Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Titanium X-Pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium X-Pipe...

My welder came by tonight and showed me the welds on some scrap Grade2 pipe I gave him..call it an "interview". They were perfect. I'm going to have him splice bypass pipes on my factory Z06 exhaust.

Being the OCD type, I'm wondering how much weight I can save by having him fab up an x-pipe from the cats to the cat-back. I'll probably ditch the cats at that point, too. This brings me to my question...

How much does a stainless-steel x-pipe weigh?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-04-2006, 01:09 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
My welder came by tonight and showed me the welds on some scrap Grade2 pipe I gave him..call it an "interview". They were perfect. I'm going to have him splice bypass pipes on my factory Z06 exhaust.

Being the OCD type, I'm wondering how much weight I can save by having him fab up an x-pipe from the cats to the cat-back. I'll probably ditch the cats at that point, too. This brings me to my question...

How much does a stainless-steel x-pipe weigh?

Thanks,
Tom
I dont know but, I bet there is alot of money to be made if someone would make a full titanium exhaust system from the headers back for the C6.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:45 AM
ace996
Pro

Lightweight and near-zero corrosion makes Ti a good material, but it is expensive. I just wonder if it's worth the expense for the weight reduction.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:00 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lightweight and near-zero corrosion makes Ti a good material, but it is expensive. I just wonder if it's worth the expense for the weight reduction.

omly if you were racing pro like LG
Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The guys in T1 who tried the Ti exhaust weren't generally happy with it. It seems that the expansion rates between Ti and Stainless aren't the same so the guys were having the Ti pipes actually move enough under the body to touch the undertray and in some cases, catch it on fire. Joe G (Sleeper) had this issue at Memphis and othe places and he switched back to a full SS system to avoid the issues.

Personally, I don't think the weight savings are worth it, especially considering the weight is way down low anyway. Just my $.02.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Chris,
Can you chime in concerning the benefits of the Phoenix 3" X-pipe and exhsuast from the cats back, considering both performance and the cool sound. Are there benefits without messing with the headers?

Bob 33
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Phoenix's exhaust is really well done - mandrel bends and the correct routing to avoid contact with anything. Their exhaust has an X-pipe behind the cats which does help with performance. I recommend removing the Ti mufflers and just run straight pipes back - T1 setup. The cats do an excellent job of noise muffling and the exhaust note will have a much throatier sound...and it will be louder. Generally speaking, their exhaust set up will gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10HP or so.

The real gains come from the computer tuning matched with the exhaust mods though. Whether you run 100 octane or 93, they can tune your engine to get the max power from it...without worrying about any damage to the engine.

And I've said this before many times, but if you have a Vette and track it and haven't taken your car to the Phoenix guys to set up the ride height, cornerweight, computer and exhaust tuning, etc. - you have just flat missed the boat. Just those things I mentioned will get you 2 seconds per lap without even thinking about it. And, you don't have to crack open your driveline to get it. So you get consisent, reliable, worry-free performance which equates to lots and lots of seat time...instead of working on the car! Priceless!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cats and the mufflers are where much of the weight is...especially the cats. Also, those stock manifolds are pretty darn heavy. If you remove the cats, mufflers, and manifolds, you are reducing your weight significantly for a cheaper than replacing with Ti and probably similar or better results.

The only downside is that your car will be SUPER loud.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Phoenix's exhaust is really well done - mandrel bends and the correct routing to avoid contact with anything. Their exhaust has an X-pipe behind the cats which does help with performance. I recommend removing the Ti mufflers and just run straight pipes back - T1 setup. The cats do an excellent job of noise muffling and the exhaust note will have a much throatier sound...and it will be louder. Generally speaking, their exhaust set up will gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10HP or so.

The real gains come from the computer tuning matched with the exhaust mods though. Whether you run 100 octane or 93, they can tune your engine to get the max power from it...without worrying about any damage to the engine.

And I've said this before many times, but if you have a Vette and track it and haven't taken your car to the Phoenix guys to set up the ride height, cornerweight, computer and exhaust tuning, etc. - you have just flat missed the boat. Just those things I mentioned will get you 2 seconds per lap without even thinking about it. And, you don't have to crack open your driveline to get it. So you get consisent, reliable, worry-free performance which equates to lots and lots of seat time...instead of working on the car! Priceless!

Is the LG exhaust legal in the T1 class?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You can do pretty much anything from the cats back - no headers or any mods in front of the cats. There is a proposal for removal of the cats for next year too...but you still wouldn't be able to alter the stock components in front of that.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You can do pretty much anything from the cats back - no headers or any mods in front of the cats. There is a proposal for removal of the cats for next year too...but you still wouldn't be able to alter the stock components in front of that.
Is one allowed to ExtrudeHone the stock cats?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

No, must be stock.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is one allowed to ExtrudeHone the stock cats?
ExtrudeHone the cats?

That's a good one!

Translation...(take a screw driver and bang out the mesh).
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
ExtrudeHone the cats?

That's a good one!

I took a one inch auger bit and drilled holes through cats innerds once upon a time.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
ExtrudeHone the cats?

That's a good one!

...I meant the manifolds, but the cats would be good too.

Get notified of new replies

To Titanium X-Pipe...

Quick Reply: Titanium X-Pipe...