Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Mufflers (lower decibles please!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Mufflers (lower decibles please!)

Suggestions local/distant...all creative forms like stuffing pipes with steel wool, please step in.

Thanx---Ed
Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Super Trapp
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Spiral Turbo Specialties, they are used by many SCCA GT-1 competitors up here in the NE area to pass the tight sound specs at LRP and NHIS. You can vary the noise by how much of a cap you put over the center tube. This is what I have.

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/

Dr. Gas is a VERY smart guy and most if not all NASCAR cars use his stuff. I don't know how quiet they can get.

http://www.drgas.com/store/home.php

Last edited by ghoffman; 11-06-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spirals are an effective way to reduce noise without killing power. I used them on my '72 LT-1 BSP car with the 4" Hooker sidepipes and high compression. Radical decible reduction from the glass packs that were partially blown out. Another nice thing about the spirals that Gary linked to, is that they are very easily removeable.
i am sure that you already know this , but X-pipes are effective also in peak noise reduction, but the spirals will do a better job. I'd do both.

Gary thanks for the spiral link, I forgot about these guys. I may do spirals on both of my Z06's, looks like I can loose some more wieght.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
MistressMotorsports
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree with John Shiels. I used Supertrapps on my C4 race car. For most tracks, I ran with no discs and no endcaps. Then, for Laguna, I ran with discs and caps tuned to the limit that the noise police would allow. Usually that was about 12-13 discs per muffler. On a decent powered motor, they do sap some power when they get the car quieted down, but losing some power and keeping the noise police happy was a better alternative to not running. If you aren't going to Laguna or other severely noise restricted tracks, then there are many options that will be louder but flow better.

Mike
Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the options...gives me a few ways to go.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

We use the Dr Gas Spintech muffler's on our L-98 C4. I dont know exactly what the DB's are but we pass at waterford hills and they have a 75 DB limit. They measure sound at a wall that is about 100-150 away from the straight that you are at Wide open throttle.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

We also have a corvette challenge x-box crossover with 1 5/8'' headers. No emissions and it still passes the DB limit at waterford and sounds damn good too!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About 5 yrs ago I tried the Supertrapps. However, no matter how careful I was I had continual problems crossthreading the screws which attatch the disc plates and cap to the muffler housing. I finally just gave up and tossed them. Hopefully, they've improved.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
MistressMotorsports
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the key to the Supertrapp screws is to be liberal with anti-sieze. I never had a problem with them. Of course, you could also leave one or two screws out without a problem.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Mufflers (lower decibles please!)

Quick Reply: Racing Mufflers (lower decibles please!)