Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Brake Line Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:22 AM
mcintex
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default SS Brake Line Installation

Looking for a good installation procedure/instructions to install SS brake lines on my C5. I know that ABS can be a pain. I searched for instructions, but no luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Not that much too it really...just replace the rubber lines with the SS ones. Most of the good SS lines have -AN fittings that go right into the caliper. Make sure everything is good and tight and not binding or twisted; open the bleed screw at the top of the caliper to let the air out of the lines and enjoy the rock-hard pedal feel.

I normally try to start at the RR of the car and work my closer toward the master cylinder, but I don't think it really matters.

If you bought Earl's lines, you may get intermittent ABS codes. The Goodridge lines don't seem to suffer this issue.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed them on my '03 Z last spring. Try not to let the brake fluid drain out of the system while you are doing it (use those little plugs to keep the fluid in the hard lines as much as possible). I installed Goodridge lines and they worked perfectly, no codes. Install all the new lines, and then bleed the system all the way around -- the order is RR, LF, LR, RF. I used the old fashioned 2-person method (one at the wheel opening the bleed valve, the other pumping the brake pedal) and it worked just fine. It's also a good opportunity to change over to a good racing fluid. I put in ATE SuperBlue while I was at it.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
mcintex
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I installed them on my '03 Z last spring. Try not to let the brake fluid drain out of the system while you are doing it (use those little plugs to keep the fluid in the hard lines as much as possible). I installed Goodridge lines and they worked perfectly, no codes. Install all the new lines, and then bleed the system all the way around -- the order is RR, LF, LR, RF. I used the old fashioned 2-person method (one at the wheel opening the bleed valve, the other pumping the brake pedal) and it worked just fine. It's also a good opportunity to change over to a good racing fluid. I put in ATE SuperBlue while I was at it.

Plugs???
Old 10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Bob 33
Racer

I recently installed Earls SS lines and got the intermittent ABS (and AH) codes that Chris mentioned. I heard this to be a problem with earlier Earls lines--it's still around. However, I didn't switch back to the original rubber lines to confirm this diagnosis. I went with Earls because the Goodridge lines I tried to install were supplied with the wrong fittings by Mallet and Earls was the onlyother option on hand. Incidently, getting a refund from Mallet for the Goodridge lines was a challenge involving many emails and calls, even though they knew that there was a problem with the fitting supplied in their kit.

Bob 33
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcintex
Plugs???
With most brake lines that I've bought, they come with small plastic plugs to keep the new lines from being contaminated with dirt or dust during shipment. I take those plugs and use them to plug the hard lines on the car to keep fluid from draining, and sometime put them in the brake line hole in the caliper as well to keep dirt out. I keep a couple of them in my spare parts bin on the workbench just in case I have to crack a brake line open for some reason. My form of "recycling".

Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Stoptech lines come with the rubber plugs as well that fit over the nipple on the hard line. Make sure you orient the lines in the front the same as the factory (kind of a backwards slight S shape) so there is no binding.

Get notified of new replies

To SS Brake Line Installation

Quick Reply: SS Brake Line Installation