Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 magnesiums on a 96 CE for autoX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Conemasher
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 magnesiums on a 96 CE for autoX?

So, what I'm really looking for is suggestions for a wheel/tire combo suggestions for my 1996 Collectors Edition LT4 for autoX in A-Stock.

I was thinking about some aftermarket 17x11" wheels and v710s in about a 315 size.
But, then a guy in my local club offered me a set of 17x8.5" magnesium Corvette rims off a C5, for $100.

1> Will these magnesium rims fit a c4?
2> What size tire can I put on them to be competitive in A-Stock?
3> Would I be better off spending the money on a set of 17x11"?

Other things im considering is upgrading to a Grand Sport size rear sway bar. Is it going to make a difference?

Any other tips for being competitive in A-Stock? I allready raced it twice and had some decent competition in a Evo on hoosiers and an S2000, which I actually beat both, by about a half second. (on street tires)

Finally, for AutoX, Suspension set to tour or perf and why?

Eyecandy! BTW, I turn the lights on when racing to give me a better reference of the front of the car. its just so LONG!

Last edited by Conemasher; 10-30-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

First and foremost, download the SCCA rule book from the club web site.

Then read it carefully and see what prep allowances you have.

Most of what you are talking about doing is not leagal in stock. The 8.5 inch rims, if they are same width and within a 1/4 of an inch in offset as your OE wheels are legal in the front, but your car had 9.5 inch rims in the back, and you will need to match that to stay legal. The 17X11's aren't legal at all for your car. If your car had 9.5 inch rims all around, then you can only use 9.5 inch rims all around. I am not up to speed on what wheel package came on CE-96 model, but you can't change rim sizes from what you start with

Unless you make your car into a grand sport, you can't use the GS rear bar or wheels. That does not include trim items or paintwork, but any other options (such as the rear fender flares) would have to be on the car, along with any items that were part of the GS package, like the electric seats, climate control ect, if it was part of the pacakge it has to be on the car......

Basically in stock the only allowances are front sway bar, shocks, and 1/4 inch of additional offset in the wheels. You cannot "pick and choose" parts from other years. You cannot swap parts from models within your model year unless you install ALL of the options that came with that package.

Look at the rules first and then decide what you want to do. Most of the hot shoes in C4's are using C5 Z06 front wheels all around since they have the same offset and width as the later C4 Z07 cars...
Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I think you will find the C5 mag wheels are 8 inches not 8.5. The mags were half inch narrower than the regular C5 wheels. They would be a detriment from a wheel size standpoint. Even though they may weigh less I think they wouldn't work as well as your stock size wheels.

Bill
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,404 Likes on 751 Posts

ZR-1 size wheels were used in '96 LT4 models, so I think the sizes suggested are correct for his class (unless the question involves putting 17x11s up front )

OTOH, I thought the only difference between the '96 CE LT4s and the GS models was cosmetic, so I don't understand the comment about the GS rear sway bar.

As far as the magnesium wheels go, if they're in good shape and he really wants to sell them to you for $100, grab 'em and sell 'em for a profit!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
ZR-1 size wheels were used in '96 LT4 models, so I think the sizes suggested are correct for his class (unless the question involves putting 17x11s up front )

OTOH, I thought the only difference between the '96 CE LT4s and the GS models was cosmetic, so I don't understand the comment about the GS rear sway bar.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Nope. GS coupes were only 96 cars to have 17x11 rears.

All GS cars had LT4 engine as well as all 6-speed cars that year. The LT4 throttle body plate was engraved with "Grand Sport" on all cars leading some people to believe that their car was somehow a GS.

The Z-51 (springs, shocks and anti-swaybars) suspension on some GS cars was available on all coupes in 1996.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
As far as the magnesium wheels go, if they're in good shape and he really wants to sell them to you for $100, grab 'em and sell 'em for a profit!
Darn right! I'd buy them off you. Too small for racing, but they'd make a great set of spare street wheels. And by the way, if they're the standard mag front wheels (17X8.5) they will fit a late C4 (88 or 89 and later). They're the same offset as standard late C4 wheels. The 18" C5 wheels sit closer in towards the car, but they would still fit too.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 magnesiums on a 96 CE for autoX?

Quick Reply: C5 magnesiums on a 96 CE for autoX?