Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 PM
pit-pony
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on tires

New C6 is on order and although I asked on the Wheels section, I'm still looking for advice on what wheels and tires to get for the occasional track sessions for next season.

I'm thinking of going 18 all around (19 R compound tires are scarce) and RA-1s but I'd appreciate advice on the right sizes for tires and wheels.

I'll also buy the extra Tire Monitoring hardware and the programming tool and want to know if these will fit in most after market wheels.

Thanks

..jack
Old 10-21-2006, 10:38 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with 18x10 in the front and 18x11 in the back and RA-1s. No real problems this year. Those wheels will let you run 275+/- up front and 305+/- out back. CCW will set you up with that package no problem. If you wanted to stay with 19's in the back, Hoosier just released a 295-30-19 which looks like it would work for us plain old vanilla C6s.

Unless you really want them, don't bother with the TPMs and the tool. The experience has been that the computer works on the no news is good news principle. Basically, if it doesn't get a bad reading the computer doesn't do anything stupid. I've seen people drive to the track on their track tires, run all weekend (with active handling off) and drive home no problem.

Originally Posted by pit-pony
New C6 is on order and although I asked on the Wheels section, I'm still looking for advice on what wheels and tires to get for the occasional track sessions for next season.

I'm thinking of going 18 all around (19 R compound tires are scarce) and RA-1s but I'd appreciate advice on the right sizes for tires and wheels.

I'll also buy the extra Tire Monitoring hardware and the programming tool and want to know if these will fit in most after market wheels.

Thanks

..jack

Quick Reply: Advice on tires