Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 T1 Runoffs race clips

Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2006 T1 Runoffs race clips

Ok guys and gals, here’s some clips of the 2006 T1 Runoffs. They are all relatively low-res versions for You-tube. The first link is the first two laps of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkK1Fn4HapQ

You’ll notice at the start that (for some reason), John Heinricy is lined up on the wrong side. I’m not sure if that was a mistake on his part, the grid setter or what he planned. You’ll see the gap in front of me, but it was John’s spot so I didn’t want to close it off…but it gave me a great start!!!!!

Turn 1 was ugly and you’ll see the dust screen. All you can see is the tail end of Lance’s car. As we go into turn 3, I become a JH/AJ sandwich as John shoots up the inside and Andrew (I think) tried to go around the outside of me. JH got by, but I was able to stay ahead of AJ.

As we get to turn 6, I do a real straight-line late brake and actually pass Heinricy for the position. It took several laps for his tires to warm up and he went off track at the exit of 7 more times than I can count as I watched my mirrors coming out of the turn!! How he kept control of that car lap after lap is beyond me.

By the end of lap 2, I was closing on both Lynch’s Viper and Lance.
________________________________________ _____________

Here’s the link to the last lap of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQP1CkWxAYI
Lynch’s Viper would pull 6-9 car lengths on the main straight and it would take everything I had to catch him back up by turn 14. I had stuck my nose in under him on several occasions/corners during the race, but he chopped me off every time. This time though, I just said ‘to hell with it’ and took the corner. As expected, he just dove down, hit me and spun us both. He got the worst of it though as I was able to get back to 1st gear and beat him to the line. After the race, you could clearly see a ‘doughnut’ of my right front tire on his left side door. The corner was mine!
________________________________________ ________________

And last but certainly not least, here’s reason number 874 why the Vipers (and the Ferraris for that matter) should not be classed in T1 with the Corvettes. Why not get the arguments started early for next year….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJ1ciM1hTY
Watch as John Heinricy (8 time national champion) passes Lynch into 14. John had been trying to get by Lynch for probably 5 laps or so (including a couple of wheel to wheel bangs), but couldn’t make up the Viper’s power. Here’s another example. JH passes Lynch into 14 and actually gets a good exit on the power. But by start/finish, Lynch is even and then past JH, and continues to drive completely around him and even pulls another 2 or 3 car lengths by the crest of the hill!!!!!! Crap! To make matters worse, the Vipers still have enough tires and brakes to keep JH off of him into the braking zone. John was actually able to get by him later on in the lap when Lynch left the door open into 5.
Yeah, JH took an early apex at 14 to pass Lynch which possibly hurt his exit a bit, but you sure couldn’t tell it the way he accelerated out of the corner. Considering John had the corner, he also effectively slowed the Viper just a bit so I’m not sure that either of their runs out of the corner were any better than the other. But, the Viper pulls at least 6-8 car lengths up the straight and was able to drive completely around John. They were both on Hoosier tires.

As always, you know where to get the complete race on DVD. It’s $20 and available immediately. Let me know: wtknght1@aol.com

Last edited by wtknght1; 10-19-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Ok guys and gals, here’s some clips of the 2006 T1 Runoffs. The first link is the first two laps of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkK1Fn4HapQ

You’ll notice at the start that (for some reason), John Heinricy is lined up on the wrong side. I’m not sure if that was a mistake on his part, the grid setter or what he planned. You’ll see the gap in front of me, but it was John’s spot so I didn’t want to close it off…but it gave me a great start!!!!!

Turn 1 was ugly and you’ll see the dust screen. All you can see is the tail end of Lance’s car. As we go into turn 3, I become a JH/AJ sandwich as John shoots up the inside and Andrew (I think) tried to go around the outside of me. JH got by, but I was able to stay ahead of AJ.

As we get to turn 6, I do a real straight-line late brake and actually pass Heinricy for the position. It took several laps for his tires to warm up and he went off track at the exit of 7 more times than I can count as I watched my mirrors coming out of the turn!! How he kept control of that car lap after lap is beyond me.

By the end of lap 2, I was closing on both Lynch’s Viper and Lance.
________________________________________ _____________

Here’s the link to the last lap of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQP1CkWxAYI
Lynch’s Viper would pull 6-9 car lengths on the main straight and it would take everything I had to catch him back up by turn 14. I had stuck my nose in under him on several occasions/corners during the race, but he chopped me off every time. This time though, I just said ‘to hell with it’ and took the corner. As expected, he just dove down, hit me and spun us both. He got the worst of it though as I was able to get back to 1st gear and beat him to the line. After the race, you could clearly see a ‘doughnut’ of my right front tire on his left side door. The corner was mine!
________________________________________ ________________

And last but certainly not least, here’s reason number 874 why the Vipers (and the Ferraris for that matter) should not be classed in T1 with the Corvettes. Why not get the arguments started early for next year….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJ1ciM1hTY
Watch as John Heinricy (8 time national champion) passes Lynch into 14. John had been trying to get by Lynch for probably 5 laps or so (including a couple of wheel to wheel bangs), but couldn’t make up the Viper’s power. Here’s another example. JH passes Lynch into 14 and actually gets a good exit on the power. But by start/finish, Lynch is even and then past JH, and continues to drive completely around him and even pulls another 2 or 3 car lengths by the crest of the hill!!!!!! Crap! To make matters worse, the Vipers still have enough tires and brakes to keep JH off of him into the braking zone. John was actually able to get by him later on in the lap when Lynch left the door open into 5.
Yeah, JH took an early apex at 14 to pass Lynch which possibly hurt his exit a bit, but you sure couldn’t tell it the way he accelerated out of the corner. Considering John had the corner, he also effectively slowed the Viper just a bit so I’m not sure that either of their runs out of the corner were any better than the other. But, the Viper pulls at least 6-8 car lengths up the straight and was able to drive completely around John. They were both on Hoosier tires.

As always, you know where to get the complete race on DVD. It’s $20 and available immediately. Let me know: wtknght1@aol.com
Chris, congratulations on a very lucid and even-handed postulation of the Vette vs. Viper situation. I am sure the Viper camp will whine about their restrictor and extra weight, but we know those are specious arguments.

Let's all write to SCCA and demand that the Viper and C6Z be allowed to run unhindered in the new Über Touring class (or whatever they call it). Then if the Viper is too fat of a pig to run competitively, let Dr. Whatshisname (the Kraut on Daimler-Chrysler TV ads) get his engineers on it to make it slimmer.

I have already sent my letter to SCCA. Who else wants to contribute their thoughts?

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
racetex
Advanced

Couple of things Chris. You are not getting back on the gas soon enough. Same problem we had and it took a ton of laps to get the car working right. Lance was in front of Lynch so it would appear the C5 pulled you as well. I have seen some of lance's video and he is getting on the gas in spots well before you are. The most notible spots are coming on the staright and the chicane. You should continue to get faster at HPT as you put in more laps and get your car setup better.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
racetex
Advanced

The Kraut?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racetex
The Kraut?
I believe he calls himself Dr. Z or some such BS. Has a heavy accent to stress the superior German engineering that Daimler-Chrysler brings to the table. Pure adevertising BS, if you ask me.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What the hell, you guys were all over that viper. You guys were faster in some parts and slower in others. Let the other cars run!!!!!!!!! Or just go spec miata racing or something.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Janni
Advanced

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I believe he calls himself Dr. Z or some such BS. Has a heavy accent to stress the superior German engineering that Daimler-Chrysler brings to the table. Pure adevertising BS, if you ask me.

Frank Gonzalez
Classy - the guy actually has a doctorate in engineering and his last name is Zeitsche.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! I could not imagine being on a track side by side (inches) from other cars running at 10/10th's fighting for position. I have been doing HPDE for quite some time and consider myself an advanced driver, but I realize very quickly that I would crash soooo fast and take people out if I attempted to join that crowd. I just see cars coming out of no where jumping in front of your line and almost trying to FORCE you off the road. I have seen lots of race video's, but for some reason, that one makes me realize how nuts you guys really are!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
What the hell, you guys were all over that viper. You guys were faster in some parts and slower in others. Let the other cars run!!!!!!!!! Or just go spec miata racing or something.
Come out in a T1 Corvette buddy and watch the Vipers walk away from you down the straights and see if you still feel the same way.

Had Scotty not blown a tire (or whatever happened to him), he would have won the race by 20+ seconds if he wanted to. He was the only one that turned in the 1:49s during the race...and he did 4 of them! God only knows how fast that car really is, or what times he can turn. Remember, he was over 2 seconds faster in the qualifying than the closest vette and he really only did one actual 'qualifying' run. The other days were done at race weight fuel.

Couple of things Chris. You are not getting back on the gas soon enough. Same problem we had and it took a ton of laps to get the car working right. Lance was in front of Lynch so it would appear the C5 pulled you as well. I have seen some of lance's video and he is getting on the gas in spots well before you are. The most notible spots are coming on the staright and the chicane. You should continue to get faster at HPT as you put in more laps and get your car setup better.
Our set up was good, but not great and I was trying to avoid burning up the rear Kumhos. With the 315s on front, it's easy to vaporize those rear tires and that was about all they had. When I tried to get on them sooner and harder, I got power oversteer which you can see in some of the other laps on the Video. That 2d lap was actually faster than both Lance and Lynch, but as you said, the set up wasn't perfect and I could feel the tires spinning a bit too much. That plus the Hoosiers (Lance and Lynch were running) didn't seem to heat up as quick as the Kumhos. Once they did though, they were tough!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Come out in a T1 Corvette buddy and watch the Vipers walk away from you down the straights and see if you still feel the same way.
Yeah but you were all over him in the braking zones and in the turns-if they weren't faster in a straight line it would be no contest! I'm a big Vette supporter but it sounds like some of you guys want a spec class...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
racetex
Advanced

I ran 305's up front. Those big 345's were nice. I really didn't have any wheel spin when I ran the 315's in the back. The 345's helped in turn 3.

As you know not getting on the gas will kill you in a straight line. I think JH was having the same problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
Yeah but you were all over him in the braking zones and in the turns-if they weren't faster in a straight line it would be no contest! I'm a big Vette supporter but it sounds like some of you guys want a spec class...
No, they want a class in which they can compete on equal terms. Going to the Runoffs in the hope that the Vipers break down (or screw up their illegal tires) is not what the Vette camp wants or deserves.

I have driven with you at VIR and I know you understand what a big difference 2 seconds per lap is at HRP. In qualifying, Scotty blew all the Vettes away by 2 second per lap or better; and regardless of what he will tell you, he is not a better driver than the Vette drivers there: JH, LK, CI, et al. The same applies to Cindy, Jeff, etc. The Viper in T-1 is an overdog, pure and simple.

The only fair thing to do, IMHO, is to pair the 500HP cars in Ultra Touring, or whatever SCCA chooses to call the new class. Then let them race unhindered. Run what you brung and let the best car+driver win.

My devalued $0.02.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
No, they want a class in which they can compete on equal terms. Going to the Runoffs in the hope that the Vipers break down (or screw up their illegal tires) is not what the Vette camp wants or deserves.

I have driven with you at VIR and I know you understand what a big difference 2 seconds per lap is at HRP. In qualifying, Scotty blew all the Vettes away by 2 second per lap or better; and regardless of what he will tell you, he is not a better driver than the Vette drivers there: JH, LK, CI, et al. The same applies to Cindy, Jeff, etc. The Viper in T-1 is an overdog, pure and simple.

The only fair thing to do, IMHO, is to pair the 500HP cars in Ultra Touring, or whatever SCCA chooses to call the new class. Then let them race unhindered. Run what you brung and let the best car+driver win.

My devalued $0.02.

Frank Gonzalez

Fair enough, but how do you make dis-similar cars equal? Is it even possible?

Let's debate this over a beer or three tommorrow at the track!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

As you know not getting on the gas will kill you in a straight line. I think JH was having the same problem.
Just stop Jeff.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jeff spank Lance when they trade up cars. Chris, Maybe you could run your car at that event to learn from Jeff when he shows you how it's done in a C5.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
racetex
Advanced

Got 2 be a *** huh.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
racetex
Advanced

OK Chris I'm done. Have a great off season and I hope to see you on the track soon.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 T1 Runoffs race clips

Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Already ran against him and Dave when they were running their vettes. This is part of the overall argument about how fast the Viper is.

2005 Runoffs results:

Final Position Driver Fastest Lap

7 Chris Ingle 1:34.692

8 William Ziegler 1:35.318

9 Freddy Baker 1:35.376

10 Michael Pettiford 1:35.763

11 David Pintaric 1:35.856

12 Pete Looby 1:36.197

13 Joseph Aquilante 1:36.763

14 Jeffrey Robbins 1:36.249
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
racetex
Advanced

Thanks Chris I ran a viper that year. Also it was only my second year racing reg or nat.

Now you stop.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not enough $$$ to go T1 racing any time soon (wife going back to school). But after watching your videos, I saw the viper was a little bit quicker at the top end. But you vette guys figured out a way to get by him. The viper driver was kinda all over the road, but on the gas early, which makes it hard to get around. You vette guys in the tight stuff and under braking had them beat.

Randy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 T1 Runoffs race clips