Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Track car airbag removal

I'm prepping a 96 Vette for track use, and I'm replacing the steering wheel and removing the airbag. The car will have a race seat with 6 pt harness, and will not see ANY street use. Obviously, I don't want the airbag light on all the time. I would assume a resistor in place of the airbag would keep the light off.

Anyone know what size resistor I would need? I could use a multi-meter to measure the resistance of the bag after I take it off, but that would send a very small current thru the bag, and I REALLY don't want to set it off in my face.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Xtreme5053
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not? Exploding airbags is FUUUUNNNN!!!!

(Sup Chad)
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme5053
Why not? Exploding airbags is FUUUUNNNN!!!!

(Sup Chad)
How's it going Chris? Have you ever had an airbag explode in your face (been there, done that )
Old 10-30-2006, 12:05 AM
stickystuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive done some research and i am also about to remove my wheel with a sparco wheel. most have said to pull the air bag fuse and disconnect the attery for an hour 2. at this point the air bag will be totally dead.

there is a post out there about tricking the air bag light. dont remeber the facts.

keep us updated.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Be careful with that ignitor!

Resistance of the driver should be approximately 2.5 to 3.0 Ohms (there is a clock spring in the column on the driver side).

Passenger should be about 2.0 Ohms.

In general, the tolerances are fairly broad due to wiring variances. The last vehicle I did had a range of 1.5 - 6.0 Ohm for the driver, 1.5 - 4.5 Ohm passenger. You should really be fine anywhere in that range.

I can't remember when we started using dual stage bags in Corvettes, but you might have to put a resistor on each stage. I think 1996 predates that, though.

FYI firing current on a bag is usually 1.2 Amp for 2 milliseconds.

Newer cars are going to 2 amp for 0.5 ms.

Get notified of new replies

To Track car airbag removal

Quick Reply: Track car airbag removal