Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat cycle of tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Heat cycle of tires

A very good friend of mine (who will see this post) was goin on and on about the heat cycle of tires.

I believe him but have doubts.

Heres why: I am going to run my car at Spring Mountai in Nevada, it is a z51 with the OEM super car EMT. Based upon our conversation, I am a little apoplectic about the tires gettin a little "greasy:

We are running 25 minute intervals in each class, 5 class's. Thats 25 minute every 2.25 hours, maybe.

What is your experience with your tires in these type of events? This is not really racing, per se, but two days of improvement of driving skills with your own car.

Input?

Thoughts/opinions????
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apoplectic? Wow, I had to look that one up.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a non issue with your tires in a driving school situation. Depending on how hard you drive it, there may be some drop off in performance, but I doubt you will notice it between sessions. All tires change their characteristic feel as their temperature changes, big deal. I have fear of apoplexy from my wife constantly ranting about my Corvette in an unfavorable manner though. Do you really have that license plate? That is funny.

Last edited by Sidney004; 10-27-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Don't worry, you are not going to run those tires outside of their performance parameters your first weekend out.

If you do, you can use one of my extra sets of wheels and tires. I have more than I can use....
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
A very good friend of mine (who will see this post) was goin on and on about the heat cycle of tires.

Heres why: I am going to run my car at Spring Mountai in Nevada, it is a z51 with the OEM super car EMT. Based upon our conversation, I am a little apoplectic about the tires gettin a little "greasy:

We are running 25 minute intervals in each class, 5 class's. Thats 25 minute every 2.25 hours, maybe.

What is your experience with your tires in these type of events? This is not really racing, per se, but two days of improvement of driving skills with your own car.

Input?

Thoughts/opinions????
All school Corvette coupes at SM run stock runflats--there will not be a problem
Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am note sure the tires at the school are run flats. I think they are the stock z06 SuperCar tires, but nonetheless I don't predict any problems with stock run flats for most drivers.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI

Input?

Thoughts/opinions????
As with the others, good experience for first time...the left front gets hammered on that track and if you don't have a camber adjustment, the tires will be junk afterward the event...rotate lft front to right front and vice versa after first day regulate tire pressures(I'll let you use my laser pyrometer so you can see the temperature differences)and you will get a bit more life for the event...see ya there---Ed
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I've always found that race tires do just fine running them hard, right out of the box. SOME tires come with some mold-release still on them, and you may need to burn that off for a lap or two, but I've NEVER had a set of tires better after a heat cycle, always the best when they get hot the first time.

Similarly, while I hear lots of stories, wear seems fine with our without scrubbing in.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am note sure the tires at the school are run flats. I think they are the stock z06 SuperCar tires, but nonetheless I don't predict any problems with stock run flats for most drivers.

All coupes run on stock Z-51 GY runflats--only the two C5 Z06's run non EMT tires.C6 Z's all run the GY supeercar runflats.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

Thanks Oli. Saw your car at Seans today. Had the boys put back on the metallic pads and check everything over for Pahrump.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Get notified of new replies

To Heat cycle of tires

Quick Reply: Heat cycle of tires