Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooling?

I was told by a person involved in GM testing of the C5 Z06 that he would be more concerned with trans/diff than engine oil overheating. The only overheating warnings that I have received with my 03 Z06 on RA-1s (mostly at WG) have been for the transmisson. My recently installed Dewitt rad/oc unit keeps my oil below 270 on the track. How concerned should I be with tranny cooling? The T-1 tranny cooler seems like a rather pricey and challenging installation. Is it worth it for only 6-8 track weekends per year?

Bob 33
Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
gpm30236
Racer

My tranny in the 01 Z06 went out last year at Rd ATL , it had 77K miles on it and about 40 track days. only had 3rd and reverse .
Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Bob 33
Racer

I required a tranny rebuild after about 40 track days and 40k miles. But did high temps play any role in my synchro failure, and should tranny cooling be a priority for those of us who regularly track our cars?

Bob 33
Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The cooling is supposed to help the plastic parts in the tranny. The GM cooler isn't too bad of a deal to install. The instructions are clear and all you need to do is get the car up in the air so you can work comfortably getting the fittings into the tranny drain and fill holes. The pump mounts behind the right rear inside wheel well liner. There are 8 small screws to take out to remove the liner. The hoses and wiring push forward through the rocker panel with the wiring going up to the battery and underhood electrical center and the hoses going up in front of the radiator. The unit is pricey but the expensive thing in it is the pump. The heat exchanger is a Fluidyne unit. I've had mine since 2000 and its been in 2 cars. The cooler is controlled by a thermostat that is mounted to the tranny case.

Bill
Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Rollin Black
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello Bob.

If you decide to go with a tranny cooler and are not limited to a GM cooler, I suggest you take a look at the DRM coolers.

I went with DRM tranny and differential coolers.

http://www.dougrippie.com/

Thanks, Perry

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny cooling?

Quick Reply: Tranny cooling?