Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for fender flares for mid year

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:41 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for fender flares for mid year

I am looking for flared fenders for my 63 Corvette. I want to autocross this car in the BP class. I prefer the flares that look like the stock fenders without the big bulge. I have been quoted a price of $2000 per fender and that is uninstalled. I can't believe that is a realistic price considering you can buy a complete front clip for $3K to $4K. Does anyone know of an outfit that sells what i am looking for? I am planning to glass them on myself.
MikeB
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBenzon
I am looking for flared fenders for my 63 Corvette. I want to autocross this car in the BP class. I prefer the flares that look like the stock fenders without the big bulge. I have been quoted a price of $2000 per fender and that is uninstalled. I can't believe that is a realistic price considering you can buy a complete front clip for $3K to $4K. Does anyone know of an outfit that sells what i am looking for? I am planning to glass them on myself.
MikeB
I know the ones you are talking about - I had them on my big block 67 - ran 15x8 rallies (or equivalent) with 275/60-15 on rear and 235/70-15 on front. Mine were done in the '70s but I believe you can still get them from Ecklers, Mid America or ZIP.....

$2000 per fender they are dreaming in technicolor....
Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Shemershiems (sp??) Evansville, Ind. They do aftermarket flares for C2's and C3's. My front C3's flares came from them..............
Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Obviously look at the Ecklers, American Custom Industries, etc. A few that I know have the parts are:

www.showcars-bodyparts.com/corvette.html they have a very wide variety of body parts and stock numerous body "kits" for 63's.

www.tracyvette.com/index.html they always have some of everything and often a good deal on items.

Good luck, David
Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

You want to check with our Canadian friend, 67Heaven (do a search). He has installed incredible stock looking flares on his 67 427, and I'm sure will direct you to his supplier. Let us know.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but there is a rumor that BP has been deleted as a class. The SEB has sent a recomendation to the BOD to get rid of BP due to low participation.

Might want to wait for the official ruling on that before doing anything with your car.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
You want to check with our Canadian friend, 67Heaven (do a search). He has installed incredible stock looking flares on his 67 427, and I'm sure will direct you to his supplier. Let us know.

his supplier is Gary Steffens at Corvette City in Denver....303-762-8288

...redvetracr
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

<<his supplier is Gary Steffens at Corvette City in Denver....303-762-8288>>

The phone number is 303-762-8388.

Thanks for the info. I had a nice chat with Gary and I will probably buy his unless I can find some with the 63 cowl vents. His only come with the 66? and 67.

MikeB
Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

Mojave
What sanctioning body are you referring to? SCCA?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mojave
What sanctioning body are you referring to? SCCA?
He is referring to SCCA Solo.....The SEB is the solo events board, probably recommending discontinuing BP due to low national participation. There will be other places to run the car within SCCA solo although it may not be quite as lucritive. However, I wouldn't worry, you live in California, were they have the AAS -American Autocross Series that was founded by a bunch of "old-school" Corvette guys, and they still and I am sure always will run old Corvettes. Not only that, but from what I understand they run a bunch of fast, horsepower dependant courses . I wish we could only be as lucky to have such a thing he in Ohio.

Good Luck and continue on...............
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

Very true. We have the American Autocross Series and the WSCC events. I cut my racing teeth in the WSCC events in the early 70's. Their events almost died off, but I was just looking at last year's calendar and they held 12 or 13 events. Looking at their pictures, it seems like BP is their biggest class.
I am especially interested in AAS's B Street Prepared Vintage class and that is where I intend to run.
I would like to hear from anyone that races with AAS that might have any news about changes for next year.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
He is referring to SCCA Solo.....The SEB is the solo events board, probably recommending discontinuing BP due to low national participation. There will be other places to run the car within SCCA solo although it may not be quite as lucritive. However, I wouldn't worry, you live in California, were they have the AAS -American Autocross Series that was founded by a bunch of "old-school" Corvette guys, and they still and I am sure always will run old Corvettes. Not only that, but from what I understand they run a bunch of fast, horsepower dependant courses . I wish we could only be as lucky to have such a thing he in Ohio.

Good Luck and continue on...............
Ah, yeah, he is right. I was talking about the SCCA (pretty much the biggest game here in Texas, for serious, national level competition anyway). I just didn't want someone to dump a ton of money into their car and show up next year and find that BP is gone (although XP and EM are other decent choices, depending on your car).
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Mike you have a nice looking 63. Why don't you leave the fenders alone and join us in real vintage racing instead? Call Chris Vandergrift at HMSA. We'd love to have ya.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

<<Why don't you leave the fenders alone and join us in real vintage racing instead?>>

I actually started the rebuild with vintage roadracing in mind. I just don't think I care to take on the work required to maintain this car as a roadracer. Roadracing puts a lot of wear and tear on these old cars. It only lacks a few items to roadrace it now.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
MikeBenzon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Mike you have a nice looking 63. Why don't you leave the fenders alone and join us in real vintage racing instead? Call Chris Vandergrift at HMSA. We'd love to have ya.
63Corvette
You got me to thinking things over again and now I am leaning to keeping the body stock and maybe try some vintage racing. I held an SCCA competition license for 10 years, so it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a vintage license.
What is HMSA and where do they race. I have been looking at CSRG here in Northern California.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

RAFT, I didn't know you ran a C3...........
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

63Corvette
You got me to thinking things over again and now I am leaning to keeping the body stock and maybe try some vintage racing. I held an SCCA competition license for 10 years, so it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a vintage license.
What is HMSA and where do they race. I have been looking at CSRG here in Northern California.
HMSA is the parent vintage racing (sanctioning) organization of the Monterey Historic races, and is located in California....right in your backyard. Here is a link to their homepage: http://www.hmsausa.com/
Give em a call. Tell um I sent ya

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for fender flares for mid year

Quick Reply: Looking for fender flares for mid year