Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for track wheel and tire help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for track wheel and tire help

I run r compounds at the track on Very heavy copies of the C5 Z06 wheels. I run 18's all the way around with 305/30/18's. These wheels are really heavy and although I am not racing Bobby Archer told me the difference in what I'm running and a lighter wheel would be really big (unsprung weight). I need to know what wheels from earlier Vettes would work better (lighter). I assume I would have to purchase two sets or rear C5's to get four 18" wheels? I don't want to spent a fortune to run five or six weekend events per year.

Also I have never run the new Hoosiers (A6 I think they are). I usually run the Grand Am Cup scuffs or RS04's. I'm thinking of getting a new set this time since I set my camber as far negitive as I dare on a every day driver. I was going through a set of scuffs in a weekend! Only cording the outsides of the outside tires (right sides going CCW and left sides when running a track CW). My son runs Toyo RA1 scuffs on his Mustang and gets several weekends out of a set. I know they are not as fast as the Hoosiers but again I'm not racing.

Ideas for wheels and thoughts on Toyo's or something besides the Hoosiers?

Jerry
Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM Z06 rears are within 1-2lbs of the light 3pc wheels on the market. 20-21lbs is what I have weighed them at. Probably 5 lbs lighter than what you have. You will actually feel the difference in accelerating and braking the most. To be honest, if you are not racing competitively, it's not worth the upgrade expense.

Quick Reply: Looking for track wheel and tire help