Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from a C5 to a C6? Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Anyone go from a C5 to a C6? Thoughts

I've read a lot about C6's being twitchy compared to C5's on the track.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Easy to fix?

What are the biggest differences in handling and overall feel?

I just looked and saw what used C6's are going for
Old 11-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did...but had to miss two track weekends due to some issues. my next weekend scheduled is not til Dec. I am in the process of finding a track only car, so maybe I will never have the new c6 on the track to really find out the difference.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:43 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never driven a C5 on track, but I definitely wouldn't describe my C6 as twitchy!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:39 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have driven a bunch of C5's, have driven 1 C6 ZO6 (mine) and I think the C6Z handles (alot) better. I can't speak for a standard C6 compared for a C5.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I have driven a bunch of C5's, have driven 1 C6 ZO6 (mine) and I think the C6Z handles (alot) better. I can't speak for a standard C6 compared for a C5.
So you're saying that the C6 Z handles better than a prepped C5? How? I mean the chassis is inherintly the same setup.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:25 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
So you're saying that the C6 Z handles better than a prepped C5? How? I mean the chassis is inherintly the same setup.
Pardon me, how did you figure I said that? I was referring stock to stock. There are alot of differences, wheelbase, track width, totally different rear upper A-arms, different bushings, different shock valving, different wheel offsets, different spring and bar rates, etc, weight, weight distribution, chassis stiffness, CG and roll center differences, etc.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Ah... yeah... stock for stock I getcha, and fully agree.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Never had a C5, but I would definitely describe my C6 as twitchy under heavy braking. Coming down from high speeds the car is just a handful. Maybe I don't have the setup right, or maybe it's the driver (probably the driver) Otherwise, I find the car develops fantastic grip and is well balanced.

Also, it is my opinion that the regular C6 is down on power to a C5Z despite their similar ratings on HP. I don't hit the tech/performance section too much, but based on light reading I think a stock C6 dynos at about 340-350 RWHP as opposed to 380ish for a C5Z. My experience on the track re-enforces this. I will have mine tuned to remove the TM "feature" and might toss a few bolt ons this offseason.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I'm no expert, but have an '04 C5 w Auto.

Test drove an '02 C5Z with performance mods and a C6.

To me the feel of the C6 was in a totally different class.

I felt the C6 was a lot smoother.

I've had my '05 C6 on the track and am really pleased with it's performance.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
Never had a C5, but I would definitely describe my C6 as twitchy under heavy braking. Coming down from high speeds the car is just a handful. Maybe I don't have the setup right, or maybe it's the driver (probably the driver) Otherwise, I find the car develops fantastic grip and is well balanced.
How high speed? You mentioned this before but in the two big brake zones at Thunderhill I never notice it ... braking from 130 or so. That's stock tires and mild alignment (-1.1f, -0.9r, slight toe out front, slight toe in rear).
Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Certainly am still learning have a lot more to learn about driving, but after i got hooked on track events a couple of yrs ago , i have a C5 vert, not a good track car, also had one of the first C6 Z51's, took it to quite a few track days, noted that it felt like my lexus sedan compared to the C5 so instead of doing track upgrades on it i got silver, an 01 Z06 and am happy as can be the car is responsive, communicates well with me, and always puts a smile on my face, The C6 was fun, but felt numb like it was isolating me from the track .
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I've read a lot about C6's being twitchy compared to C5's on the track.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Easy to fix?

What are the biggest differences in handling and overall feel?

I just looked and saw what used C6's are going for
What's been written has referred to corner exit...putting the throttle down too quickly on the stock run flats. You will notice that even though the scribes fault the C6 for this it most always comes out on top in lap times.

After 6 track events this year I wouldn't say there is much difference in the handling, just the HP.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thanks for the input.

I'm at one of those points where I put money in my car and basically am thowing it away...yes I know putting the money in a C6 is the same but the well isn't as deep

I can fetch 22K for my car I'd guess being reasonable. Heads/Cam(400rwhp), headers, huge stereo(all MB Quartz speakers w/ solo baric sub 1600watts), cage, harnesses, all Z06 bits, Cavaggio rear fascia, Corsa Indy exhaust with E-cutouts, HID's, Motorsport Wheels, very annoying super duper alarm, Honker, basically every single thing that can be done. Chassis has 78K but the motor was a brand new out of the box installed dealer 04 with probably less than 20K on it. Suspension parts have less than 20K on them and all the work was professionally done.

The car had a 408 iron block that the original owner wanted to keep so they popped in a 04 long block with lightly ported heads and a cam. 918 Springs, Harland Sharp Rockers, all the bells and whistles.

I really want a TT car again and pouring 10K into this car just doesn't make as much sense as doing it to a C6 considering the creature comforts I'd pick up.

I can buy a very quiet easy to drive C6, put on a TT kit, some tires and pads and go out without the rumbling car I have now and probably go just as fast if not faster and have more fun.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Also, it is my opinion that the regular C6 is down on power to a C5Z despite their similar ratings on HP. I don't hit the tech/performance section too much, but based on light reading I think a stock C6 dynos at about 340-350 RWHP as opposed to 380ish for a C5Z. My experience on the track re-enforces this. I will have mine tuned to remove the TM "feature" and might toss a few bolt ons this offseason.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them!
Matt, the C5Zs I have seen (quite a few) dyno more around 355-365
. I don't recall ever seeing a STOCK C5Z dyno at 380.

Your car looked somewhat twitchy braking for T1 at VIR last month, but my C6Z (and Jody's car) did essentially the same thing at that spot. I don't think it's a C6 problem, but rather a track surface problem (ripples) at that particular spot. In my experience, if you are on ABS over the ripples, it upsets the car.

Your C6 is certainly nailed down around the rest of VIR, at least looking at it from my car.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Frank's right, my car is squiggly under hard braking, particularily at T.1 at VIR, too. It kinda feels like a covey of quail is fluttering in my azz, it's not unpleasant, rather refreshing, in fact! My car has done that since day 1, but it seems to be manageable, just a little funny feeling. His C6Z had some rearend movement under braking going on too. Must just be a characteristic of these Vettes.

BTW, Matt, most of the ECU stock C5z's are somewhere between mid 350's to low 360's from all I been able to ascertain. There might be another ~8hp available with a tune.

This C5 to C6 topic is pretty timely. The day for me to make up my mind on what to do with my car and my track future is coming within the next few months. I have to decide whether to go W2W (NASA) in a caged car, trade for a C6 or something compatible, or just quit entirely. The C5Z is a fabulous car for the track. It is well sorted out, the weak points have been identified and solutions found. I can't imagine going through that process again in a C6 or something else, but I'm going to need to do something.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Falcon
Frank's right, my car is squiggly under hard braking, particularily at T.1 at VIR, too. It kinda feels like a covey of quail is fluttering in my azz, it's not unpleasant, rather refreshing, in fact! My car has done that since day 1, but it seems to be manageable, just a little funny feeling. His C6Z had some rearend movement under braking going on too. Must just be a characteristic of these Vettes.

BTW, Matt, most of the ECU stock C5z's are somewhere between mid 350's to low 360's from all I been able to ascertain. There might be another ~8hp available with a tune.

This C5 to C6 topic is pretty timely. The day for me to make up my mind on what to do with my car and my track future is coming within the next few months. I have to decide whether to go W2W (NASA) in a caged car, trade for a C6 or something compatible, or just quit entirely. The C5Z is a fabulous car for the track. It is well sorted out, the weak points have been identified and solutions found. I can't imagine going through that process again in a C6 or something else, but I'm going to need to do something.
You guys are pissing all over my excuse! And I don't believe a word of the dyno BS...

It's probably just me being a sissy with the braking then, my previous car was rock solid no matter how bad you screwed it up under braking. Of course it wasn't quite as fast either.

You know you want a C6Z Jody-you and Rob can pimp them in his Renegade; Team Miller Lite!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Matt, the C5Zs I have seen (quite a few) dyno more around 355-365
. I don't recall ever seeing a STOCK C5Z dyno at 380.

Your car looked somewhat twitchy braking for T1 at VIR last month, but my C6Z (and Jody's car) did essentially the same thing at that spot. I don't think it's a C6 problem, but rather a track surface problem (ripples) at that particular spot. In my experience, if you are on ABS over the ripples, it upsets the car.

Your C6 is certainly nailed down around the rest of VIR, at least looking at it from my car.

Frank Gonzalez
Well it feels pretty nailed down most of the time, I'm just frustrated it's not showing up on the watch. Oh well, more seat time is in order!

Hey how did you fair in the straights against that real fast black (supercharged?) Mustang? I've got some footage of both of you clowns leaving me for dead in the back straight...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone go from a C5 to a C6? Thoughts

Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

If it were a strict track card I'd just stick with the C5, but this is also my DD in the summer.

The wife likes the car but likes the C6 in Orange better...plus if I'm starting fresh I can do TT's, some simple suspension mods and keep it quiet and driveable.

No more wincing when I start the car in the garage with the windows rattling and clothes smelling of exhaust

I have one other matter for us to take care of that is outside of the cars. Once thats done I'll be putting up the C5 for sale. Hopefully sooner rather than later since I'd like the entire winter to find the right deal.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

You know you want a C6Z Jody-you and Rob can pimp them in his Renegade; Team Miller Lite!
That, my friend, is a helluva idea! I'll pass that by him when he's drunk and see if I can get a contract signed for just that!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpm30236
.....The C6 was fun, but felt numb like it was isolating me from the track .

Maybe it is because I have a lot of seat time in a C5 but the C6's I have driven lacked "driver feedback". The C6Z definitely has the beans to back up its looks and is blistering fast on a road course - while the brakes and tires hold up ( a problem shared with the C5).

C5s are definitely the cheaper track option and a C6 Z51 is not really a contender for the C5Z - stock to stock - in what I have seen. But C6's are being built today with new car warranties and that lovely new car smell...

Being a research kind of guy I am willing to set up an exhaustive set of tests at all the finest locations to determine "the best" - just as soon as I can locate a compatible fund cite....

Quick Reply: Anyone go from a C5 to a C6? Thoughts