corvette on Monday with my car and I saw Ed's car. John was in the process of mounting the vertical supports for the carbon fiber wing. The wing was sitting next to the car on its shipping box. It looked very cool.

The splitter on the front seemed to be complete and looked cool, too. The roll-cage fabrication is a work of art and safety. All in all it looks like it is coming along great, but there appears to still be a lot of work to do under the hood.

I can't wait to get lapped by Ed at Spring Mountain!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:59 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

You forgot to mention your "Mr. Magoo" tachometer, which looks like it was bought out of a JC Whitney catalog

I hope your "debut" at SM goes well, (at least better than previous debuts )

.....and you need to add to your "legend" on the Baker - Pahrump run
Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Ed,
Sounds like a fun project. I know you have been busy lately, but we need pictures!!!

I have someone that would love your old hood. It's Cobra on this forum.

Randy
Old 10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

hahah... I allready PMed him! Thanks for looking out Randy

On topic... sounds like an amazing project... how will you get to 8500 rpms I thought the PCM tables only go up to 8000?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by joemoia
Ed,

You forgot to mention your "Mr. Magoo" tachometer, which looks like it was bought out of a JC Whitney catalog

I hope your "debut" at SM goes well, (at least better than previous debuts )

.....and you need to add to your "legend" on the Baker - Pahrump run
Yeh, I just love the Autometer Monster 5" Tach w/ shift light(Summit actually!)...that's just bitch'n!

I'm trying to live down the baker run...shhhh!

You mean you're not gracing us with your presence?

Ed
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Hey Ed,
Sounds like a fun project. I know you have been busy lately, but we need pictures!!!

I have someone that would love your old hood. It's Cobra on this forum.

Randy
Pix will have to wait for a few weeks...yup, I already PM'd him with the bad news...I think that your hood is the best looking in form and function...no way am I parting with it! Truely unique which goes with the theme of this car.

Ed
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Yeh, I just love the Autometer Monster 5" Tach w/ shift light(Summit actually!)...that's just bitch'n!

I'm trying to live down the baker run...shhhh!

You mean you're not gracing us with your presence?

Ed
I'm passing on this one, I've already been to 5 multi-day track events this year and I'm going up to Monterey this weekend for the ALMS and SWC season finales.

I'll go to the next Corvette weekend at SM in Feb./Mar.

Have fun, and set a new track record!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:25 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by joemoia
I'm passing on this one, I've already been to 5 multi-day track events this year and I'm going up to Monterey this weekend for the ALMS and SWC season finales.

I'll go to the next Corvette weekend at SM in Feb./Mar.

Have fun, and set a new track record!
Right on...same to you!

Ed
Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Did I see a roll cage and fire suppession listed or not?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Did I see a roll cage and fire suppession listed or not?
...absolutely!Just a teaser until I get more time to go into details! cage w/nascar door bars SCCA specs and 5lb AFFF w 4 nozzles...I'm a firefighter by trade so "Safety First, Last and Always"...my motto throug out my career!

Ed
Old 10-24-2006, 07:08 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

...just a little update:

Back end/bodywork completed...don't know if the shotpeening will work in time with the quaif dif, pumps/coolers done...coating on the pistons taking longer than expected so complete engine assembly has been delayed...clutch turned out to be Tilton 7.25 triple metalic package(should be here Thursday at latest!...naca ducts finished, Corsairs should be here Wednesday...whew! had a little clearance issue with the tall 3 g. oil resevoir for ARE dry sump system initially but OOC fabed it to work! ...decided on a GO PURE POWER remote reusable bypass oil filter(similar to canton) system cause I like the quality Billet CNC 34 GPM's better...let's see, quick release ATI hub assembly w/SPARCO steering wheel is complete...still lot's to do but remaining positive with the event!

If someone wants to give me there email addy, I'll email pix so they can post...

Stay tuned...Ed
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Pics!!! Go to photobucket.com and setup an account.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
...just a little update:

Back end/bodywork completed...don't know if the shotpeening will work in time with the quaif dif, pumps/coolers done...coating on the pistons taking longer than expected so complete engine assembly has been delayed...clutch turned out to be Tilton 7.25 triple metalic package(should be here Thursday at latest!...naca ducts finished, Corsairs should be here Wednesday...whew! had a little clearance issue with the tall 3 g. oil resevoir for ARE dry sump system initially but OOC fabed it to work! ...decided on a GO PURE POWER remote reusable bypass oil filter(similar to canton) system cause I like the quality Billet CNC 34 GPM's better...let's see, quick release ATI hub assembly w/SPARCO steering wheel is complete...still lot's to do but remaining positive with the event!

If someone wants to give me there email addy, I'll email pix so they can post...

Stay tuned...Ed

drm@tcinternet.net or
randy_racer@hotmail.com

Spring rates? For new aero!!!

Randy
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
drm@tcinternet.net or
randy_racer@hotmail.com

Spring rates? For new aero!!!

Randy
Going to start w/ 550 in front and 700 in back(coil overs) what did you WC Boos run again?

Sending pix now...

Ed
Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

I have no idea what John Boos ran. But that is about right, try it out and see if it works good.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Track Car Project

Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 PM