Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting DRAFTING article

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default Interesting DRAFTING article

note, DRAFTING, not Drifting UGH!

November Racecar Engineering has a nice wind tunnel analysis of 2 stock-ish cars. While it is fairly easy to understand that the following car gets a nice toe, they lead car gets quite a boost as well, and they put number out there for us to see.

Basically, at 4" apart, the lead car gets a 20% reduction in drag, while the following car gets a 35% reduction in drag. This allows both cars to get away from any other cars running alone, but the following car gets that sweet slingshot effect we love to see in Formula One (I guess NASCAR as well, although I don't watch it).

When you extend the distance to 8", the lead car still gets 15% reduction, and the 2nd car 20%.

What does this mean in real numbers? Well, using a pretty generic bit of data (Cd=.2, frontal area 18ft ft) at 200mph, the 4" draft would give the lead car a 40HP advantage, and the following car a 75HP advantage over the cars running in clean air.

Obviously, most of us don't drive 200mph, but if you ever get the chance, try and get one of your buddies to tag along to boost you mpg!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can try it this weekend thru the kink at CMP Dave!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but I think gas is cheaper than bumpers & fenders even at the high price it was. When I was a 19 two of us were on a 200 cc single cylinder motorcycle tucked in behind a box truck doing about 70 MPH. You could feel the draft but it was a bit suicidal to be 2 feet off the back of the truck. Nice read thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting DRAFTING article

Quick Reply: Interesting DRAFTING article