Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Mountain Corvette Days- Stories, Pictures & Videos

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Spring Mountain Corvette Days- Stories, Pictures & Videos

I logged on tonight.

I was surprised no one has posted anything regarding the Corvette Days track event at Spring Mountain this past weekend November 4-5.

Let me start things off by saying I had a great time. I wish to thank Janet and Mike Curran for their hard work, thank the whole Spring Mountain staff for their hospitality and the my sincere appreciation for the corners workers who spend the day in the sun to keep us safe.

Here is some in-car video I took on Saturday.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52593834410947

Please rate the video and make comments on the Google site. I be curious to read what folks think and it promotes the better placement of the video.

These laps are mostly in the 2:34 to 2:37 range on the 3.1 mile track. I did not get any video from Sunday when I was running mostly in the 2:31 to 2:34 range. The fast laps on Sunday were really clean and hence the faster times than Saturday. But Saturday's videos are actually better. I make a number of driving errors that force me to hustle and gather the car back up. I think I learn more from these videos as I see where I am making my mistakes that cost me time.

Once you get past the warm-up lap shown on the two recorded Saturday sessions my speed picks up. I do get slowed a number of times by traffic that does not point me by in a timely manner. At the beginning of the video I get caught by Too Tall Bob as I wait to get a point by. You can see him in my mirror really zoom up behind me. He is on my tale for a whole lap before he gets a car problem. Too bad! We were really beginning to have fun. We both over-drive our cars a bit with me almost losing it a couple of times and Bob, too.

I met a lot of great new people and other folks I have known from before. I also had my too sons there age 6 and 12. They had a great time and I would like to thank everyone for their patience with the young rascals and some of you even helped make sure they stayed out of mischief!

Let's hear some more stories, pictures and video!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched some of the footage - looks like a blast. Is that your car or an SM rented Z? If yours what's your setup/mods? What data acq system are you using? You must be on slicks as I saw temporary G readings of 1.7+ and many over 1G thru seemingly "easy" corners.

Do you always run with AH off? What brakes, etc?

I'm a 10+ hour drive away and I know someone who flys in for the weekend and says it's well worth the $$$$

Cheers,
Phil
Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have no fear, Oli. Glad you had a safe and fun weekend. What happened to TooTall's car? I hope it was fix-able.....

I guess my 2:39 on street tires is still respectable... hehe
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck

You have no fear, Oli. Glad you had a safe and fun weekend. What happened to TooTall's car? I hope it was fix-able.....

2:39 on street tires is a fantastic time! We miss seeing you out there Hans!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GreekPT
I watched some of the footage - looks like a blast. Is that your car or an SM rented Z? If yours what's your setup/mods? What data acq system are you using? You must be on slicks as I saw temporary G readings of 1.7+ and many over 1G thru seemingly "easy" corners.

Do you always run with AH off? What brakes, etc?

I'm a 10+ hour drive away and I know someone who flys in for the weekend and says it's well worth the $$$$

Cheers,
Phil
I was running a tired (why am always typing in dumb puns?) set of Kumho V710's. Those are DOT-R tires. I thought briefly about putting on a fresher set of tires and going for a 2:30 or even a 2:29, but I will save that for January!

This car is my car. It is T1 prepped, although I have not yet run it in SCCA as I only bought it two weeks ago. I am still making a few more tweaks to it.

Yes, I alway run with AH handling completely off. How could you tell? I guess my sloppy driving showed that....

The brakes are stock, per T1 regulations, with race pads I think from Hawk, but I am not sure as I am running the car as I got her. I think the Porterfields and Carbotechs do a better job of stopping the car than whatever is on there now. At least it feels that way in my Z16.

The data acquisition system is a DataCam2.

Last edited by Olitho; 11-06-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck

Oh yeah, regarding Too Tall's car, I think I will let him answer as the problem was only speculation at the track, but it was spitting up oil and making a noise that sounded like a broken ring... at least that is what TTB said as I did not personally hear it.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

FEED ME!

I need more...

Thanx Oli...think about the ricers at Redline!

Ed
Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Hans Delbruck]

I guess my 2:39 on street tires is still respectable... hehe[/QUOTEHans--I believe we used the 1.5 mile coarse when you ran a 2:39.We ran the 3.1 this last weekend--lol lol
Old 11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Originally Posted by Z11409
Hans--I believe we used the 1.5 mile coarse when you ran a 2:39.We ran the 3.1 this last weekend--lol lol
actually I think it was just after the track had been paved, was my first time on it, and it was really slippery... probably would have been a 2:36 otherwise.... Missed you guys!!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
avalonn
Advanced

I was there with my 2 month yoa 03 z completely stock. I think my best was a 2:54. I certainly have some work to do. i had a great time though and will be returning in january. I hope you pomona guys will be coming back too, met some new friends.. great staff, thanks victor for hooking me up.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWESOME>

I am editing my own video I shot inside the car at Spring Mountain.

Sorry it wont be as exciting but I did pull a 2:53 in a stock Z51 !!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

2:53s and 2:54s in stock cars on street tires are good lap times. It is all fun and it is a great challenge.

Were you guys running with your Active Handling turned on or off?

Bring on that video LAPI!!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
avalonn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Olitho
2:53s and 2:54s in stock cars on street tires are good lap times. It is all fun and it is a great challenge.

Were you guys running with your Active Handling turned on or off?

Bring on that video LAPI!!

competition mode on always for me. unless you screw up a line big time (twice for me) i never noticed it coming on at all. im just glad i never put a tire off, i have enough paint chips.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 PM
avalonn
Advanced

olitho, thx for posting the video. i learned a few thing i was doing wrong by watching it. it seems i revving 2nd gear opposed to using the torque in third on a few places on the track.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by avalonn
olitho, thx for posting the video. i learned a few thing i was doing wrong by watching it. it seems i revving 2nd gear opposed to using the torque in third on a few places on the track.
Keep in mind I am running DOT-R race tires. Therefore I might be able to carry more speed through the turn and use 3rd in a few places that it is not practical for you to run 3rd. Just a thought....

How do your lines through the corners compare?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Oli ur the man thanks, your videos always rock, awesome car control
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
avalonn
Advanced

Keep in mind I am running DOT-R race tires. Therefore I might be able to carry more speed through the turn and use 3rd in a few places that it is not practical for you to run 3rd. Just a thought....

Lines are good through the faster parts of the track and im happy with my speed. I think im trying to go too fast through the slower corners. I will take this with me yo sm in january.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain Corvette Days- Stories, Pictures & Videos

Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Jeese Oli! Always the used scrubs Times are fast as is and probably fastest Vette on the 3.1 track Tell you what, I'll give you a deal on new Hoosier AS03 or 4's (305/335 18's) just to see you put down another 2 or 3 seconds 2:29's/8's on the 3.1...whatch ya say? They're at OCC ready for your pick up ...then we can see if the rumours are true as far as sticky new out of the box!

Ed
Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Hey I called OCC on the way home from work today to see about bringing my car in for a few things. I heard your new powerplant was in. I was not going to stop by, but then I changed my mind.

I stopped by and took a look at that beauty. All I can say is WOW!!!

I will stay out of your way on the track or attach one of those yellow 20,000 lb tow straps from your rear tow hook to the one on the front of my car.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:35 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Hey I called OCC on the way home from work today to see about bringing my car in for a few things. I heard your new powerplant was in. I was not going to stop by, but then I changed my mind.

I stopped by and took a look at that beauty. All I can say is WOW!!!

I will stay out of your way on the track or attach one of those yellow 20,000 lb tow straps from your rear tow hook to the one on the front of my car.

Thanx buddy! At this point, I'm staying away from OCC until I know it's running...just too hard seeing her in that condition.

The Engine has a lot of research and specialty tricks to it to keep it spinning long and true at 8K RPM's. I wanted to keep all that power to the rear with the 7 1/4" Tilton Triple Metalic(hope I made the right choice and it doesn't chatter me right out of the car)...will be a joy to get back to the track with you all eventually, though this will be a completely differentstyle/feel of driving(or should I say Piloting!

The journey continues...

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain Corvette Days- Stories, Pictures & Videos