Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers: what do you use if you have a mid-size suv

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailers: what do you use if you have a mid-size suv

I will be towing my racecar and have a Trailblazer SS with awd.

So I need something south of 6,000 lbs fully loaded to give me some extra margin.

I want enclosed instead of open.

Any good ideas??
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

enclosed light aluminum trailers are light but will lighten you wallet also. I ask a guy at the track about his Aluminum Trailer Co. trailer and it was 28,000 USD
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Do a search on Rennlist. The Porsche guys tow something with a pointy nose with the Cayennes. I think it's Trailex. Being an American car forum I think most of the advice you will find here will have a big diesel attached to it. However, If you are just doing a few events, you might be better off just hiring a transporter. If you are doing more you might just be better off upgrading the whole rig.

I have a Pace 24' Silver Arrow, which is their aluminum model. It was expensive and by the time I was done adding stuff, it wasn't all that light after all. I saved maybe 500 or so pounds going aluminum. I ended up having to help my father trade his truck in for a new 3/4 ton with diesel anyway so I could have him pull it.

Last edited by Blocktrdr; 10-25-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Trailex= big $
in fact all aluminum enclosed trailers are light but big $
Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATC, Trailex and Thule make nice aluminum ones, but for 50-100% more than a steel equivalent. Trailex is by far the lightest (by around 1000#).
Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I know you don't want to hear it... open trailer is the safest bet. Even if you get a lighter enclosed, if you tow it a lot you wear out your tow vehicle a bit quicker.
Just me thinking here.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://aluminum-trailer-company.ebiz...Status=3,2,4,5 Make offer it said Look great.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-25-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

You have to go check each trailer for empty weight. You will be surprised at the differences between manufacturers and models.

You won't get much lighter than this.

http://www.econotrailer.com/CAR.html 1350 lbs for a 15 ft trailer.

Remember, that 6000 lbs is for an empty Trailblazer. You toss in four 200 lb guys and 200 lbs of weekend stuff, and yoru towing limits dropped.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

An enclosed trailer will have a lot more aero drag also, you're better off with open.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Jaymz
Pro

My 28' ATC was 18,000 and it weighs 3150 empty. Add the car, some spares, some tools, some tires, I bet my trailer near 10k right now.

The moral is: don't forget about all of the hidden weight that will go in there. You will be over your head. Your Trailblazer can probably pull 10k but I bet it can't stop it for **** and that is what will get you into trouble.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

FWIW, Trailex's 14-16ft open trailers (the modular ones)weigh around 900-1100lbs, around $6k.

$17k for their enclosed, it weighs around 1900lbs. trailex.com

As mentioned above, an open trailer would be a great combo for he trailblazer. The added wind load of the enclosed can really tax the tow vehicle, and the added weight can really strain brakes, tranny, and stability, as the trailer weight starts to exceed that of the tow vehicle.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
toolman44092
Pro

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
You have to go check each trailer for empty weight. You will be surprised at the differences between manufacturers and models.

You won't get much lighter than this.

http://www.econotrailer.com/CAR.html 1350 lbs for a 15 ft trailer.

Remember, that 6000 lbs is for an empty Trailblazer. You toss in four 200 lb guys and 200 lbs of weekend stuff, and yoru towing limits dropped.
I have the 18' EconoTrailer, which weighs about 1500 LBS. I'm under 5000 LBS fully loaded, and I tow it with my Trailblazer with the straight 6-cylinder.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm towing a 24 ft featherlight aluminum trailer which is 3500 empty, probably 8K by the time its loaded with teh car, tools, brakes, tires, junk, more junk and even more junk.

my 2000 tahoe was rated for 6500 stock, I've done tons of crap to this truck (albeit to much) most notably a 502 510/560 crate motor, 4L80E, 14 bolt from a 2500 (you have this stock in the tb SS) with 4.10's, air bags, weight distributing hitch, police package calipers, oversized drums, hydroboost brakes etc. and honestly......my truck really has to work to get this trailer moving....in hindsight I borrowed a buddy's open trailer and the truck really doesnt' complain too much, but once you have an enclosed....you don't wanna go back.

I'm personally not a pickup fan, I grew up on station wagons and SUV's are the natural replacement.....so all I'm looking at now are SUV's and its either a 2500 suburban or an excursion (I hate fords though)...I don't tow often but I know I'm really stressing my truck doing it.

I talked to my buddies at the speedshop...he said his trailblazer SS wasn't too bad with his 28 ft enclosed (no car) attached to it.....for the heck of it he tried it out in the rare situation the 2500 suburban is in teh shop and he might need to move the trailer around etc. said he was honestly surprised, but wouldn't want to make a long trip with the tb SS and the HUGE trailer. a 20 or 24 might not be so bad.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz
My 28' ATC was 18,000 and it weighs 3150 empty. Add the car, some spares, some tools, some tires, I bet my trailer near 10k right now.

The moral is: don't forget about all of the hidden weight that will go in there. You will be over your head. Your Trailblazer can probably pull 10k but I bet it can't stop it for **** and that is what will get you into trouble.
Can you spell "trailer brakes"?

If he tries to stop with only tow vehicle brakes, he is not only foolish but illegal in most states. Most states require brakes on trailers over 3000 lb GVW. And unlike many trailer manufacturers have you believe, that is brakes on all axles, not just one axle. Also, some use brakes only on the rear axle. That pretty well screws up emergency braking with the break-away system. Some trailers can sit the tongue on the ground and still maintain full weight on the rear axle, but many will lift much of the weight off the rear at that angle.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Yeah I have been debating hard about the trailex (either open or enclosed). The enclosed would weigh only 1,900lbs so even fully loaded I am still under 5,500 lbs.

The open trailers are $10k cheaper at only $7k or so but man having enclosed would be much better in so many way.

That's really my big debate.

I know I should have gotten a f150 or something like that but the TBSS was calling and it's my commuter.

The trailex seems ideal just pricey.

Anyone use one of those?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

According to the GM website, the TrailBlazer SS with AWD has a maximum towing capacity of 6600lbs with 4.10 gears. That is based on the base model and that towing weight is reduced by any cargo, passengers or optional equipment you put on or in the vehicle. The total maximum weight of the vehicle, cargo and loaded trailer can't be over 11,500 lbs according to GM.

Does your TrailBlazer have the trailering package? If not, you will need a good receiver hitch with a 2" tube, a 7-pin wiring connector to include the trailer brake controller wire, as big a tranny cooler as you can fit, and a good electronic brake controller like the Tekshona "Prodigy".

IMHO, I would be looking at a good used 3/4 ton pickup to tow a trailer. With something that size and configured properly, you could tow a 24' enclosed trailer with no problems. There are lots of decent early to mid 90's Chevy's and Fords out there for reasonable prices that will do the job.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Jaymz
Pro

The brakes aren't an issue as all decent enclosed trailers will have electric brakes. The issue is the weight of the trailer that will sway the vehicle left and right when it happens. Its like the old case of the tail wagging the dog. I pull with a diesel Excursion, it's 7400 lbs and it will move a little when I have to get on the brakes hard. In this case I would bet with a lighter vehicle you will have some issues.

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Can you spell "trailer brakes"?

If he tries to stop with only tow vehicle brakes, he is not only foolish but illegal in most states. Most states require brakes on trailers over 3000 lb GVW. And unlike many trailer manufacturers have you believe, that is brakes on all axles, not just one axle. Also, some use brakes only on the rear axle. That pretty well screws up emergency braking with the break-away system. Some trailers can sit the tongue on the ground and still maintain full weight on the rear axle, but many will lift much of the weight off the rear at that angle.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailers: what do you use if you have a mid-size suv

Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
dmwhite
Racer

as others have mentioned, if you're going to be towing with a trailblazer (or anything less than a 3/4 ton pickup/suv for that matter), stick with an open trailer...

that "lightweight" chassis and short wheelbase will just get thrown around by and enclosed trailer and the brakes just arent going to cut it...its really a matter of safety (yours and everyone else on the road)...

start adding up the weight (race car, spare wheels/tires, tools, spares, etc, etc) and i'd bet you'll have that trailblazer maxed out in no time...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

It seems like an open trailer is in order I agree.

Now the trailex is pricer then a featherlight or ATC from trailerworld but it is shorter and could actually fit in my garage even.

Anyone run one of these?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

I had an open trailex several years ago. Built very well, and even though it was 3 years old when I got it, it looked brand new. The modular construction makes it easy to move tie downs and such around. Not sure how well they will load a low car like a C5. They have long ramps, but not sure of door/fender clearance. If the fitment works, they are good sound trailers.

I ended up with a Texas Rollback for the C5 for the last few years - easy loading, but it added 1000lbs to the payload. 1800lbs empty!

Quick Reply: Trailers: what do you use if you have a mid-size suv