Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM HPDE at CMP followup thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default NCM HPDE at CMP followup thread.....

I just got back a little while ago.

I had a great time, and I've never seen so many C6Z's, they were everywhere!

Tom, Roc, Adam, the whole NCM staff, and factory personnel did another magnificent job putting it all together.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear it went well...I wish I could have been there, but I just got the car back late yesterday!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Sounds like a ton of fun. Didn't know about it until it had already sold out. I'm signed up for the NCM newsletter so maybe I'll be quick enough next year...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I had a blast. I also had the "Mayor" of BPK as my instructor. Learned alot. Probably more than I wanted to as a matter of fact His gramma's chapstick was definately more than anyone needs to know New tires, new brake pads, and a trailer hitch in both seats and we're ready to go again. Can't thank ya enough for the tutilage. I will put it to good use. Now if I could just find my bottle opener.

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Hehehehe...........the BPK cooler
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It turned out to be great weather in spite of the horrible ride on Friday. It took awhile for the track to warm up on Saturday but on Sunday it was good quite a bit earlier since it was already dry for a whole day and we had a one hour advantage the next day. Saturday required guys like Falcon to go out there first and scrub off some fresh rubber on it. Thanks again for the ride! It helped me get up to par on the track real quick so I could actually teach my students something.

I experienced a couple of "firsts". My first student was very green but he genuinely seemed to be having a good time. I recommended he go only as fast as he was comfortable but it's hard to get him on line at low speeds, so I pressed him just a little bit. The second session, he was doing quite well and every time he successfully completed a new maneuver, he would laugh with glee. Then I took him for a ride. :o . He went home after that. . Tom reported that he thought it was all just too fast and scary for him.

My other student did quite well and progressed admirably. But it was hard because he was running a C5 with the A4. He finally got the hang of it pretty well.

My other "First" was when I gave a ride to another very nice guy who hadn't been out before. He hurled in his helmet! I pulled off the track and let him out. Fortunately he only made a mess on himself. I'm glad it was a full face helmet.

The weather turned out great, I had a great time and I met quite a few new people. It's hard to know which ones are which here on the forum unless I specifically asked. I guess I'll eventually learn that.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Saturday required guys like Falcon to go out there first and scrub off some fresh rubber on it. Thanks again for the ride! It helped me get up to par on the track real quick so I could actually teach my students something.
Glad to help you out, Rob!

I met another gaggle of great people during this event. It's always nice to put faces with forum handles.

Having Bob "Kanmer" as a student was a real treat. To find someone who has the same sense of humor as me was a big benefit. Not only did we laught a lot, but Bob got fast real quick, and by the end of the weekend he didn't need me in the car except to be a cheerleader.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jody and everyone,

It was great to see you all again for the first time in a while. It was a nice relaxing weekend for me and I had 2 really proficient students who I was able to step up to another level in just 2 days. It was nice just jumping in the car and driving some leisurely laps, I just wonder why nobody seemed to want to jump in with me. Frank G. and my student Bill were the only ones, and they had a great time. Next time the seat is open for anyone that wants to see what the lines are at speed!

Tom, Roc and everyone that had a part in making this happen deserve a thanks, I feel that with these cars coming from the factory with the level of capability they acheive truly requires us to do this for Corvette owners who have never driven them in a controlled environment. Learning on the track translates to safer on the street. I know I made a difference in 2 students levels, they were better worn out on Sunday than fresh on Saturday. That speaks volumes! Cheers!

Joe Gaudette
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep, I'll echo those sentiments too!!!!! It was great to meet the people and finally associate their screen names with a face!!! The NCM guys did a great job and I'm glad it went off without a hitch!!

I was amazed at how many new Z06s were there!!!! My novice student Mark Gardner did really, really well in that car and picked up the track very quickly.

Once Tracey (TrayC6) got her brakes figured out, she started ripping off some good laps too.

I hope you guys had a good time!!!!!

See everybody next year I hope!!!!!!

OBTW, here is a look at the data from my Sunday morning run:
Best lap time: 1:44.9
Top Speed: 129 mph (just before the kink)
Highest rpm: 6970 (just before turn 4)
Lowest speed: 37 mph (into turn 14)
Lowest rpm: 2500

Although 2500 is normally lower than I like to go, I don't think you gain anything by going to 2d gear there (with the Z06 gearbox). I've found that the little time you gain by dropping to 2d gets lost on the shift and you'll most likely spin the rear tires coming off the corner anyway. It's best to just let the torque do the work.

Last edited by wtknght1; 10-30-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk

I experienced a couple of "firsts". My first student was very green but he genuinely seemed to be having a good time. I recommended he go only as fast as he was comfortable but it's hard to get him on line at low speeds, so I pressed him just a little bit. The second session, he was doing quite well and every time he successfully completed a new maneuver, he would laugh with glee. Then I took him for a ride. :o . He went home after that. . Tom reported that he thought it was all just too fast and scary for him.

My other "First" was when I gave a ride to another very nice guy who hadn't been out before. He hurled in his helmet! I pulled off the track and let him out. Fortunately he only made a mess on himself. I'm glad it was a full face helmet.
Hey that is pretty funny! Taking out students can be very helpful as far as shortening the learning curve. It can also scare them, so I try to start out slow and ask see how they are reacting as I bring things up to speed. I also limit it to a few laps. I think riding helped my student a lot this weekend. People that have never done this before have no idea about the potential of these cars.

As for they guy that left, this hobby is not for everyone. He still could have learned something staying, but at least he realizes his limitations.

Tim
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Yep, I'll echo those sentiments too!!!!! It was great to meet the people and finally associate their screen names with a face!!! The NCM guys did a great job and I'm glad it went off without a hitch!!

I was amazed at how many new Z06s were there!!!! My novice student Mark Gardner did really, really well in that car and picked up the track very quickly.

Once Tracey (Tra C6) got her brakes figured out, she started ripping off some good laps too.

I hope you guys had a good time!!!!!

See everybody next year I hope!!!!!!

OBTW, here is a look at the data from my Sunday morning run:
Best lap time: 1:44.9
Top Speed: 129 mph (just before the kink)
Highest rpm: 6970 (just before turn 4)
Lowest speed: 37 mph (into turn 14)
Lowest rpm: 2500

Although 2500 is normally lower than I like to go, I don't think you gain anything by going to 2d gear there (with the Z06 gearbox). I've found that the little time you gain by dropping to 2d gets lost on the shift and you'll most likely spin the rear tires coming off the corner anyway. It's best to just let the torque do the work.
Good info Chris. I was hitting the rev limiter on my stock engine at around the 3 marker before 4. My fastest speed was going into 8, somewhere around 125. My max speed through the kink this time was only 115, I brought it up a bit more, but had to track out into the grass, so I slowed it down a bit after that. I was running out there at the same time. Chris was timing and you picked up 30 seconds on me over 5 laps!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz06
Hey that is pretty funny! Taking out students can be very helpful as far as shortening the learning curve. It can also scare them, so I try to start out slow and ask see how they are reacting as I bring things up to speed. I also limit it to a few laps. I think riding helped my student a lot this weekend. People that have never done this before have no idea about the potential of these cars.

As for they guy that left, this hobby is not for everyone. He still could have learned something staying, but at least he realizes his limitations.

Tim
I think I'll take your advice on that next time. Just a few laps will get them familiar with what it's all about. Then you can pull off and pick up your other student for the same session.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Corvette55
Instructor

Default My green student got a little green too

I took my green student out too. I did a slow warm up lap and a moderate lap just to point out the line and some of the finer points I was trying to teach him. About half way through the third lap he was giving me the pit in signal. I knew what that met. Fortunately he did not have a big breakfast and didn't get sick...

I have never had that problem if I make them drink some water before getting in the car. My car is hot in the summer but I didn't think it would be a problem Saturday.

My student stayed and had a good time overall. The ride really did help him to see what we were trying to do.

He was a little embarrassed but I told him some stories of other riders and he felt better.

PSA: DON'T TAKE FIRST TIME RIDERS ON TRACK IN THE FIRST SESSION AFTER LUNCH
Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Tim
Tim, You've got the right idea to think first of your student and realize how much you impact their experience. It goes the same for flight instructing.

I would be concerned of my ability to instruct if in one day I lost a student and caused another to loose his "cookies". That is not something I would be proud of doing.

An instructor must always keep his "let me show you what I can do" macho approach in check especially in the case of a "newbie". I'm sure the NCM wants return clients for their HPDE's.

Keep up the good work on thinking about the student first.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
Glad to help you out, Rob!

I met another gaggle of great people during this event. It's always nice to put faces with forum handles.

Having Bob "Kanmer" as a student was a real treat. To find someone who has the same sense of humor as me was a big benefit. Not only did we laught a lot, but Bob got fast real quick, and by the end of the weekend he didn't need me in the car except to be a cheerleader.
Is that what that was? Cheerleading? I was wondering what you were listening to on your communicator. Wondering if you dialed that thing into one of them there adult channels . Sense of humor? Hmm...I think more like lack of sense but thats just me. I still think a newspaper is in order. Get in touch with me if you ever want to drink real beer. Not that stuff you call "imported" just because it comes from another county. T shirts....do not forget!!!!

In mostly serious terms, you made this event a big pleasure for me. Thank you again.

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
Tim, You've got the right idea to think first of your student and realize how much you impact their experience. It goes the same for flight instructing.

I would be concerned of my ability to instruct if in one day I lost a student and caused another to loose his "cookies". That is not something I would be proud of doing.

An instructor must always keep his "let me show you what I can do" macho approach in check especially in the case of a "newbie". I'm sure the NCM wants return clients for their HPDE's.

Keep up the good work on thinking about the student first.
Although I agree that NCM wants return clients, as we all do, my approach for instructing is FAR from macho. Take a look around the track and see how many modded cars there are vs. the bone stock C5 coupe that I drive. Nothing macho in that. With the possible exception of a few brand new C6's, I was probably the only car out there with a showroom setup.

Having said that, I'd like to point out an example that I discussed with another instructor. The term "hard braking" is a relative one. And to some greenies, that might not be much more than what you do when you catch a yellow light and can't decide on whether to accelerate or make the stop. If you don't show your student what the car is capable of, they may not understand "your" meaning of the term. That's why a real track ride in a bone stock C5 on street tires shouldn't be an issue. They know their own limits, if they can't handle that, they should do what makes them comfortable. If that means going home, that's what's best. Some people are cut out for it and some people are not. That's a fact of life.

Disney and Six Flags amusement parks want repeat customers too but they still encourage them all to go on the biggest, baddest, rollercoasters. There's no "beginner slow ride" of each rollercoaster to test to see if you like it or not. You do it, and if you don't like it, you go home.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Jody and everyone,

It was great to see you all again for the first time in a while. It was a nice relaxing weekend for me and I had 2 really proficient students who I was able to step up to another level in just 2 days. It was nice just jumping in the car and driving some leisurely laps, I just wonder why nobody seemed to want to jump in with me. Frank G. and my student Bill were the only ones, and they had a great time. Next time the seat is open for anyone that wants to see what the lines are at speed!

Tom, Roc and everyone that had a part in making this happen deserve a thanks, I feel that with these cars coming from the factory with the level of capability they acheive truly requires us to do this for Corvette owners who have never driven them in a controlled environment. Learning on the track translates to safer on the street. I know I made a difference in 2 students levels, they were better worn out on Sunday than fresh on Saturday. That speaks volumes! Cheers!

Joe Gaudette
First Off,
This was my 1st NCM event and what a great job everyone did putting it together.
Down to the minute on all sessions etc.
Thank you to the entire team

Secondly,
Thanks to Joe Gaudette for a great two days.
I learned more in 2 days than all other events combined.
I have had two very good instructors in the past, Harry and Fred but did not get to spend the time with them like this event.

I only wish I could get past the "go fast" syndrome and just learn slow in, slow in, slow in.
When I did it like Joe told me, it worked great. When I didn't, it didn't.

I would have to say my favorite part of the track is the kink.
You can get some obscenly fast and safe speeds there. That is the one I did get correct more than a few times.

Again,
Thanks to the team putting this together, Joe and all the other great guys I met.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM HPDE at CMP followup thread.....

Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Not sure who this was,
I just happen to get this shot as they came around 14.
End result is they got it back and showed some great driving.
Brought it back around and kept going.

He had to be staring them gators head on

I asked around to see who it was but couldn't find em.

If you know who this was, thought they might like to have the pic.

I thought it my be a Dayton Orange Z06 but now looking at the pic close up, that is not the case.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Hey guys... had a great time myself... loved spending time with all you all as usual....

Thanks again to Roc, Tom, Adam, the GM folks, track workers, and all the instructors.. the event was well thought out and put together... I know that its alot of work...

I hated I had to leave early Sun...felt good running my first session Sun morning... didnt realize I had "melted metal pads left" in my last session on Sat afternoon.. Chris was right.... after I got those fixed I was able to do better out there....what a difference good brakes make.... I think next time I will be investing in some Carbotechs ... I learned several things from Chris my instructor...he is very talented... especially key points like opening the wheel more and tracking out... and staying on the throttle in the kink... your mind just doesnt want to go there.... Still got work to do on the heel/toe downshifts.. getting those right... if anyone knows where to get a good throttle plate it email me... My feet are small when creates issues when downshifting.... Im learning from ea event so this is a good thing....its a great hobby... and very addictive... next time I WONT be leaving early... dang work...

I also want to thank Short Throw, Roc and the GM folks for changing my brake pads out Sun morning... without their help I wouldnt of gotten to run at all.... its hard for me to physically do everything and they all jumped in to help!!! Was very nice of you all THANKS GUYS!!!! I owe ya one.... it really changed my demeanor when the car was right...

and yeah... ya gotta love Jody's chapstick !!! BIG grin!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Good info Chris. I was hitting the rev limiter on my stock engine at around the 3 marker before 4. My fastest speed was going into 8, somewhere around 125. My max speed through the kink this time was only 115, I brought it up a bit more, but had to track out into the grass, so I slowed it down a bit after that. I was running out there at the same time. Chris was timing and you picked up 30 seconds on me over 5 laps!
That means you're running in the low to mid 1:50s there...which is really quick!! The secret to CMP is consistency - not just one flying lap. It's easy to get in the 'dirt-tracking' mode out there, but you'll just burn up your rear tires and your lap times will go to hell in a hand basket. The National races are 21 laps (I think) and the last 5 are normally very, very dicey to say the least. It's a tough track to race on.

Quick Reply: NCM HPDE at CMP followup thread.....