Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help setting up Autocross and Road Race car to improve cornering

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for help setting up Autocross and Road Race car to improve cornering

I am looking for help with road race set up to improve cornering. I wanted to add about 2 degrees of neg camber to my 06 C6/Z51 for road raciing adn autocrossing. My local shop could only get 1.1 degrees of negative camber in the front without changing the caster. My exact settings are listed below. I have read that 2 degrees negative camber is the ideal setting I just wonder how to get to these settings on a C6 with the Z51 package. I am wondering if other adjustments need to be done or if suspetion upgrades like changing to the Z06 set up or even some aftermarket racing suspetion mods.

Front
Camber -1.1 degrees
Caster 7.0 degrees
Toe 0.04 degrees
SAI 9.8 degrees
Included Angle 8.8 degrees

Rear
Camber -1.3 degrees
Toe .01 degrees
Old 10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

My car is a C5 ZO6, but it's hard to believe that you can get that -1.3 degree camber at the rear but only -1.1 degree at the front. Can you lower the C6 using stock bolts, and have you done that? You typically see people running one degree more negative camber in front than in back.

Also, I would think a little more toe out would help in front with definitely some toe IN in back.

I'd guess with your set up that you'll have an understeering car with a tendency to get loose when you get on the throttle--not good,

And I hasten to add that I have no C6 experience.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to sacrifice caster to gt maximum camber. They also need to be sure they remove all shims from the upper control arms. Another factor is ride height, if the car is riding a little high, it's harder to get large negative camber values. Lowering the front will help that (and other things as well)
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

To get max camber you need to remove all washers from the upper control arms, run the lower control arm cams out to their maximum and sacrifice some caster. On my 97 I was able to get -2.3 camber but caster was around +4 with that setting. One way to get more caster but you will sacrifice camber is to run the lower cams out, remove all washers from the upper control arm rear mount and add washers to the upper control arm front mount. I just had to do this to get -1.3 with 7 degrees of caster on the front of my 03Z. This rotates the upper ball joint backwards thus giving more caster. The Z does not seem to have as much adjustment range as the 97. I suspect each car made is slightly different. I have never been able to get any more than -.7 to -.8 negative camber on either my 97 or my 03Z. To get more than that I probably have to lower the car.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

You can sacrifice a little castor for static camber. Just make sure they keep the castor equal on both sides. I agree on the shims. Most cars I've seen have 2 on each bolt, so remove one or both.

If you are doing a lot of track stuff, I highly recommend hardbars camber kit. You can lock the camber in so that it WILL NOT change. Those stock concentrics usually do fine, but they will eventually move, and sometimes it is hard to keep them in place while you are simply tightening them down.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Additional cairification needed from several posts

I am a little confused. If I lower may car it will allow me to add additional negative camber.

Also if I remove shims that are installed at the factory that will allow for more negative camber. If this is the case where are the shims hard to remove.

What does the hardbar kit do and who sells them?

Does anyone have an ideal setup for a C6. This will give me something to shoot for with my local shop. My current setup is better than the factory setup which is why I am wanting to learn more about the alignment and this is an area I have very little kowledge.

Last edited by vettejockey; 10-24-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just wanted to ask one more time if anyone has more info regarding autocross and track alligments.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

With stock settings I would cord a set of Hossiers in eight to ten sessions.
I now have the front set at -l.5 and the rear at -1. I have not been to the track to see how its going to work but I feel like I have lost some forward bite. I hope this is not correct but if someone here knows I would like to hear what you have to say about this. I have this posted in two places (sorry) but I would really like to know if these settings will cause me to lose forward bite. Makes no difference since I can't keep going through tires like I was. I will get to try it out at MSR Cresson Nov. 11th.

Here is the info I used.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/toom...6alignment.htm

Jerry

Last edited by RedHotBolt; 10-24-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I should really write a song about this. It would go like this, In a hard rock, or blues theme.

"camber is the thing that makes cars stick to the road"
Drums
"too much is bad too"
more drums
"for the street"
now with some back round music
"too little will cause wear, inside edge"
Crazy light show with of course drums
"race tires like more camber"
"street tires don't like a huge amount"
"things you must do to get the camber"
Backround music,
"remove the washers, set your camber"
"then set your toe"
'you should have a little toe in the rear"
"about a 1/8-1/4 inch"
"do want you like in the front"
"and all the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!"
Fireworks, lazers, smoke machines, screaming fans

Don't worry I didn't quit my day job to go on tour.

Randy
Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I should really write a song about this. It would go like this, In a hard rock, or blues theme.

"camber is the thing that makes cars stick to the road"
Drums
"too much is bad too"
more drums
"for the street"
now with some back round music
"too little will cause wear, inside edge"
Crazy light show with of course drums
"race tires like more camber"
"street tires don't like a huge amount"
"things you must do to get the camber"
Backround music,
"remove the washers, set your camber"
"then set your toe"
'you should have a little toe in the rear"
"about a 1/8-1/4 inch"
"do want you like in the front"
"and all the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!"
Fireworks, lazers, smoke machines, screaming fans

Don't worry I didn't quit my day job to go on tour.

Randy

Randy that's good

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for help setting up Autocross and Road Race car to improve cornering

Quick Reply: Looking for help setting up Autocross and Road Race car to improve cornering